Legend of Korra, Book 2: Spirits

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Because politics, Avatar is supposed to bring peace and balance, not murder anyone that crosses her path. Killing leaders would just bring chaos and she can't be the omnipresent world police. He is also one of the few people who know stuff about spirits and those seem to be the bigger threat at the moment.
Wait, what? Are we watching the same show?

Because in the show I watched, there was an entire episode dedicated to explaining how the Avatars have murdered bad leaders over and over and over again, in the Episode where Aang is trying to find a way to nullify Sozen without killing him. Also I said smack him down and toss him in jail. He can still be useful for his connection to the spirits, if that's what she wanted--she has the power to take him down politically and force the subjugation of the tribe. Again, Roku did that to the Firelord himself, in the scene I linked, because he didn't want to kill him--so he blew up his throne, dismantled the colony and embarrassed the shit out of the Firelord. About a dozen other Avatars did stuff like that as well (The Avatars Aang met on the Lion Turtle is essentially list times they've done this.)

So where exactly are you getting this? Because it doesn't seem present anywhere else in the series. Even Aang had no problem throwing down with political leaders who stepped out of line, heck in the comic he was about to murder Zuko for not listening to him and only changed his mind at the last minute because of something Katara said to him.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm not sure you realize it, but she did not kill him. He was fucking retarded and stayed there and the ground just HAPPENED to crumble down.

Please re-watch the series and read the series. It was rare for an Avatar to actually kill someone. The reason why Aang was about to kill Zuko was because out of pure emotion.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not sure you realize it, but she did not kill him. He was fucking retarded and stayed there and the ground just HAPPENED to crumble down.

Please re-watch the series and read the series. It was rare for an Avatar to actually kill someone. The reason why Aang was about to kill Zuko was because out of pure emotion.
Avatar Kyroshi said this to Aang when he said what you're saying. "I don't see the difference". Then she went on to say she would have killed him if he didn't die there. Then he goes on to ask the other pacifist Air Avatar what she would do and she said the Avatar's duty is to the world, and he should be prepared to sacrifice his belief in non-killing, to serve the world. But note: I never even mentioned killing in the original post. The only reason I brought up Kyoshi is because every Avatar Aang has spoken to has said killing is needed; At no point did I say it was common, just that it was done, over and over again during each rebirth. (Hence every Avatar advocating it.)

Also, he was about to kill Zuko because Zuko asked him to if he felt it was right. It wasn't pure emotion, it was Aang dealing with the stress of being in charge of another persons moral compass. Zuko even apologizes for that later, that specific thing: Asking Aang to be in charge of his morality. Again though, this example was meant to illustrate killing aleaderis NOT outside the Avatars sphere of influence if it's required.Nothingmore. Because the premise of his post was that killing a leader would throw the world into imbalance and that's why it's not done. Yet many Avatars said they would do it, or have done it and/or have removed leaders.

Yeah, I need to rewatch the series. Maybe you just need to get through a few posts accurately?

Here is the original post.

What I don't get is why the Avatar is pussy footing around her uncle. We've pretty clearly been shown that the Avatar ranks above the spiritual lords of the respective realms, here.

Do they explain later why she just doesn't Avatar state and smack her uncle down, and tell him he's going tojailor some shit?
lithose_sl said:
AlsoI said smack him down andtoss him in jail. He can still be useful for his connection to the spirits, if that's what she wanted--she has the power totake him down politically and force the subjugation of the tribe. Again, Roku did that to the Firelord himself, in the scene I linked,because he didn't want to kill him--so he blew up his throne, dismantled the colony and embarrassed the shit out of the Firelord. About a dozen other Avatars did stuff like that as well (The Avatars Aang met on the Lion Turtle is essentially list times they've done this.)
Nokillingwas mentioned, even. I even illustrated how other Avatars have done it without killing. I don't even know where the hell you two are getting that from, it's an absurd derail twist you guys have plopped in, I don't know why. The original premise was why doesn't she just go Avatar state, kick his ass, toss him in jail and say "you're no longer the leader". You know, like has been shown ineveryprevious incarnation of the Avatar when they've met a corrupt leader? Which is why my original post said it's pretty obvious the Avatar ranks above respective spiritual leaders in terms of authority.

