Looking for some opinions on controllers for PC

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I haven't owned or played with many consoles since my N64, and the last controller I had for my PC was a Gravis Pad.

It would mostly be for platformers and the occasional racing game/port. I heard that the Xbox 360 controller is the most comfortable to hold, but that its D pad is crap compared to the PS3 controller.

For playing old platformers likeSuper Metroid, I gravitate towards a D pad as opposed to the thumb stick... but it might just be because of my lack of experience with the thumb stick.

Should I even be looking at these 2 big named controllers, or are there some less well known PC controllers that do the job? I might give some newer games a shot, like arkham city, with the controller because I heard it plays better on one than the kb/mouse, so I don't want to limit my access to new games by buying too basic of a controller with old platformers in mind either.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I bought a 360 controller just for my pc, plug and play, works with virtually everything and has stood the test of time. I admittedly do not use the D-Pad a TON except for some emulated games but no complaints. pretty cheap too, don't see how you could go wrong.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Other than the PS3/Xbox360 controller, you could try the Logitech ChillStream if you can find one(it's similar to the Xbox360 style). I would just stick with either of those however, whichever you prefer.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
If you get the Xbox360 controller, keep in mind to get the wired one. Trying to plug a wireless one in with its charging cable doesn't work without an additional adapter, unfortunately.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Definitely get a X360 controller. Pretty much every game now a days will automap to one and have in-game prompts all properly representing X360 buttons.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just make sure you purchase the PC version of the xbox controller. The regular xbox controllers use a proprietary connecter.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Just make sure you purchase the PC version of the xbox controller. The regular xbox controllers use a proprietary connecter.
Uh, the X360 controllers do not. The wired ones are straight up USB and will plug right into a PC just fine. There are no "proprietary connectors" on them at all.

The wireless X360 controllers require an IR Receiver specifically to use them on the PC, but any wireless X360 controller will work as long as you have the Receiver.

Solariss

Golden Squire
If you didn't buy it already, they actually sell the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller specifically for Windows that includes the USB hub that can connect 4 controllers to it, you do not have to buy that separately. The hub isn't pictured but it is in the product description, as well as the indication that this is a Windows controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...360+controller

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Buying the wireless controller might actually be better now that I think about it. I have a few friends with wireless 360 controllers that could bring them over when we hang out at my place rather than hauling their towers over :p

Solariss

Golden Squire
Buying the wireless controller might actually be better now that I think about it. I have a few friends with wireless 360 controllers that could bring them over when we hang out at my place rather than hauling their towers over :p
I've read they work perfectly and are great for the PC, but there is 1 minor problem. They do not shut off when you hit the center button on the gamepad. There is 3rd party software that somebody developed to solve this issue, so you'd have to download that or just remove the battery pack from the controller after you're done using it.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I use a ps3 controller withMotioninjoysoftware and it works great. Set it up originally for Dark Souls PC, since I wanted to use the same controller I used for the PS3. Have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I like the Logitech F310 way better than the X360 controller, and it has a switch on the back that makes it work old DirectInput games and emulators.

It is also a lot sturdier than the old logitech playstation clone controllers, and they have excellent warranty service. I caught my refurbed one under the wheel of my Aeron-clone chair and ripped the cord out of the socket and they replaced it with a brand new one.