Leasing a car

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Why did you have to give up your lease 2 years in?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm, this thread has me considering leasing after my 2000 Civic finally dies(waiting for a serious engine or transmission problem). Would it make sense for someone who puts REALLY low mileage on a car to lease? Just to give you an idea, I bought this car used in October of 2003 with 41k miles. It's at 88k now. I've done the math and theoretically pumping $1k repairs into my Civic every 6 months is still cheaper than buying a new car when you consider increased insurance.

Is leasing an option financially comparable? Or is it just always a loser for the security of never having surprise repairs?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We leased our Explorer because I didn't want to put a huge down payment on a car. My wife drives 5 miles round trip to her job as a teacher. We did buy the interior protection plan because we have a dog and a new baby and I can just imagine his dirty paws and our kid throwing up on the car. We got it for cost according to the dealership (my wife's sister in law's brother is the director of sales where we got the car from so I believe him) and it added like $15 a month to our lease payment.

3 months later and I am finally getting over thinking that I made a huge mistake just not buying a car. But really, we compared all the pros and cons posted in this thread and Buying a Car and we made the best decision for us.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So something "involuntary" but related to you running out of finances, not like the dealership saying "Haha! We need it back right now!".

Without that detail could've given a very different picture.

Vaclav

Hmmm, this thread has me considering leasing after my 2000 Civic finally dies(waiting for a serious engine or transmission problem). Would it make sense for someone who puts REALLY low mileage on a car to lease? Just to give you an idea, I bought this car used in October of 2003 with 41k miles. It's at 88k now. I've done the math and theoretically pumping $1k repairs into my Civic every 6 months is still cheaper than buying a new car when you consider increased insurance.

Is leasing an option financially comparable? Or is it just always a loser for the security of never having surprise repairs?
Deathwing - I think we're identical twins when it comes to driving - got my 2001 Mercury Sable in 2005 with 82k on it and it's just about to hit 112k. And the repairs are really what's doing it for me - the idea of being warrantied "for life" indirectly via leasing and having a predictable $X every month and only a little more in insurance costs (I was getting quoted $92/mo for full coverage on a new lease vs. $51/mo I pay right now for the state minimums) instead of $1-2k in repairs every couple years sounds like a dream come true to me.

With me trying to budget our lives to our disability checks for now (although I'm working on my return to work) - $1-2k repair bills when they show up end up coming out of my trust money I really hate touching and am hoping to sign off in full to the nieces and nephews - with leasing, sure I won't ever be "free of paying for the car" but then again with insurance and gas I never am anyhow, $110/mo + random $X amounts sometimes vs. $300/mo really makes $300/mo look appealing here for damn sure.

Rhuobhe

N00b
Finance an inexpensive but reliable vehicle and keep it for 10 years. Leasing is only good for those who want to switch cars every 2-3 years with the same dealer.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How do you determine that a car will be reliable for 10 years though? Even in the last few years I've heard mention of some cars from surprising companies(ford and kia) for reliability.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Leasing can work out for you depending upon your situation. A coworker's boyfriend just leased a $30,000+ truck which I am positive is going to end up being a terrible deal for him, given his history with cars (significant damage to every one of them), financial situation, and driving massive miles over the allotment. Add that to the fact that I'm certain he'll be tired of it and want to give it up/trade it in at the end of the lease, he's going to get fucked.

I leased my current car 11 years ago, with the express intent of keeping it after the lease period ended. I wanted the car long-term, and I wanted the security of a new car warranty, but my financial situation put me in a position of not wanting to pay double the amount per month for a new car payment. Now, I clearly could have just bought a used car, and I looked high and low for something reliable for around the same monthly payment. I'll admit, I found a few that would have worked, assuming that they were reliable (no way to really know that for certain ahead of time). But the warranty kept me coming back to the lease, because I'm not a mechanic and I don't know any that I trust. If I did, I'd be telling a completely different story I'm sure.

So I leased it, knowing that I wanted to buy it afterward. It definitely cost me more in insurance since you have to have certain levels of insurance to lease and I didn't need them for my old car, but not enough difference to change my decision. When the time came for the lease to renew, I just got a new loan for the residual, and continued paying around the same amount per month. They never looked at it, never checked the mileage, nothing. I could have been 100,000 miles over the limit and beat the car to shit, but since I was buying it anyway, it didn't matter. It ended up being a 4-year lease and a 4-year purchase, and paying 8 years on a car that is nothing special is a long fucking time, and I know that I paid thousands of dollars more in total...but I was ok with that. I knew my situation, had a plan, and was ok with spending more spread out over a longer time to have some extra security. As well as some time to get my finances back on track. Keeping it even longer has certainly helped too.

