Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m way behind the curve but I’ve persisted with TOTK and am enjoying it.

3 temples in. Wind was my favourite so far. Got the desert next.

My only complaint really is how each temples story/cut scenes etc are exactly the same as the others. I’d have expected some variety in them in a AAA game?

I also still find building annoying and barely build anything 😬
My son beat all four temples himself, thought that was pretty cool but also seems kind of easy, he’s 8 and didn’t (he can’t without me) look anything up.

I have been traveling so didn’t see the first two, I did see the cut scene for the third one he beat. Then later I watched him play through the fourth and when the cut scene came up I was confused. I thought maybe he didn’t save the third one and was beating it again so I could see it. Nope…literally the exact cut scene. Wtf was the point of that lol.

Siliconemelons

They are of each persons pov of the same event and the scenes are slightly different but very close, it is all so it can be done in any order.

Its better than the divine beasts in practicality and what it is but imo less so for story beats. If you consider getting to the temples part of it they are much better and engaging, if you consider the actual temple itself vs divine beasts then so far only 2 feel more compelling in all.

also to me the story is hitting slower and lower the botw but I am starting to get to a lead up and hope it has some hits

Chris

Potato del Grande
I’m way behind the curve but I’ve persisted with TOTK and am enjoying it.

3 temples in. Wind was my favourite so far. Got the desert next.

My only complaint really is how each temples story/cut scenes etc are exactly the same as the others. I’d have expected some variety in them in a AAA game?

I also still find building annoying and barely build anything 😬
Imprisoning War? Secret Stone?

Are you doing the flashbacks from the petroglyphs? That's the actual story.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Imprisoning War? Secret Stone?

Are you doing the flashbacks from the petroglyphs? That's the actual story.
I have done all of the flashbacks. I went full on explorer and did all of them before my first temple.

I just feel that for a game of this quality there should be 2 versions of the end cut scene for each temple. One which plays if it’s your first temple and the other which plays when you’ve done any of the other temples already.

The current ones are almost identical, except for a few words.

Also the plot of each temple is exactly the same with some phantom Zelda convincing them to do X.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have done all of the flashbacks. I went full on explorer and did all of them before my first temple.

I just feel that for a game of this quality there should be 2 versions of the end cut scene for each temple. One which plays if it’s your first temple and the other which plays when you’ve done any of the other temples already.

The current ones are almost identical, except for a few words.

Also the plot of each temple is exactly the same with some phantom Zelda convincing them to do X.
Yeah well the highlight of the Zelda story was Midna being fuckable at the end of Twilight Princess, otherwise it's always been pretty crap.

The real achievement here is making a 10/10 game without a good story and without the famous Zelda music.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I'm kind of addicted to watching youtube vids of the various machines people are building. Just saw one where a dude took the fans from one of the shrines, attached them to cookpots that turn from small wheels, attached that to a base with a stabilizer and control, and it's basically a V-22 osprey that works on way lower power draw than regular fans. Attach some lasers/cannons and you have a nice death machine.

That's practical. The crazy impractical ones are weird mechas and torture devices and other lunacy. Or using fish as building materials, lol.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'm kind of addicted to watching youtube vids of the various machines people are building. Just saw one where a dude took the fans from one of the shrines, attached them to cookpots that turn from small wheels, attached that to a base with a stabilizer and control, and it's basically a V-22 osprey that works on way lower power draw than regular fans. Attach some lasers/cannons and you have a nice death machine.

That's practical. The crazy impractical ones are weird mechas and torture devices and other lunacy. Or using fish as building materials, lol.

I've tried to stay away from watching other peoples creations because I kinda wanna make my own, but I saw a screencap for a video that was just a 2 fan bike...that thing is silly and OP.

---

Lore / game wise, anyone know if there is DLC planned for this?

After the...

dragon origin reveal, I wanna know if there is a quest to find out who the origins of the other 3 dragons. Also, there are like 3-4 dragon skeletons in the below, all of which are named "Soandso dragon rest" or something, implying they have importance. I really wanna know what caused all that.

