Lost Ark Online

Caliane

Going to hard disagree that you have to FOMO in any game.

Having fun > *. When you lose sight of that and start treating video games as a second job that has more to do with your personality. Don't blame games for your deficiencies and lack of self control. If you can't balance that then quitting IS the right choice, but stop saying "the game makes me".

This is coming from someone who spent chunks of 150 hours a week grinding WoW PVP rank, thousands of hours camping shit in EQ and spattering of thousands of hours in practically every MMO that has existed raiding regularly and doing the mokoko seed equivalent. Shit was 100% on me even if some of the game systems sucked a dick, but I still had fun at the time and when I stopped having fun I quit immediately while I watch the same people who bitch never stop logging in because they can't control themselves.

As soon as this shit stops being fun. Later. Got dozens of games on the backlog waiting.
mokokos is a good point, and shows the issue or even back to the EQ farming. do you see me complaining about mokoko collecting? or the chaos dungeon skins? hell no. thats great.

lets say I have 1 hour to play/day, and 7hours to play on friday. I can farm the shit out of mokoko or eq on friday. 1200 mokokos to collect. and I can collect 400 on friday if I want.
But now, imagine mokokos are limited to 7/day. I'm straight up fucked, on mokoko collection, unless I log on every day, and collect my 7/day.
it turns the game into a job. its the exact opposite of no life farming. you CAN'T farm. The daily limits were intended to stop farming, but created a much bigger problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I decided to cold turkey quit.

The game was becoming just too time consuming. It is largely the daily format.
like you say, "fomo" you don't have to do that daily shit. But, you kindof do. like, for example, una's tasks. I had actually off and on decided on this. on Saturday, I realized the game was eating up too much of my free time. so was going to stop. but, then I thought, "I spent the last week doing this una task for the Eurus boat, I have 2 more days. Ill finish that off, then quit.".
after 2 days, I then realized I had another tier, and 12 more days... nah, I'm done then. during those two extra days, I was teetering back and forth. I had considered progressing the main story and call it then.

some stuff does have the "rest" mechanic. but thats still what, ever 3 days, or you are losing out?
Stronghold timers, daily login rewards, etc.

so the FOMO Again... , everyone wants to play optimally when gaming. its practically the entire point. its like a tactical minigame. its why everyone plays tactics, and sim games, etc. cookieclicker is entirely an exercise in maximizing efficiency.
and these mmos are basically designed to play them like jobs. Even when in theory, the dailies/weeklies are supposed to do the opposite... to stop players from farming nonstop.
What actually happens, because a player can't just go farm something, when they do have the time, they feel they need to log in daily, and get their bonus.
I haven't quit, but man the t3 grind is a really massive misstep by either AGS or Smilegate.

I basically don't even want to play my main anymore because I just fail and fail some more. Log in to do an hour of dailies for mats and flush them all down the toilet in 20 seconds.

This seems like one of those classic "wring out short term gains but lose out on long term ones" after they milk the whales but drive the regular players away.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
mokokos is a good point, and shows the issue or even back to the EQ farming. do you see me complaining about mokoko collecting? or the chaos dungeon skins? hell no. thats great.

lets say I have 1 hour to play/day, and 7hours to play on friday. I can farm the shit out of mokoko or eq on friday. 1200 mokokos to collect. and I can collect 400 on friday if I want.
But now, imagine mokokos are limited to 7/day. I'm straight up fucked, on mokoko collection, unless I log on every day, and collect my 7/day.
it turns the game into a job. its the exact opposite of no life farming. you CAN'T farm. The daily limits were intended to stop farming, but created a much bigger problem.

No one is forcing you to do these things and how can you be fucked in a video game? If you miss out it does not matter. This is a video game. Not life or death. Not important or meaningful in any way, shape or form. It could be shut down and all your hours spent deemed worthless at any time.

It's a hobby and again when it stops being fun to you the right choice is to quit and move on.

And if you wanted to farm more? Make more alts. I run 12x chaos a day and 12x raids every 3 days and that is already borderline, but if I wanted I could make 6 more L50s and run it 12x more or if I was a super sperg I could add another account and blah blah blah.

Caliane

I haven't quit, but man the t3 grind is a really massive misstep by either AGS or Smilegate.

I basically don't even want to play my main anymore because I just fail and fail some more. Log in to do an hour of dailies for mats and flush them all down the toilet in 20 seconds.

This seems like one of those classic "wring out short term gains but lose out on long term ones" after they milk the whales but drive the regular players away.
I personally hadn't even really hit that part.
much of the honing mats are locked into dailies... but not entirely, right?

honing mats CAN be farmed in endless chaos. or, by farming other things, and selling them on the AH, and buying the honing mats with that gold, correct?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Only endless is T3 and the cost increases to the point it's not efficient at all.

T1/T2 you can farm a set amount each week.

Everything can be bought otherwise yes.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

I feel like the current wall will cause the game to peter out and many will quit at that point. I am at 1350 and pretty much do my little bit I can on my main then work on alts and stuff instead of trying to grind through. No matter what I do I will never catch up to the whales and the veterans who knew what to do prior to the game release so I am using this time to work on Una's and shit.

Still if 1-1370ish is considered the tutorial and we haven't even been introduced to end game or content that we can even do together as a guild, then once gain I imagine fuck loads are just going to say fuck it this game is aids.

The Una's locking out certain questlines, or needed for skill points and things is one of the bigger issues. If you didn't know or don't know which ones to do and why with 5-6 alts you might as well go fuck yourself because you will be years behind trying to do that shit on one guy.

To make things worse it's turbo fucking aids when the goddamn timer doesn't work,

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

That was over 20 years ago though. And it was essentially the only option.

