Life extension- let’s play EQ1 and keep socking into 2100

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Kublai Khan:
You do not fear death?

Hundred Eyes:
I do not cling to life. There is a difference.
That about sums up my opinions.

I'm still fairly young and in fairly good health, despite doing nothing in particular to aid in the health. Maybe my opinions will change when the wheels start coming off.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I'm still fairly young and in fairly good health, despite doing nothing in particular to aid in the health. Maybe my opinions will change when the wheels start coming off.
It’s best to proactively build the habits that will maintain your health as you age. Age has a habit of creeping up on you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I felt great until I was about 35, then things started accumulating to the point where I was losing sleep occasionally, then regularly, because of injuries.

The good news is that if you can devote an hour a day, 3-6 days a week, you can change a good bunch of that. One of the biggest revelations in my life was understanding that working out is just physical therapy for injuries you already have, and the ones you don't have yet.

My back and knees were pretty bad a year ago, but after building a home gym and devoting the time to it, my back only gives me problems when I'm doing fucked up shit for extended periods of time, and my knees are good more days than they're not. That's a pretty huge thing.

I don't give a shit about appearance though. Can't fight the gray hair and the crows feet. Might as well age gracefully. Occasionally we have guys come into work with huge hives or rashes on their forehead because they got a reaction from their new hair dye.

We laugh a lot.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
working out is just physical therapy for injuries you already have, and the ones you don't have yet.

Can't fight the gray hair

Yesterdays workout I started with some incline bench press. Next to the incline bench press is a gym mirror. I plucked my grey hairs inbetween sets.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I felt great until I was about 35, then things started accumulating to the point where I was losing sleep occasionally, then regularly, because of injuries.

The good news is that if you can devote an hour a day, 3-6 days a week, you can change a good bunch of that. One of the biggest revelations in my life was understanding that working out is just physical therapy for injuries you already have, and the ones you don't have yet.

My back and knees were pretty bad a year ago, but after building a home gym and devoting the time to it, my back only gives me problems when I'm doing fucked up shit for extended periods of time, and my knees are good more days than they're not. That's a pretty huge thing.

I don't give a shit about appearance though. Can't fight the gray hair and the crows feet. Might as well age gracefully. Occasionally we have guys come into work with huge hives or rashes on their forehead because they got a reaction from their new hair dye.

We laugh a lot.
I'm looking forward to being a silver fox. I've got a few coming in here and there now, around my temples and beard.

Biggest issue for me right now is just sleep. I get 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night and I feel like I've been doing that for so long that it's almost impossible to sleep more than that. I just pop awake right about the 6 hour mark. On the rare occasions I can get 8 or 9 hours of sleep, I just feel like a little ray of sunshine. I'm a lot more patient and less irritable when I get more sleep. It's not really a "problem" or anything.....just self observations and criticism.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking forward to being a silver fox. I've got a few coming in here and there now, around my temples and beard.

Biggest issue for me right now is just sleep. I get 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night and I feel like I've been doing that for so long that it's almost impossible to sleep more than that. I just pop awake right about the 6 hour mark. On the rare occasions I can get 8 or 9 hours of sleep, I just feel like a little ray of sunshine. I'm a lot more patient and less irritable when I get more sleep. It's not really a "problem" or anything.....just self observations and criticism.
It’s a problem for sure. I’ve historically been awful with sleep but more by staying up to late than just waking up. There’s quite a bit of research that’s been done on improving “sleep hygiene”. There are a number of highly regarded experts on the field, Matt Walker is one.

I’ve made some headway this year by getting light exposure and bit of exercise in the morning, keeping caffeine consumption after I’ve been up for 1.5 hours and before 3pm, and trying to avoid activities in too late in the evening like gaming or shows where I can easily loose track of time or use the “just one more” rationalization.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ordered a Urevo s3 walking treadmill last night. I spend 8-12 hours a day at the desk at home for work.

You probably won't get result overnight.. going to the gym, eating better and generaly speaking trying to spend as little time sitting as possible should do the trick. Find whatever metric you like and try to do more every month.

Kinda suck when the 'I'm young cheat code' runs out, but with some discipline you'll get most of that energy back.
Gurgeh Gurgeh sorry to bring you into this thread but this post was relevant. Can you give me the TLDR of why sitting as little as possible is bad or maybe point me in the right direction so I can research it?

Will supplementing the gym with at home walking during long work days be beneficial outside the obvious calorie loss?

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A study un-surprinsingly showed that sitting 8+ hours sitting a day was as bad for cardiovascular health as smoking and was barely offset by 1 hour of workout per day. I'll try to find the study, pretty sure I heard of it in a video of Thomas DeLauer but this dude just has top much video.
The bottom line was the less you sit the lower the ACM, the better the cardiovascular health.

Pretty sure it also translate in mitochondrial health in general, but that's just me speculating.

Anyway, my test for this kind of shit is : what were our ancestors doing ? And the answer is : not sitting on their ass all day long.

EDIT : found it

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user