Looking for opinions/thoughts on geek fandom/gamer conventions

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wasn't sure If this should go in business or general.

Currently the event management company I work for does 1 industry shows along with a public bridal expo. My father founded the company 20 years ago after leaving a large agency to start his own company. With only 2 full time employees (him and I) we only run two shows per year. We do them very, very well. I joined the company about 6 years ago.

Right now "traditional" public shows are suffering, with at best stagnating attendance and exhibitors. Both exhibitors and attendees are simply doing more business online and the the whole "everything in one place" appeal of public shows is not as enticing as it was 20-30 years ago. Internet culture however is booming. People involved in internet/geek communities really want that "IRL" experience. The major event companies are slowly realizing this.

5 years ago we had been running a Wine industry show for a major industry publication for a very nice rate. This company hired someone to cut expenses and we came on the choping block. We started our own show that has essentially run their show out of business, and has become the biggest industry show outside California. Growing 70% each year so far.

As a result our small operation is flush with cash. Because of this we are considering expanding the business and trying out a new show. Were looking at doing some sort of geek/gaming/internet con thing. My experience with these cons is pretty limited beyond what I see from various media outlets and the Brony documentary. So I figured this would be a community to ask question and get thoughts/feedback from. As posters likely have experience going to the type of events we are looking at running.

My first thought was to do a sort of general traditional hobby store type stuff convention. With a MTG tournament ( perhaps type1 as that was super popular in NE when I played in 01-03) A Warhammer thing, maybe other TCG tourneys, get some pen and paper rpgs, anime/comic stuff, and cosplay contests ect... However while this would have been great 10 years I wonder if it is still a great idea now.

Gonna list a few questions. Howeverany comments/feelings/feedback on cons would be appreciated. Anything from people in the North East would be awesome I really need to learn about the con scene in New England in particular.

1. Why do you go to cons? What ones do you attend?

2. Do you prefer bigger cons or smaller ones? Our first event won't be huge, likely aiming for at most 150 exhibitors and 2k-3k attendees. perhaps only a fraction of that.

3. What do you dislike about cons? what could management usually stand to improve?

4. Are there any fandoms that could explode like Bronys did a few years back?

5. For stuff like Star Trek cons or similar things. How important is it to have cast/production/fandom stars?

6, How far will you travel to go to a con? We will have to decide to go with Boston/Ny/ or Philly or a smaller North East city like Providence or Syracuse.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Providence has a fairly nice convention center, so when cons actually come here they're not so bad. There was a ~3000 person MTG team sealed GP here last year and it ran pretty smoothly.

A specific note about Providence: A lot of people at the Providence convention center events don't realize that the Providence Place Mall food court is a 5 minute walk across a skybridge from the venue, which has a lot better food options than the venue itself.

iannis

Musty Nester
I know shit about fuck.

It seems like for #4 there will ALWAYS be a fandom that's ready to explode -- but that's a real speculative thing. What's the next fad? It seems like reddit would actually be pretty decent for that sort of research and speculation. #5 seems like it would be fairly important. The name will draw in the people who are on the fence about going. You won't get the folks who don't give a shit, and you already have the folks that are gonna come if there's a star or not (it's a paaarty!). It's the group between those two groups that the name is aimed at. Probably doesn't have to be a top tier involvement (I would think), just an excuse to not feel like a nerd when you're going to a sort of silly convention.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Providence has a fairly nice convention center, so when cons actually come here they're not so bad. There was a ~3000 person MTG team sealed GP here last year and it ran pretty smoothly.

A specific note about Providence: A lot of people at the Providence convention center events don't realize that the Providence Place Mall food court is a 5 minute walk across a skybridge from the venue, which has a lot better food options than the venue itself.
Providence Convention center is very nice, we run our bridal show there yearly. Thing is costs are on the high end for a small city convention center. Syracuse virtually begged us to come for our wine show with some very favorable rates ( like paying less for a 350 booth show then a 150 in prov). many other cities really want business also.

Do you live in RI also?

Wow back when I played MTG we pretty much always had to travel to MA or Ct for anything beyond a monthly t1 power tourney, some local t1/t2 and FNM in Providence. so it's cool they have a GP here. Just looking around it seems magic tourny scene has exploded. Part of my MTG idea was an excuse to start up playing again lol. Not sure I can do that without spending insane time on it however, too competitive.

Curious, how many exhibitors/vendors did the MTG tourny have? GP is done by WTC right? I have not been to a Grand Prix or Pro-tour since Boston 2003

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know shit about fuck.

It seems like for #4 there will ALWAYS be a fandom that's ready to explode -- but that's a real speculative thing. What's the next fad? It seems like reddit would actually be pretty decent for that sort of research and speculation. #5 seems like it would be fairly important. The name will draw in the people who are on the fence about going. You won't get the folks who don't give a shit, and you already have the folks that are gonna come if there's a star or not (it's a paaarty!). It's the group between those two groups that the name is aimed at. Probably doesn't have to be a top tier involvement (I would think), just an excuse to not feel like a nerd when you're going to a sort of silly convention.
Yeah I think I am going to keep lurking Reddit in hopes of stumbling upon the next mlp. barring that I am gonna see if perhaps any fandom (IE: mlp, Star trek) Is lacking a show in the area. I am confident we can outdo the others in any genre, since they are usually hiring a big company who don't know/care much about the fandom and run it like a hardware show, or just doing amateur hour.

I was reading something about brony con where it suddenly sold thousands of tickets upon getting Lauren Faust. Seems like the talent is a big draw.

Anyone who has been to some Fandom type convention recall how many exhibitors/vendors were at it? Needs to be a good number to be really worthwhile given your paying the talent

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Providence Convention center is very nice, we run our bridal show there yearly. Thing is costs are on the high end for a small city convention center. Syracuse virtually begged us to come for our wine show with some very favorable rates ( like paying less for a 350 booth show then a 150 in prov). many other cities really want business also.

Do you live in RI also?

Wow back when I played MTG we pretty much always had to travel to MA or Ct for anything beyond a monthly t1 power tourney, some local t1/t2 and FNM in Providence. so it's cool they have a GP here. Just looking around it seems magic tourny scene has exploded. Part of my MTG idea was an excuse to start up playing again lol. Not sure I can do that without spending insane time on it however, too competitive.

Curious, how many exhibitors/vendors did the MTG tourny have? GP is done by WTC right? I have not been to a Grand Prix or Pro-tour since Boston 2003
There's usually a GP at the Prov convention center every 2 years, and it's usually an interesting format. This year it was Team Sealed, in 2011 it was Legacy. There's usually at least 1 PTQ a season as well with around 300 people. Starcity Games usually runs a SCG open event in Providence twice a year, and those are good for 600ish people as well. There was probably 10-12 different vendors at the GP, and there's usually 3-5 at the smaller events.

I do live in Rhode Island but literally as far from Providence as you can get. I live way out in the woods, near the south coast.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for the info on magic events. yeah I feel like if your not a big vendor the money simply is not to be had for MTG events.

I live in Kent County, actually Schilling and Carcieri apparently had the fateful meeting where the deal was formed down the street from my house. So I guess my town is a part of mmo history.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've seen smaller vendors renting tables at PTQs and other small events.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I've been to Comic Cons and PAXs. They're really well received. If you can organize enough local vendors and set up tournament space for table top games, video games and card games you should be sitting good.

Get some celebrities to sign shit and thats essentially all these cons are. Except PAX is essentially a media event to showcase new games coming out which you won't get.