Yup. Limited options plus most of us were young and had less responsibilities, so it was much easier to poopsock in school or whatever back then.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You guys are overestimating where the majority of players are and it's not T3. Like >98% is in T1/T2 and will be for months and months. If you actually care about end game and aren't caught in the gear score trap you should be working on your horizontal progression now because if you aren't going to do it now then when and that shit does matter if you pay any attention to the raiding scene in Korea.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I was one of our first to hit 50 in guild and am still ilvl 600 (thanks to Elden Ring sucking down 120+ hours of my free time the past few weeks) but plan on coming back soon to play casually. Looking forward to returning but in no rush to hit t3 or cap or whatever. This is a great game to just play casually as it's like a good turkey sandwich - it's not a 3* michelin restaurant meal, but it's solid and always there.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The positives about the game is that the combat is clean and responsive. The raiding content is pretty fun but right now there is so little of it and you only get to do it once a week unless you have other characters up to 6.

I have still yet to see a gold map, gold book, or anything of value though so while others are sitting on 1mil gold and 1490 ilvl and shit, I got about 25k.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The positives about the game is that the combat is clean and responsive. The raiding content is pretty fun but right now there is so little of it and you only get to do it once a week unless you have other characters up to 6.

I have still yet to see a gold map, gold book, or anything of value though so while others are sitting on 1mil gold and 1490 ilvl and shit, I got about 25k.
I make most of my money of small transactions rather than big stuff. I did hit purple grudge for 2.5k and some stacked ability stone for 3k, but generally I just sell T3 accs for 100-250g, a couple everyday, and then mats, lots of mats. I got 1 legendary book so far and it was like magick stream or some shit, wasn't even worth 100g. I'm not super rich like some other ppl though, but I have 130k which is nice enough to cover basic costs for stuff I want to buy.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I don't know if you have an alt train or not booze, but I pumped my alts to 1k gs and just sell their drops. It's been an easy 10k+ daily though T2 leapstones are tanking so it'll probably be less soon ;[

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I was doing that too, all my T2 alts selling leapstones, but yeah prices are weak now, only making like 500g per char, most of them are moving up to T3 soon-ish though, Blade already is T3, Bard needs likely only a couple of days more to get to T3, Paladin will be there next weekend or so. Having to do Punika over and over isn't going to be fun but eh, at least it's good xp, my blade got from 52 to 53 almost just doing story.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't know if you have an alt train or not booze, but I pumped my alts to 1k gs and just sell their drops. It's been an easy 10k+ daily though T2 leapstones are tanking so it'll probably be less soon ;[

I started alts later than I should have, right now I have a Sorc main 1350, a Paladin alt getting close to breaking into T3, a Zerker Alt that just hit T2 yesterday, and a Soulfist in T1.. So far I enjoy playing all of them aside from the Soulfist who seems to blow dick through a straw and by far the shittiest playstyle of them all.

I need to use my other two slots I guess even if it's just for Una's and silver.. Any recommendations? I am also tempted to just double up on Sorc or Zerker since I get double benefit of gems if I wanted.

I really wish you could buy other character slots for blues though, I don't mind spending a little money but roughly $10 a character slot seems like a lot for this.

• 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Actually I still need a forum bro who really understands all this shit to help me with the finer points of this tripod shit and what is BIS to aim for, same with engraving and shit and what to sell. There are so many so called guides out there that aren't worth a fuck bit of shit.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I just hit T2. My interest waned quiet a bit towards the end of T1 when I wasnt making much progress. Now that I have a ways to go until next soft cap, I am again interested. Whoever said that having T1 and T2 to wade through was bad for normies was probably very correct.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I have severe altitis for once in an MMO and would like to try everything if not also for the char slot thing. I have two tickets currently to expand and thinking about trying out pistoleer deadeye and saving the other for either destroyer/arcana.

I have zerker/sorc/scrapper/deathblade/artillerist/striker. Top 3 for me are zerk (main)/sorc/scrapper by far, but none of them feel like something I want to invest heavily in.

If I had to restart from scratch I would have made 1 zerk/5 sorc instead of all these different characters as well for easy farming until later classes release though.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have severe altitis for once in an MMO and would like to try everything if not also for the char slot thing. I have two tickets currently to expand and thinking about trying out pistoleer deadeye and saving the other for either destroyer/arcana.

I have zerker/sorc/scrapper/deathblade/artillerist/striker. Top 3 for me are zerk (main)/sorc/scrapper by far, but none of them feel like something I want to invest heavily in.

If I had to restart from scratch I would have made 1 zerk/5 sorc instead of all these different characters as well for easy farming until later classes release though.

I wish I knew if they planned to add additional character slots later when new classes are released, I mean I can always delete a character if needed but it does feel like a waste to do that

And making another steam account like others have done to double up their gold farms and shit is just a set I don't really want to take to be honest. Even though I would like to try a few more characters to see how they play and if I will enjoy them.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I doubt I'll delete anything at this point, but just figure that you aren't paying $15 a month so dropping $60 to max out char slots currently isn't a big deal tbh. I believe they just give you powerpasses or event passes when new chars release if it follows other regions so you can skip most of the bs.

I was tempted to do the alt account thing, but I'm already playing too much as is =D

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah I doubt I'll delete anything at this point, but just figure that you aren't paying $15 a month so dropping $60 to max out char slots currently isn't a big deal tbh. I believe they just give you powerpasses or event passes when new chars release if it follows other regions so you can skip most of the bs.

I was tempted to do the alt account thing, but I'm already playing too much as is =D

Yeah I figure when new classes are released and if I am still into it I would probably just drop $99 for the 12,00 royal crystals which should give me enough to open all the character slots if I wanted with a bit left over. Again knowing what I know now I would of gladly dropped the $100 on the founders pack and felt it was a good value for the time I spent.