Liquors & Cocktails

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If it tastes like water whats the point? I'm not in high school anymore drinking just to get drunk. I like to enjoy the taste of my liquor.

Tangurena_sl

shitlord
Is Basil Hayden's any good?
I like it and drink it. I prefer it to the other Jim Beam "small batches" because I prefer to drink mine neat, and anything over 80 proof burns my weakling throat.

Pappy Van Winkles is nice, but the distributor in Denver is only allocating it to the high end bars/night clubs. So I only got 1 of each bottle about 2 years ago. None of the stores I frequent got any Pappy's last year.

If you can get Thomas Handy Sazerac, I recommend getting a bottle. It is a sweet rye with a spicy after-flavor. It comes through the same distributor as Pappy Van Winkle, so if one comes in, maybe the other ones are there. I usually get 1-2 bottles per year between all the stores I shop at. I'd buy 6 cases/year if I could get it.

As for scotches, I used to drink Glenmorangie, but they changed their recipe about a year ago and I'm not fond of it now. I don't drink peaty whiskys because I am not fond of peat. Our family lived in Ireland when I was in high school, and the fireplace burned peat, so to me, peat smells and tastes like fireplace/ashtray.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
If it tastes like water whats the point? I'm not in high school anymore drinking just to get drunk. I like to enjoy the taste of my liquor.
Basically, being totally flavorless means it is by far the best vodka to mix as you will only taste the flavors the drink is truly intended to taste like. An example, a fruity-drink with this vodka will taste just like the mix of fruit juices, but with the alcohol/feel-good to follow. I drink it on-the-rocks because after a long day of work, I want something that is like drinking a glass of water but gives me a buzz that relaxes me without the burn or bad taste.

it's a quality liquor, but it's really heavily flavored. I think he means it's not regarded as a clean whiskey.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I should have prefaced that I don't buy anything bout 1.75L of whiskey. I drink it way too fast to buy the small shit.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
what does moonshine taste like if i went and got me some from the packie?

I dont drink, fucks with my stomach but some of that shit looks so good with the fruit in it yummmmm..

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not quite the same, but Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace both sell white dog, which is bourbon pre-aging. Maker's Mark is only sold at their distillery, as far as I know (they also let you taste it at the end of the tour). I wanna say we paid around $35 for it. It'd probably give you a good idea what moon shine is like, without drinking shit.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
what does moonshine taste like if i went and got me some from the packie?

I dont drink, fucks with my stomach but some of that shit looks so good with the fruit in it yummmmm..
The stuff with the fruit in it is diluted most of the time. It does taste very good though.

If it wasn't diluted the stuff would probably still taste like shit even with the flavoring.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
real moonshine tastes like rubbing alcohol, has no flavor just burn.
Thats what i was under the assumption of ok, may have to give it a try the only thing i drink atm when i do randomly drink like once a month, is 100proof captain, taste aint bad and gets you right quick.

Thats what i was under the assumption of ok, may have to give it a try the only thing i drink atm when i do randomly drink like once a month, is100proof captain, taste aint bad and gets you right quick.
imo Sailor Jerry has a better buzz & flavor, it's proofed higher (92) than regular Capn (70).

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
imo Sailor Jerry has a better buzz & flavor, it's proofed a hair higher than regular Capn.
is this a pretty well known brand, like can i walk into my liquor depot, say sailor jerry and be on my way?

its a giant cvs of liquor so im assuming 90% they should have it.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
If they don't have Sailor Jerry. Go with Lady Bligh. It is cheaper, tastes better, and is a little bit higher proofed than Captain.