Using the Avatar state to dethrone a leader was twisted into "murdering everyone in her path", for what reason? Not sure. But thefollowingpost was only showing that killingHASbeen done, and every Avatar we'veEVERseen in the show has been prepared to kill leaders who would not listen (Indicating murdering leaders had been done, over and over), except Aang (But again, as shown, even he was prepared to do it for the greater good.)

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Isn't he also her uncle ? Murdering your own family seems like the last resort, at least until she figured out all the stuff he did.

Last episode was gorgeous, but the ending ... gee, I wonder if the guy who has allied himself with the dark spirit will keep his word after I help him. /facepalm

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well they did say that opening the portal would lead to a big battle between Vaatu and Raava, who is to say that Raava loses? After all through the Avatar Raava now has 10000 years of positive energy to draw upon whereas Vaatu has been stuck in a tree.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well the Korra Nation tumbler blog said they would release the final two episodes tonight online at 12 EST if they got 10k reblogs. They did so we're going to have all four of the last episodes today.
http://korranation.tumblr.com/

I actually would prefer they just release it normally, but oh well. We're going to now have a four episode finale day. Two on TV and two online.
Busy weekend.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
just caught the hr tonite...awesome show tonite. i called the
dark avatar
the second we learned about the light and dark spirits...

midnight i am going to watch the final two episodes.

Cybsled

Ya, kind of a cool concept if they actually go through with it. Although you kinda wonder how the reincarnation would work ;p

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
if you think about it, it might not be reincarnation per se, just the spirit of light finding a newborn of the next bending style almost immediately after the old avatar dies, then fusing that that soul. the "reincarnation" aspect would then be raava's memories

loved the owl's a radio is little men speaking thru the box comment tonite

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Just finished watching the last two episodes.. Pretty damn epic. The way that raava got..... Grin. Great final.

Cybsled

Excellent season. They are doing 3 seasons, right?

Kind of interesting that technically Korra is the end of a previous Avatar cycle and the start of a new one since she has now lost her connection to all 10k years of Avatar past lives

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Excellent season. They are doing 3 seasons, right?

Kind of interesting that technically Korra is the end of a previous Avatar cycle and the start of a new one since she has now lost her connection to all 10k years of Avatar past lives
I'm thinking the reconnection of the Avatar's past lives is going to be what the next season is about. The whole multiple life thing is very central towards gaining enlightenment in a lot of eastern cultures.

Also, on another note: Interesting they chose to have Vatu be a giant monster attacking from the harbor. I say this because Last Airbender drew pretty heavily from WW2 Japanese Imperialism, and used it as a backdrop for a lot of their symbolism. Godzilla, in his original incarnation, was symbolic of Japan living in fear of the United States Atomic Power, which kind of goes with the whole symbolism of the old world being fearful of the new--they've played this up a lot this season and last season. It will be interesting to see if their premise next season is a literal clash between Technology and Spirituality.

Cybsled

If they do the Tech vs. Spirituality thing, I hope they settle on a "we can have both" approach in the end vs. FF7 style "lol tech is bad!!11!".

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If they do the Tech vs. Spirituality thing, I hope they settle on a "we can have both" approach in the end vs. FF7 style "lol tech is bad!!11!".
Same here. I hate overt romanticism that plays up everything Spiritual/Natural>>>>Technology. I like a more nuanced approach to that question; where one thing isn't the answer, rather like with most things, there has to be a balance. Avatar has been pretty good about drawing those kind of subtleties, so if they explore that story, I think it will be neat. They've certainly left a lot of philosophical "roads" open for possible conflict. (Like the fact that light needs dark--so that lack of balance might come up in the next chapter.)

Cybsled

Well, they made it clear that even if one is "destroyed", they really aren't destroyed forever.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, they made it clear that even if one is "destroyed", they really aren't destroyed forever.
Yeah. I was looking at what Korra said about the balance shifting. I was wondering if maybe some kind of "darkness" would grow out of the harmony between Spirits and Humans, as kind of a rebirth--and maybe Korra would learn why Wan just didn't cleanse/destroy Vatu.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just watched the rest of it. Fucking awesome. Now I want seasons 3 and 4 to be done and released already.