Would I do it now? Of course not, but my situation is different. If you're really struggling, but can't afford to worry about extra repair bills popping up randomly, it is at least something to consider and not discard immediately because of the stigma. Even if you don't buy it at the end like I did, and want to keep leasing a new one, there are benefits to it. To me, it is entirely different than buying something like a TV that you don't really need on credit, and paying the minimum every month, racking up interest charges and paying double the price in the end. Aside from the "need" for one over the other, there is (usually) no unexpected maintenance with a TV like there is with a car. Buying a used car is always at least a little bit of a risk, and if you absolutely can't afford that risk, leasing might be the right answer even if it ends up costing you more in the long run. It isn't the right answer for everyone (the guy I mentioned above for example), but it isn't the huge mistake everyone used to think it was either.

I do want to stress that if you can do your own repairs or know someone that can be trusted not to screw you to do them, if you are in the situation I was in, a used car should be your first choice, always. Also, many used cars still have a warranty left on them, but typically you are going to end up paying a lot for those still and it probably doesn't fit into the "limited budget" I'm describing. If I could have afforded a 2-year old used car with 4 or so years left on the warranty, I would have. But if you can afford that, you aren't leasing for the reasons I did anyway, you're just leasing to have a new car every few years.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How do you determine that a car will be reliable for 10 years though? Even in the last few years I've heard mention of some cars from surprising companies(ford and kia) for reliability.
I basically go by the motto of "japanese = reliable". Sure, American are better now, but I still don't trust them. I'd rather go with the tried and tested.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
A good rule of thumb for leasing cars. If the car has a high resale value, you lease it for less every month.

I was looking at a 2013 Audi A4. They wanted a minimum of $600 a month to lease a car that had a window sticker of $42,800.00
I also looked at a 2013 Mercedes C300. They wanted $500 a month to lease a car that had a window sticker of $45,500.00

I ended up going with the Mercedes. Talked them down to $415 a month, but then put a service & tire package into the lease as well. My total monthly is $461 as a result.
I'm glad that I went with both the tire and service packages. Just today I scraped my rim after a dump truck driver forced me onto the shoulder to go around his broken down truck. I did a minor blemish to the rim as well as the tire itself. The package covers repairing the rim as well as replacing the tire if the tire is actually damaged. Aside from that, if I ever break a rim somehow... like hitting a REALLY nasty pot hole... It's a completely free repair. I guess minus any sort of suspension work I would need to get done, but the rim alone is $1800, so it's WELL worth getting a tire package in this situation.

227297.jpg

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I should say my wife treated her car great, the main problem was the mileage. The guy started ticking off things we'd have to pay for and was a real asshole about it. We decided never to give them business again after we bought it so we bought my 2013 accord at another Honda dealer in another city. Probably varies dealer to dealer
Everyone I know who has leased has always gone over their mileage, I never talk to them about the raping they receive afterwards but I'm sure it hurts.

Finance an inexpensive but reliable vehicle and keep it for 10 years. Leasing is only good for those who want to switch cars every 2-3 years with the same dealer.
I like this plan or just buying a used reliable car.

how many times has toyota issued recalls in the past five years?
How many of those were for reliability issues and not crumpled up floormats that cause a retard panic?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I basically go by the motto of "japanese = reliable". Sure, American are better now, but I still don't trust them. I'd rather go with the tried and tested.
Yeah, I've known several people who have had Corollas for anywhere from 5 to 10 years and I can count the number of issues they've had on one hand (for all of them together!). My dad's Corolla is going on 7 years and the only issue he had was a minor a/c thing in year 4 or 5. My Chevy Cavalier died a little over a year ago and after dealing with that piece of shit I swore I'd never buy another American car.

I was in a similar situation as the OP because I had little money for a down payment and I was only earning $1400/month. I debated leasing due to the drastically reduced monthly payments, but I sucked it up and financed the cheapest, new Corolla I could find.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Is it possible to lease a hybrid car? I've been thinking about that, if you have a short commute to work you don't have to buy gas and the lease ensures you don't have to deal with long term reliability problems with the batteries.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm not a fan of leasing, but I've helped my mom lease a couple of cars. I only think leasing is a good idea if you're the type of person who must have a new car every few years. I'm not that type, I still drive a 2001 with 400k miles that I bought new, and I plan to keep driving it till at least a million miles because I wanna see what the odometer does. It's electronic so I can't tell if it's got room for another digit.

