Lone Survivor

Movie was ehhhhh. They spent way too much time on firefights and not enough explaining the deal with the tribe and the rescue, in my opinion. Although the apaches rolling into the village was a definite 'MURICA moment.

kudos

<Banned>
Why... didn't they just call for evac before letting them go and then let them go after choppers showed up?

I understand it's based on real life. I guess they just made stupid decisions in real life.

Lemeran

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why... didn't they just call for evac before letting them go and then let them go after choppers showed up?

I understand it's based on real life. I guess they just made stupid decisions in real life.
No cell service dude.

jarrettmp_sl

shitlord
No cell service dude.
Yeah they knew they needed too much time to do that.

But, I don't know why they didn't leave the two younger ones tied up and only let the old dude go free. Would have given them several more hours, since his old bones would have taken him a long time to get to the bottom.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
This movie seemed like one big PR movie with a heavy dose of bullshit. Usually these types of things need to be cleared by the DoD and I see two reasons for doing so. The first being to show American troops as compassionate human beings and the second to show that not all afghans are bad and they were worth helping out in the end. While if this story is true on the inside I imagine this is being taught in schools as a lesson in how NOT to royally fuck up a mission.

I just find it hard to believe that these Navy Seals who are taught that completing the mission is paramount allowed those 3 guys to just walk off to begin with. It just doesn't jive at all. Then they follow this up with them deciding to fling themselves off cliff sides where they had a great chance of dying, or worse yet be so injured as to be captured alive. This movie did nothing but make me say damm is this our elite fighting force at work because they sure come across as total idiots in this movie. I'm sorry if this offends anyone it is not my intent but as a former Marine myself this just struck me as very strange every which way you cut it. My opinion is based solely on the movie...

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Yeah they knew they needed too much time to do that.

But, I don't know why they didn't leave the two younger ones tied up and only let the old dude go free. Would have given them several more hours, since his old bones would have taken him a long time to get to the bottom.
Afghans can walk. Keep them prisoner and walk to top of mountain. Find cell service. Choppers arrive. Let prisoners free.

That was the biggest wtf of the movie. The dilemma in the movie wasnt "let them free or kill them." The clear, beyond-obvious third option is take them with you until your extraction comes

Lemeran

Lord Nagafen Raider
The reason they planned on walking out is so the a helicopter wouldn't be shot down picking them up. They didn't want to kill them and go to prison. They didn't take them with, because there would be 100 goats sitting there and the villagers would of noticed. As far as the jumping off cliffs, it was to try and get in a better position to fight and stop getting shot up.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
They didn't want to kill them and go to prison.
After reading the book this seems to be the main reason they let the goat herders go. They all thought the right "military decision" would have been to just kill them and try to carry on with the mission but they figured they would be brought up on murder charges or something. It's been awhile since I read it but Luttrell talks multiple times about how they were always worried about how the media portrayed the war. He mentions the Abu Ghraib scandal etc, etc.

Cybsled

Guys on recon can't take prisoners with them, esp ones who are hostile to them. Tying up the 2 younger ones and letting the old guy go would have issues to... He could always just come back and untie them.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I really can't believe Dan Bilzerian is in this movie haha, his dad must have paid his way into it. He's a failed military guy with a dad that launders millions and all he does is fly around in private jets and bangs hookers, all while pretending to be a pro poker player.

The movie was just all right, nothing special.

Cplindsey91_sl

shitlord
I really can't believe Dan Bilzerian is in this movie haha, his dad must have paid his way into it. He's a failed military guy with a dad that launders millions and all he does is fly around in private jets and bangs hookers, all while pretending to be a pro poker player.

The movie was just all right, nothing special.
Sounds like a good gig lol.

Movie was alright they left a bunch of stuff from the book that were pretty good.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
The reason they planned on walking out is so the a helicopter wouldn't be shot down picking them up. They didn't want to kill them and go to prison. They didn't take them with, because there would be 100 goats sitting there and the villagers would of noticed. As far as the jumping off cliffs, it was to try and get in a better position to fight and stop getting shot up.
Leaving 100 goats for villagers to maybe notice in a much longer span of time is worse than letting the people free for them to immediately run to the village?

It doesn't make any sense. There is still no explanation why they didn't take the people with them until they got cell reception. Either the movie portrayed this inaccurately or the soldiers royally fucked up

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Leaving 100 goats for villagers to maybe notice in a much longer span of time is worse than letting the people free for them to immediately run to the village?

It doesn't make any sense. There is still no explanation why they didn't take the people with them until they got cell reception. Either the movie portrayed this inaccurately or the soldiers royally fucked up
I don't think they can take hostages like that.

Cybsled

There are other issues to: You can't move silently. On rough terrain, they could get one of the seals hurt. Your attention has to be split amongst the prisoners and other possible threats. What happens if a prisoner gets injured or needs resources?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I worked on this movie and in fact, in some of the longer shots you can see parts of property I own!

Speaking to the ending and editing, Marcus was actually flown out to set quite a few times and spent many, many hours pouring over scenes with Peter and even over the shoulders in the editing bays. He was a consultant on about 99% of the decisions you see on screen.

As to letting the goat herders go...yeah, that is a bit touchy. I spent a bit of time talking with Marcus and let's be clear on one thing. The ONLY reason they didn't execute those goat herders was because of the "liberal media". Marcus was very adamant about that. There was never a debate about scenarios. It was "kill them and maybe go to jail because...liberals" or "let them go and we all get in a huge fight and maybe die". He made plenty of statements publicly that the general populace has no business knowing the business of Navy Seals. It's even in the book, but sort of danced around. He made other statements about his Christian soul that contradict the liberal media statements but he always seemed to not really understand the conflicting nature of those points of view.

Don't get me wrong, I sort of agree with him and can see his point of view.I respect the hell out of the guy, but he has NO issues making it very clear he blames "liberals" for the deaths of his team and politicizing his story.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
If you take prisoners with you, you are 100% responsible for their well being. If they get shot during a firefight you might aswell pull the trigger yourself....not saying they shouldn't have just saying it's possible there are consequences.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I worked on this movie and in fact, in some of the longer shots you can see parts of property I own!

Speaking to the ending and editing, Marcus was actually flown out to set quite a few times and spent many, many hours pouring over scenes with Peter and even over the shoulders in the editing bays. He was a consultant on about 99% of the decisions you see on screen.

As to letting the goat herders go...yeah, that is a bit touchy. I spent a bit of time talking with Marcus and let's be clear on one thing. The ONLY reason they didn't execute those goat herders was because of the "liberal media". Marcus was very adamant about that. There was never a debate about scenarios. It was "kill them and maybe go to jail because...liberals" or "let them go and we all get in a huge fight and maybe die". He made plenty of statements publicly that the general populace has no business knowing the business of Navy Seals. It's even in the book, but sort of danced around. He made other statements about his Christian soul that contradict the liberal media statements but he always seemed to not really understand the conflicting nature of those points of view.

Don't get me wrong, I sort of agree with him and can see his point of view.I respect the hell out of the guy, but he has NO issues making it very clear he blames "liberals" for the deaths of his team and politicizing his story.
Cool very interesting.

Column_sl

shitlord

His sworn testimony heavily contradicts the book...

Horribly overrated. Why didnt they just tie the 3 taliban to one another so they were forced to crawl home. Or tie them to a tree and then use the talibans' radio to inform the others in the village. Special needs, not special forces.