Lost Ark Online

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
More I play, the more I like this game. The story is meh, but the presentation is really top notch for an ARPG. The graphics and sound are fantastic also. When they unlock all the keybinds, that will only make it better.

Anyone have a site with builds?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
More I play, the more I like this game. The story is meh, but the presentation is really top notch for an ARPG. The graphics and sound are fantastic also. When they unlock all the keybinds, that will only make it better.

Anyone have a site with builds?
Here are some "meta" builds based off Season 2 balance changes (which, I think, we'll have on release).

Lost Ark Season2 Classes builds

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Lost Ark Discord used to be great for builds, not sure now
Still is, that is where I got the link to the build doc I posted. Not really sure how relevant those builds will be for us at release, but it should everyone a general idea on what seems to work well.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
What kind of in game transactions does this game do? How pay to win is it?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
What kind of in game transactions does this game do? How pay to win is it?

From what I can make out, it's more pay to speed up progression than pay to win. Paying speeds things up considerably if you are a whale, for more modest players it's more just quality of life and faster progression for around the price of a mmo sub each month.

• 1Worf

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
What reason is there for whales to whale? Like how are they gonna flex, if the pvp is gear normalized? Is it just a frustrating game to play F2P so they're looking to get regular income from small to medium spenders instead of attracting the whales?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
What reason is there for whales to whale? Like how are they gonna flex, if the pvp is gear normalized? Is it just a frustrating game to play F2P so they're looking to get regular income from small to medium spenders instead of attracting the whales?

Yeah, progress for f2p players is really slow, and limited. You can only do the things that earn you gold and upgrade mats a limited amount per day/week. And whaling is really retarded, since the only reward for reaching current max gear score is...waiting for the next content update. Which is when you get to take your +15 gear and use it to upgrade the new gear set to +6 and start over. There's some side shit to do, only thing really required is the second awakening quest and all the different shit to get to max skill points. Which are all long, boring and tedious. But, yeah, there's still people willing to shell out the cash. Plus buying costumes and this cash shop thing that lets you make random costumes? I don't know much about it, I just bought costumes for gold for the stat boost.

Also, the way some things/items/currencies are character bound and some are account bound is all over the place. There's also these things, I forgot what they are called, that you need to buy certain things off the AH. You get a few here and there as login rewards, but the main way to get them is from the cash shop.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heh, looks like Amazon made Smilegate change the "race" of certain NPC's (from white to black), but they haven't changed them in the Story cutscenes where they appear in their original forms, lol.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Gating progress behind a cash wall is honestly pretty genius in a world where everyone expects instant gratification.

BDO does this with a lot of things. Recently, they added an item that allows you to summon your horse from anywhere, instead of just a range. Well, you can do 30 days worth of dailies and get it free, or you could pay $15 to get it instantly ($7 if you had the prior version of the horse whistle).

So, while everything is technically able to be acquired for "free", cash speeds it up and with today's generations, that's a gold mine. I don't even fault devs for this anymore, I fault gamers who talk out of both sides of their mouths. They want meaningful, slow progress, but don't want to ever have to "wait" at the same time.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I REALLY like this game.

Got to 28 with the Gun Lancer, and had a blast. Tried the Zerker and the gun chick also. MUCH rather the Gun Lancer. Slow, steady and tanky.

Wish there were more dungeons as we leveled up.

Selfie_20210616_Brahmadogalpha_000.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I REALLY like this game.

Got to 28 with the Gun Lancer, and had a blast. Tried the Zerker and the gun chick also. MUCH rather the Gun Lancer. Slow, stead and tanky.

Wish there were more dungeons as we leveled up.

There's actually quite a few on the way to 50, plus more every time they add a new continent, for 50-60. You hit 50 in Athertine )or whatever Amazon is calling it, the magitech continent in the northeast. And there's like 6? continents after that so far? Not sure how many NA is starting with, didn't check the map during the brief time I logged in.

You used to be able to grind dungeons to level, but they didn't like people avoiding spamming G for hours, so they tied the xp to the one time quest, instead of the dungeons themselves.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
So game is still up?

Yes right now.

As for me, maybe my standards have fallen (I absolutely despise F2P MMOs usually; give me a sub and a purely cosmetic shop any day of the week) but I absolutely enjoy Lost Ark for what it is. I've level'd to 50 on KR on 4 classes and 3 on RU and I'm traditionally anti-alt. It doesn't take very long (12 hours) and I find that they do leveling 'right' -- you unlock a ton of cool shit that makes your character feel progressively more powerful and the tripod system gives some nice variety. When you hit max level, you legitimately have a fuckton to do (albeit, yes, you're stuck making alts or whaling if you want to maximize your gear). The sense that I get from a lot of people right now is that, in spite of the hatred for the payment model and launching late, this is going to be a pretty big success.

Also, I really love some of the set pieces (the siege of Luterra is genuinely awesome). Not sure how anyone won't at least enjoy leveling one class to 50 to make a decision on the game.

• 1Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, Alpha stays up til 11:59PM tonight.

Game is just really polished. Not sure how people were playing in Alpha at any given time, but I never had any server hiccups. Performance was great even on my outdated system. I can see people getting fatigued with all the cutscenes during the leveling up to 50 then 60, as I kinda hit that point around lvl35. I have zero regrets on getting a Founders pack for this. I'm sure this game will end up being more successful than New World in the long term if Amazon wants to support it.

I can also seeing a lot of people being turned away from the grind of this game and the advantage that some people will perceive the cash shop giving whales. I hate that content will be limited, even if I can buy tickets to do more of it. The Chaos dungeons look like a lot of mindless fun, so only being able to run those twice per day really sucks, imo.