Anyway, my experience is that they are not willing to deal on the price at all once you tell them its a lease. Maybe that's just a buick thing, because that's what my mom likes to drive. I see at least one of you was able to wheel and deal (the person who had a brother in law at the dealership doesn't count).

Building equity is not bullshit, I don't get why anyone would think that. When you take equity into account, you're paying a little more to buy a typical car in 3 years compared to leasing. Take the loan/lease term out to 5 years though, and you're paying quite a bit more for the lease.

When you're negotiating, be sure to get numbers for a buy too. In my experience, you don't save enough on the payments when you do a lease. You'd think that since you're 'only paying for half the car', the payments would be half, but it doesn't work out that way because with a lease, you're paying the interest on the full note the entire time.

Also, the commercials for the leasing companies really piss me off. They say, "You're paying for half the car, why not pay for the new half". And when I'm in a bad mood, I start screaming "because the fucking car is going to last more than 6 years you stupid fucking cunt"

Sorry, back to the topic at hand. The miles should not be a problem unless you're clueless. There's always an option to buy the miles up front for a much discounted rate. I can see it being tough for younger drivers to figure that out, but for me, I could tell you in probably 15 minutes how many miles i'd driven over the past few years, because I get reimbursed periodically and have to write them down. Plus, it's not hard to keep track of your miles and park the car for a while if you're going over. I know, I know WAH WAH my commute got longer. Some things we can't control, but even in that case you might be able to car pool with someone.

So, bottom line. I recommend a used car. If you wanna lease anyway, get the facts and haggle just as if you were buying a new car (there's a new car thread here that probably has good info). If they won't give you a good price, tell them to fuck off and leave (this is actually a lot of fun and my favorite part of buying a car). Sit down and figure out how much you actually drive, add 20% to that number and buy mileage ahead of time (note I don't mean sit down with google maps and a calculator, write down your fucking mileage every once in a while and see how far you actually went). And finally, be sure to at least look into the cost of buying the same car. You might be surprised at how much money you're not saving with that lease.

Vaclav

Is it possible to lease a hybrid car? I've been thinking about that, if you have a short commute to work you don't have to buy gas and the lease ensures you don't have to deal with long term reliability problems with the batteries.
Not sure on hybrids - but I did notice the Nissan Leaf (100% electric) is apparently leaseable and shockingly affordable compared to the last time I saw it priced. [$199/mo lease I think it was with $3k down?]

Vaclav

So, bottom line. I recommend a used car. If you wanna lease anyway, get the facts and haggle just as if you were buying a new car (there's a new car thread here that probably has good info). If they won't give you a good price, tell them to fuck off and leave (this is actually a lot of fun and my favorite part of buying a car). Sit down and figure out how much you actually drive, add 20% to that number and buy mileage ahead of time (note I don't mean sit down with google maps and a calculator, write down your fucking mileage every once in a while and see how far you actually went). And finally, be sure to at least look into the cost of buying the same car. You might be surprised at how much money you're not saving with that lease.
I'd say it depends on luck more than anything - I have shit luck with used cars man - I've been a used man my entire life to date only buying new for the wife because she insisted on having a new car to learn on (which now that she's licensed she barely touches but still doesn't want to share.... sad, eh?). And seriously for every reasonably priced ($5-10k) used I've bought them in full, but then had to dump $1-2k in repairs every other year in addition to scheduled shit, and I might drive 5k/mi a year. [Not to mention having 3 surprise failures in my life on cars which are always fun to have to draw on my trust I hate to use...]

Literally with how my luck has been leasing would cost me almost the same as buying a used simply because of all the repairs being warrantied for the life of the lease - and it'll actually be a nice new car rather than a beater. Maybe if I went for a $15-20k used I'd have better luck, but at that point why even bother buying used - I'd just buy new at that point.

It might not work out for everyone, but it's certainly something I've never done that has an obvious appeal in my situation - and frankly I've got a feeling more Americans are coming around to feeling the same since Consumer's was quoting leasing was 12% of sales in 2012 and in 2013 it's 27.5% - clearly people are starting to come around on the idea.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
no offense, but it sounds like you might be a terrible judge of the soundness of a car. Possibly also a terrible judge of the character of the person you're dealing with. Out of curiosity, do you get carFax reports and have a good mechanic check a car out before buying? If you do buy used again, maybe you should go to the extra trouble and do those things.