Also, I really want for DLC to make it so that you actually get Zelda back in human form. If anything I would argue that was a mis-step, feels shitty to basically be farming her to upgrade armor all knowing that eventually you save her and return her to human...LOL

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah this ended up like BoTW for me. Was all in for like two weeks and just had enough. Doesn't help I'm not really into stuff like minecraft so the new building focus for this didn't resonate with me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For a "10" game I find it interesting discussion has dropped off pretty quick.
Only the most notorious idiot on the forum claimed it was a 10 I think. I think it is a 10 solely on the creativity aspect you can do but a 6 to 7 on everything else. Overall I give it a 7. My son isn't even all that into it and botw is probably his favorite game. I've had to coax him into playing it to get him back into it, it'll last a few days then he stops then I have to do it again. He is on the 5th sage, has barely done any quests, shrines or koroks compared to what is available in the game, no armor upgrades or even unlocked a single fairy to upgrade them. Not sure why, he's just not that into it this time. Perhaps it is just too much of the same.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Only the most notorious idiot on the forum claimed it was a 10 I think. I think it is a 10 for the creativity aspect you can do but a 6 to 7 on everything else. Overall I give it a 7. My son isn't even all that into it and botw is probably his favorite game. I've had to coax him into playing it to get him back into it, it'll last a few days then he stops then I have to do it again. He is on the 5th sage, has barely done any quests, shrines or koroks compared to what is available in the game, no armor upgrades or even unlocked a single fairy to upgrade them. Not sure why, he's just not that into it this time. Perhaps it is just too much of the same.
Yeah it was a worthwhile waste of time, and the botw world was fun enough to explore a second time, wouldn't say 10 but maybe a 7/10, but I haven't finished it yet and I'd still rank it way above D4 :).

(Separate genres I know but D4 feels like a chore to me as a barb comparatively. )

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
For a "10" game I find it interesting discussion has dropped off pretty quick.
Diablo 4 came out and blew this shit tier nonsense out of the water
I don't want to discuss it, I want to solve it myself.

I don't need an efficient path to find and beat the shrines and get the best loot. There's an ingame feature with the lightroots to find all the shrines, there's multiple ways to kill enemies.

The "discussion" is seeing the crazy builds on YouTube which still seems huge.

Diablo 4 discussion is popping off because everyone is talking about how shit the loot is and epeen on what level they are, something Zelda isn't about.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crisco

A greasy jar
Avoided the thread while i played spoiler free. Have a few shrines left and got all the lightroots and done a fair amount of side quests and adventures.

Game is much better than botw. Even with the building which i dont care for to much to just build something to make something i found it a good addition to come up with unique solutions to any situation and amazes how easy it is and how it doesnt bug at least from what i built.

It is a bit of the same as botw but all the polish and new stuff makes it worth it and a great game overall. The depths were good but lots of wasted potential and empty space. Im no game designer but it should have had something like yiga towns or something that adds more to getting accepted as a member or something . Have you do search missions for lost members that are lost at hidden lightroots or something to add to the tedium of finding them and also adds story to mast khoda or whatever his name is.

Will play again easily in a few months. Some complaints here are pretty dumb. I never had weapon issues once i got more slots and dropping mats to fuse just sort by attack power and add. Could be a bit easier but not the pain i here explained here

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

I have done the mainline story all the way until the final encounter, that I have yet to do or "get to" yet... the depths progression to "find out where" was dumb as it was a useless circle.. "Oh he cant be there! that would be silly, go gallivant around the depths...oh he is there! lulz lets go"

I suppose the story is okay... some of the emotional hits where lacking because of the multi-threads and variable options and paths to get to said story beats.

One longer story quest I did not do was the faeries /music troupe / newspaper so I am starting to do that now- and it is really harsh in the narrative because its all at step 1/2 while you are at the end... I just do not see how they meant to fit this line in with the others. The other "2" main quests kinda weaved together and worked well enough- doing the memories and the sages... but this one really seems tacked on and oddly fit.

I am told, no spoilers bro, that the overall story pays off in the end... so here is to that, I suppose ;)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have done the mainline story all the way until the final encounter, that I have yet to do or "get to" yet... the depths progression to "find out where" was dumb as it was a useless circle.. "Oh he cant be there! that would be silly, go gallivant around the depths...oh he is there! lulz lets go"

I suppose the story is okay... some of the emotional hits where lacking because of the multi-threads and variable options and paths to get to said story beats.

One longer story quest I did not do was the faeries /music troupe / newspaper so I am starting to do that now- and it is really harsh in the narrative because its all at step 1/2 while you are at the end... I just do not see how they meant to fit this line in with the others. The other "2" main quests kinda weaved together and worked well enough- doing the memories and the sages... but this one really seems tacked on and oddly fit.

I am told, no spoilers bro, that the overall story pays off in the end... so here is to that, I suppose ;)
I feel like the newspaper quest is the first thing you should do but all the Breath of the Wild players are just skipping it because they know where to go and what to do already. I've done one or two of them and I'm also at the last boss.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Is it a running joke with this series for every NPC to be startled that you're standing next to them? Nearly every NPC reacts this way when you speak to them.