Let's build some pools!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I just looked it up: 4a?
Holy hell. I’m in 9b. I don’t know if trees can even live up there! Joking aside, I obviously can’t give you a lot of recs from my personal experience.

I know eastern red cedar should do fine, I dig them an lot and have considered throwing some up on my property line. Maybe look into cypress like Leyland or Italian. Junipers too I guess.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fuck with the height of those houses I'd just go with sequoias.
lol. Eastern red cedars can get super tall which is why I was suggesting them. I would not want those houses looking over my fence.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Just don't put crepe myrtles or live oaks around a pool. They drop so much damn trash.

Magnolias also suck. All three of these are popular landscape selections in Texas. Good news is in Houston you can do more tropical stuff that won't drop anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It just looks like a typical new neighborhood 4-7 years old to me with no mature trees. For quick privacy nothing beats Green Giant Arborvitae, especially around a pool where you don’t want general tree trash, seeds, sticks, leaves falling. My last pool was hidden by green giants and ornamental grasses and it was fantastic.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It just looks like a typical new neighborhood 4-7 years old to me with no mature trees. For quick privacy nothing beats Green Giant Arborvitae, especially around a pool where you don’t want general tree trash, seeds, sticks, leaves falling. My last pool was hidden by green giants and ornamental grasses and it was fantastic.

Bingo, we closed on the house the day before Thanksgiving in 2020 and our house was the 2nd one completed in this section by a few weeks. our trees are the oldest in this section and they are right at 3 years old.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How is this design created? Level the ground and lay the turf carpet, set a border to anchor the turf, lay the slabs of tile on top of the turf to create the interior pattern?

1700065284060.png

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
How is this design created? Level the ground and lay the turf carpet, set a border to anchor the turf, lay the slabs of tile on top of the turf to create the interior pattern?

View attachment 500488
We always do concrete/pavers first. Maybe they did it the other way around but I doubt. They would have done all the grading with road base and laid all the pipe for drainages before doing the pavers and turf. Get your pavers correct and just fill in the turf. If you do the Turf first you just gave your guys an extra step of laying and removing forms that's completely unnecessary. Turf is always the last thing I do because I don't want any of my other guys getting on it and potentially fucking it up.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah there’s no way the pavers would be on top of turf. That would be such an unstable/unlevelable surface.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We always do concrete/pavers first. Maybe they did it the other way around but I doubt. They would have done all the grading with road base and laid all the pipe for drainages before doing the pavers and turf. Get your pavers correct and just fill in the turf. If you do the Turf first you just gave your guys an extra step of laying and removing forms that's completely unnecessary. Turf is always the last thing I do because I don't want any of my other guys getting on it and potentially fucking it up.
Ahh. I figured it was just laying a full sheet of turf and then dropping the pavers on it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

View attachment 500488

Beagle and Hateyou are correct. They started with leveling and then sand, then laid the pavers and cement foundation where the turf would go next. Turf was last and really is not very deep at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ok, I have no idea how I found that, I just googled it again (Houston) and it says 9a.

Just don't put crepe myrtles or live oaks around a pool. They drop so much damn trash.

Magnolias also suck. All three of these are popular landscape selections in Texas. Good news is in Houston you can do more tropical stuff that won't drop anything.
Yeah I totally didn’t think of this. Maybe do some eagleston Hollies, if there’s any shade do lady palms can get super tall (slowish growing) but need shade to maintain that dark green look, I mean if you’re in zone 10 you have a ton of palms you can do if that’s your vibe, just look for self pruning like sabal palms. Can also do clumping bamboo varieties. If you get the occasional cold front there are plenty of cold hardy varieties such as graceful, seabreeze, golden hedge, golden goddess, emerald timber etc - just depends on how tall you want it to get and what color you like. Just avoid running varieties..

Also I will do a shameless plug for at least one fruit tree. You can get grafted cold hardy avocados, mangos if your 9b+, and low chill hour grafted peaches depending on how many chill hours you get (lowest chill hour peach I’ve seen is 150)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Weather has been shit this winter, lots of rain at the most inopportune times. Got this one dug, neighbor behind it sits about 2' higher so all their runoff dumps into my yard. I can usually get it to gunite in a week or so which puts an end to worrying about cave ins. Didn't have enough time on this one. At least I didn't have the plumbing in yet but digging it out and redoing the steel is gonna eat some profits on this one. More rain this weekend and earliest I can get it inspected is Friday. No bueno.
IMG_0366.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Weather has been shit this winter, lots of rain at the most inopportune times. Got this one dug, neighbor behind it sits about 2' higher so all their runoff dumps into my yard. I can usually get it to gunite in a week or so which puts an end to worrying about cave ins. Didn't have enough time on this one. At least I didn't have the plumbing in yet but digging it out and redoing the steel is gonna eat some profits on this one. More rain this weekend and earliest I can get it inspected is Friday. No bueno.
View attachment 513375View attachment 513376
Depending on the cost to fix that, would be worth investing in one of the various types of heavy duty quick dam type set up? It would have probably still added risk (in at least that particular case), since the edge of the pool dig out is so close to the fence and your adding weight on top, but it would have prevented runoff from cutting into and eroding it. As a bonus, if they make a durable water bladder dam, you could then dump all the water into the pool when it's done.

2024-02-08 14.18.28 www.google.com e688604c3040.png

Last edited: