Loop Hero

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

So this released today on Steam for like 13euros(15$ I'd assume?). I kinda found out about it yesterday since one of the twitch streamers I sometimes watch was playing it as some 1day early access deal thing and it looked really nice, so grabbed it.

Game is a bit of a mix of several other indie games, think your usual rogue-lite soup with a decent amount of Slay the Spire inspiration(but it isn't fully a card deck based game either).

You're basically a hero running down a road that loops around. Time passes as you run, and monsters spawn when a day completes and get stronger everytime you complete a full loop. When you defeat monsters, you can gain randomly generated gear, as well as random "cards" from your deck that you can play to put things on the playing field(when you start it's basically just a road looping around and nothing else). Some of these you place outside the road to generate ressources and activate some other cards(like mountains and forests and stuff), while others you put near the road to add stuff to your path, such as spider cave or graveyards to spawn monsters or village that give quests(a random monster gets stronger, killing it completes the quest and you get rewards the next time you loop back to the village) and other stuff like that. Play enough cards and a boss spawns.

You can go back to some sort of permanent progression base where you use the ressources you got during your run to build up permanent upgrades(class unlocks, more gear slots, starting with gear, potions and so on, the usual). You also get to build your deck somewhat, since you decide what cards can spawn during your run. Combat and movement are all automatic, you just switch gear around and drop down tiles and select upgrades and what not, but the rest of the game plays on its own which is somewhat similar to a bunch of mobile games(there is no monetization or anything of the sort though, just the gameplay).

So far played 4 hours and it's a lot of fun. Trying to beeline for Necro unlock and I'll loop back for Rogue unlock after, as far as I know there's only these 2 additional classes plus the starting warrior. Buildings add a bunch of additional mechanics so while it starts pretty simple, there's more to it as you unlock things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
While I recognize that all video games are just different variations of human hamster wheels I don't like when it is too obvious that it is a hamster wheel.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I really dislike the trend of almost EVERY indy game having to have some sort of 8-bit style graphics. Not that I'm 100% opposed to the style, but it gets tiresome when it's literally every fucking one of them.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I really dislike the trend of almost EVERY indy game having to have some sort of 8-bit style graphics. Not that I'm 100% opposed to the style, but it gets tiresome when it's literally every fucking one of them.
It costs a whole lot less than modern high-def 3d.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This one's pretty unique in style imo, but yeah the whole pixel art thing is kinda tiring, it's just cheaper I guess. Ultimately though I don't really play games for art, if they have nice art it's nice but I've played a lot of really ugly as fuck games. I sinked over a thousand hours last fall into a game that looks like ass, probably the ugliest game I've played, not only is it low tech but the sprites and stuff also look like shit. But it was also one of the most fun game I've played, lots of depth, lots of replayability. This one I'd say is at least above average in the art department, music is nice and graphics are interesting enough.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
After suffering through a couple Northern Lion videos at 2x speed it looks like a fairly mindless game. You go around in a loop farming gear and dropping down tiles that have effects and spawn enemies until the boss shows up. Then you spend collected resources on some base building thing. The combat screen barely has a reason to exist as you have no input whatsoever, it just show you some looped animations and damage numbers.

There's some strategy involved in the tile placement but it seemed simplistic and I lost interest in watching any more of it.

Last edited:

Caliane

its sort of a reverse tower defense in regards to the combat. you don't have direct control over the fights.. but you have alot of control over WHAT you fight, and when, and how powerful it is.
its a strategy of building up enemies powerful enough to drop good loot.. but also not too strong, so you die.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Does it now? I've seen quite a few good looking 3d games developed by small studios in unity.

giphy.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t mind the pixel stuff if it’s animated well and looks good. But comparing the two like dead cells vs Bloodstained there’s just no comparison in which looks better. The pixel stuff is just functional for me, I’d prefer it wasn’t but whatever.

Puckes this game up yesterday but haven’t played yet, too hooked on Urtuk at the moment. I’ll try this one soon though, so I’m still in the return window if it sucks.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

It is really fun, hoping they officially add a 4 times speed. Right now I am playing with editing ini file to adjust the speed manually.

Caliane

progress from the demo carries over btw.

and yeah, the graphics turned me off at first. esp the map for hero and monsters..

also, note the text change option in the full release. top left corner. the default text is hard to read. change it to hi rez or dyslexic.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I am a sucker for this style of game. Here's a breakdown some of the systems I've seen.

1. Cards that can be place on the loop are the deck aspect of the game. There are 4 categories, and a max of total cards. This aspect of the game becomes more robust as you build structures between loops that add cards to the pool. So the game becomes about picking the right mix of cards to succeed for the max number of loops - but barely. The cards are set for each loop before it begins.

2. Resources collection and the death penalty : While on the loop your character accumulates item drops and pieces from tile placements and kills etc. These are fractional, where collecting 10 makes the whole piece. If you stop the loop at the village, you can keep 100% of your spoils. If you stop the loop anywhere outside of combat and retreat you keep 60%, and if you die you keep 30%. These penalties are sufficient to make me try to always judge if I can complete the next loop.

3. Item Collection : This unlocks after one of the structures is built. Whole objects, like spyglass, or desk etc...begin to drop in the loop. These give passive bonuses, and can be set in the prep screen for future runs and character power. With the above death penalty retiring at the village feels like the supreme choice, but one more loop is an addicting decision. Retiring on map or dying might always results in the loss of these, but I am uncertain of that.

4. Talents for Experience: One of the structures unlocks a talent system that collects EXP from encounter kills, there is a choice of one of three talents for every level you gain in the loop. These only last during the expedition.

5. Gear choices: I have only seen two of 3? classes. Each has access to 4 item slots (the paper map shows 9 these may unlock later). The Warrior is weapon/shield/body/ring Rogue is Two weapon slots/body/boots. The items have rarity, there is 4 levels of rarity. The top level has 4 modifiers. Gear does not persist through loops. The gear that will drop is later influenced by what monster types are generated from the card choices. There are many modifiers (Attack speed, counter, evasions, vampirism, defense, damage to all, magic damage, chance to crit, cri damage) Each class has a list of modifiers (8 I believe) they will see on the gear.

6. The loop shape is randomized, this creates some tower defense style placement choices to maximize or minimize exposure to different types of cards. I can't say much with certainty here.

There might be more systems I have yet to uncover, and there is crafting to use up future resources to build some of the permanent bonuses randomly.

There are video options to make the text hi res/clean and take away the CRT filter. The fact there isn't directly influenced combat is not so bad in this game, there is plenty of ways choices do.

This might help someone decide to give it a shot, lots of these sub systems weren't readily apparent.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played it a bunch today. It’s fun. Smoked the first boss on 3rd run. Unlocked rogue and raped him hard, let it run for a while just to see what happened. Maxed out several of the resources so just let it run til he died. Ready for 2nd level loop. Only wish it had 3x and 4x speed.

Last edited:

Szlia

I sinked over a thousand hours last fall into a game that looks like ass, probably the ugliest game I've played, not only is it low tech but the sprites and stuff also look like shit. But it was also one of the most fun game I've played, lots of depth, lots of replayability. This one I'd say is at least above average in the art department, music is nice and graphics are interesting enough.
Why would you say this and not say what game it was ? Is that some guilty pleasure you want to keep secret or something ? :D

• 1Like