Lineage 2 Official Classic Server opens Oct 3 2018

Ripster

Molten Core Raider
Couple friends and I are going to give this a go today. We never played back in the day so figured it would be worth a look anyway.

Anyone have experience with old school L2? particularly what a good trio would be.

Official site is under maintenance and the launch has been delayed by a few hours already so I imagine there's at least some interest here.

MMORPG . com has patch notes and an hour long dev video : Lineage 2 Classic Opens Today - Here's a Peek at the Patch Notes - MMORPG.com

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I played a couple days on a trial. All i remember was it was grindy as fuck, didn't like click movement, and their pvp system was retarded at the time. If you killed someone that didn't fight back you basically became kos to towns and other players. That by itself is not bad but it dramatically increases your chance to drop your gear if someone kills you. You turn into a pvp loot pinata.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes I played after SWG and before WoW, it is a grindfest but the PvP is fun. The political aspect and sieges also added a new dimension. I used to like wearing noob armour and going to the lower level dungeons, then attacking someone else which would "flag" me to other players, who could then attack me without any negative consequences. Once they attacked me, I could attack them and being much higher level I would one shot them lol

IIRC the Human Rogue was the best class.

RE Politics, one guild on my server took over the first real "Dungeon" (can't remember what it was called) this place had double XP mobs, they had people that manned the entrance for people zoning in then PKed them, they'd then go deep into the dungeon to work off the negative karma.

This meant the rest of the server banded up to take back that zone, it became known as the "Carebear Alliance" and we went on to take all the Castles

Ripster

Molten Core Raider
Certainly has it's flaws, but it's giving me the oldschool MMO feels. If they can manage to curtail rampant botting this time around (big if) I'll sink some serious hours into this.

• 1Like

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just a heads up this another "VIP, Exclusive Alpha, Founders etc type of game"

1538676968354.png

Ripster

Molten Core Raider
As I understand it, you have to spend Ncoins to get VIP levels, with level 4 being 4K coins ($50) and it lasts for 30 days. So a $50 a month sub fee for %25 xp bonus and %50 loot. I'm sure plenty of people will do this but I'm fine without it. Also drop rates on any decent random loot is like 0.01% so an extra 50 is like big whup.

Not arguing that this isn't pay2win but it could be a lot worse for an Asian import free to play.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
As I understand it, you have to spend Ncoins to get VIP levels, with level 4 being 4K coins ($50) and it lasts for 30 days. So a $50 a month sub fee for %25 xp bonus and %50 loot. I'm sure plenty of people will do this but I'm fine without it. Also drop rates on any decent random loot is like 0.01% so an extra 50 is like big whup.

Not arguing that this isn't pay2win but it could be a lot worse for an Asian import free to play.

Anyone who pays $50 a month for a 15 year old asian grinder (like, the ORIGINAL asian grinder) is beyond insane. I played L2 back at launch, played it hardcore for 4 months or so, and got to the low 40's and it was boring as fuck. At some point their beta server had a huge xp boost and I got on there, got max level, got a baby dragon mount, played for a couple days and was done. Anyone interested in this ancient game would be better off just playing on a private server with a reasonable xp boost. Which varies, I think, from 15x to 1000x. That's how grindy it is, that 15x is the minimum boost.

Molten Core Raider
I remember playing it when it launched and it was my first experience with a super grindy asian game. I still remember to this day sitting down and murdering these undead trees at a graveyard at level 31 or so, it was the supposed ideal spot to gain exp at my level. I killed nonstop as efficiently as possible for an hour with my archer, saw how much exp I gained and mathed out that it would take me another solid 18 hours of grinding to get to the next level. Considering that I was barely halfway to the level cap, I said nope and uninstalled.

Not to mention, wasn't it this game where your gear could explode after a certain point if you failed an enchant?

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I remember playing it when it launched and it was my first experience with a super grindy asian game. I still remember to this day sitting down and murdering these undead trees at a graveyard at level 31 or so, it was the supposed ideal spot to gain exp at my level. I killed nonstop as efficiently as possible for an hour with my archer, saw how much exp I gained and mathed out that it would take me another solid 18 hours of grinding to get to the next level. Considering that I was barely halfway to the level cap, I said nope and uninstalled.

Not to mention, wasn't it this game where your gear could explode after a certain point if you failed an enchant?

Yup. I think you could get to like +7ish safely, max was +15? But, pretty much all asian (korean?) games had the same setup for a long time. It's only fairly recently that's changed cuz $$$$$.

