live aid, 85, Queen: impressions?

I was an undergrad and remember watching it. The new Freddie biopic is of course coming out, and I hear it ends with a "faithful" depiction of that performance. (Have not seen film yet, do not spoilt, oh wait, there is nothing to spoil. It is not a "complicated" movie.......)

Even from memory or just as a music lover, I'm guessing lots of us are familiar. My view is, it is an epic of both performance and also cinematography (those shots of the crowd clapping along during radio gaga? whoever held that camera deserves a prize).

Always liked Queen. I was in 7th grade when Bohemian Rhapsody came out. And yes, it was mindblowing at the time.

So, wondering, that performance, actually a genuine classic? It is worth a watch btw!

Sevens

Log Wizard
I was an undergrad and remember watching it. The new Freddie biopic is of course coming out, and I hear it ends with a "faithful" depiction of that performance. (Have not seen film yet, do not spoilt, oh wait, there is nothing to spoil. It is not a "complicated" movie.......)

Even from memory or just as a music lover, I'm guessing lots of us are familiar. My view is, it is an epic of both performance and also cinematography (those shots of the crowd clapping along during radio gaga? whoever held that camera deserves a prize).

Always liked Queen. I was in 7th grade when Bohemian Rhapsody came out. And yes, it was mindblowing at the time.

So, wondering, that performance, actually a genuine classic? It is worth a watch btw!
it is considered by many, rightfully so , as THE greatest live music performance ever

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Honestly I don't think much of the setlist. It's a good performance, but I've seen like 35981264598 concerts in my life and some have been pretty fucking mind-blowing. Muse is probably the first that comes to mind. HAARP is a live video out there. Just the intro with them coming up from beneath the crowd and the epic strings playing. Then they jump right into Knights of Cydonia.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The thing I always think about with those performances in front of a giant crowd is what it must feel like to be the performer and look out at tens of thousands of people all transfixed by what you're doing and singing along with every word of a song you wrote. I watched a video of Adele doing "Someone Like You" at the Glastonbury festival and the crowd was just this gigantic mass of people all singing every lyric and the people in front are crying and screaming and drooling like mental patients. Whatever you think of Adele, that must be an amazing feeling.