One of the worst things were these consumables that increased your damage by like 50% that were pretty expensive. Xp gain without using them was obviously sub-optimal. But, in addition to being expensive they also had to be activated before every attack. Eventually, like years later they made it so you could toggle them on/off.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

I remember feeling this exact same way. Started it with some EQ1 guildies. Come on man kill just 200 more bats, we need to level. I noped out of that game really quick.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I played for a month or so when it was live but the only thing noteworthy I remember were those shards you could carry around and if you clicked them they would make your next hit a crit or double, something like that. On release there was no limit and you could carry as many as you wanted and spam them for every hit. It allowed you to kill stuff that you normally wouldn't because your damage output would be insane. Needless to say they eventually got nerfed so you could only use them every so often or only carry so many.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple friends and I are going to give this a go today. We never played back in the day so figured it would be worth a look anyway.

Anyone have experience with old school L2? particularly what a good trio would be.

Official site is under maintenance and the launch has been delayed by a few hours already so I imagine there's at least some interest here.

MMORPG . com has patch notes and an hour long dev video : Lineage 2 Classic Opens Today - Here's a Peek at the Patch Notes - MMORPG.com
Do you like tits? If yes, play DE's, best boob physics in any game. Casters are the way to go though; 1 buffer, 2 nukers. Honestly, you probably won't get past lvl40 due to the grind (it starts at 25-ish).

If you plan on playing really long term, probably go for Humans; buffer, nuker and the polearm class for aoe pulls.

If you plan on playing for a really, really long term, make at least 1 dwarf.

Edit: If L2 had the movement and targeting of WoW, I'd be playing it, but click to move / target gets old really fast.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
the way to grind was in groups with the right composition, Swordsingers and the DE equivalent for buffs made a huge difference. And with your group and friendly groups completely takeover a double xp zone and PK anyone else trying to level there

Ripster

Molten Core Raider
Do you like tits? If yes, play DE's, best boob physics in any game. Casters are the way to go though; 1 buffer, 2 nukers. Honestly, you probably won't get past lvl40 due to the grind (it starts at 25-ish).

If you plan on playing really long term, probably go for Humans; buffer, nuker and the polearm class for aoe pulls.

If you plan on playing for a really, really long term, make at least 1 dwarf.

Edit: If L2 had the movement and targeting of WoW, I'd be playing it, but click to move / target gets old really fast.

Thanks for the input. We have Buffer + Ranger and I'm a Dark elf caster unsure if I should go nukes or heals. Buffer is an orc SS, we don't know if that will be enough heals for PvE and at least being able to defend ourselves a bit from gankers in pvp.

As for movement and targeting, I have it set up exactly like wow, WASD to run and tab to target. It's much more clunky than WoW, but once I figure out macros and hotkeys and such (targeting myself shouldn't have to be a macro!) I expect it to be mostly painless. Click to move is optional and you can turn it off.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the input. We have Buffer + Ranger and I'm a Dark elf caster unsure if I should go nukes or heals. Buffer is an orc SS, we don't know if that will be enough heals for PvE and at least being able to defend ourselves a bit from gankers in pvp.

As for movement and targeting, I have it set up exactly like wow, WASD to run and tab to target. It's much more clunky than WoW, but once I figure out macros and hotkeys and such (targeting myself shouldn't have to be a macro!) I expect it to be mostly painless. Click to move is optional and you can turn it off.
Yea, but the wasd/tab target is really bad, plus you cannot tab target during PvP. You also need to hold down ctrl when using a skill in PvP (until you work out the macro's to do it for you). I would go Nuker, and probably switch the orc SS to a human bishop (my memory isn't the best, but i remember human bishops being OP). I hope you understand how much a grind you're getting into, even with the +25% from VIP4 and that you also lose XP when PK'd (seems to be a bug atm where you lose 10% per death, the 4% loss in the old days was only at lvl40+).

Found out that you can buy Soulshots for NCoin, though only NG and D grade, but people will be in D-grade for a loooooong time. So making a dwarf at the moment seems a bit pointless.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It is only like $13 to maintain the lvl4 VIP, not $50. =)

After playing the past couple days, it is really misleading to call this version "Classic". It is nothing like the original L2. You level faster, but get less Adena / Drops (even with VIP4). They sell Soulshots in their Store, which immediately ruins the economy that the Dwarves are supposed to maintain. I would recommend not playing til they balance out xp / adena, right now you just level too fast and gain too little to be ready for the areas you will be going into... which will make it absolutely necessary to use SS... but there is no stable supply of Dwarf crafted SS and the store bought No Grade SS is faaaar to expensive. So you're pushed very hard into spending real money to buy SS from the Store. This is the only version of "Classic" which is so heavily bent towards Store use.