Lost Ark Online

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Personally I dont think the two games compete with each other. I think Lost Ark will compete more with the ARPG crowds, even though its is more of a mmorpg.
they seem to be pretty different other than "play online with other people" but I haven't followed LA forever, just watched some clips and read stuff here

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Personally I dont think the two games compete with each other. I think Lost Ark will compete more with the ARPG crowds, even though its is more of a mmorpg.
Lost Ark is fairly unique in that it mixes up 2 different genres, but it works. It is a very very traditional theme park MMO, but it has the PoV and click-to-move combat of an ARPG. I see it pulling more of the MMO crowd than the ARPG crowd over time. Whether that will hurt NW's numbers, I doubt it. Amazon could be in a really good spot if they manage to polish up NW fast enough, and still have a huge population for LA.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just about done with the entire FFXIV story up through the xpac - drops in November, I would hope/think Lost ark drops before that expansion as I know a number of FF14 people who are just biding time until xpac and would jump in here for a month or two before Endwalker.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just about done with the entire FFXIV story up through the xpac - drops in November, I would hope/think Lost ark drops before that expansion as I know a number of FF14 people who are just biding time until xpac and would jump in here for a month or two before Endwalker.
FFXIV works well in doses, affording people plenty of time for another game or two. Unless of course, you're into the grindy stuff for cosmetics.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there anyone here currently playing this title via VPN?

I have no clue why, but this game is at the top of my must have list currently. Not sure if its because it looks new and shiny, despite being a few years old, or in fact an actual MMOARPG, which is quite different than the PoE / D3 forumla.

I am really thinking about downloading the Russian version and fiddling around with it.

For those that have played, is this the next great game on the horizon? I feel like everything else is a "been there and done that" sort of vibe, and none of the current mmos excite me anymore.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Is there anyone here currently playing this title via VPN?

I have no clue why, but this game is at the top of my must have list currently. Not sure if its because it looks new and shiny, despite being a few years old, or in fact an actual MMOARPG, which is quite different than the PoE / D3 forumla.

I am really thinking about downloading the Russian version and fiddling around with it.

For those that have played, is this the next great game on the horizon? I feel like everything else is a "been there and done that" sort of vibe, and none of the current mmos excite me anymore.

I play via VPN. It's incredibly easy to setup (search for any of the 10000 guides available) and will only cost you a few bucks for the VPN you use. In light of how quickly release is coming, I wouldn't recommend it though, unless you're just trying to figure out which classes you'll want to play (endgame basically requires you to maintain a few alts if you don't want to spend cash shop money, so you'll ideally want to be comfortable with at least 3 classes).

As it relates to your latter question, that's way overstating Lost Ark and that's coming from someone who intends to play the game quite a bit when it releases; it isn't the second coming and it has significant flaws. It does a whole lot of things really, really well but if you're sick of MMOs, I think you're setting yourself up to fail if you go in hoping that it's going to reimagine the MMO landscape and not feel repetitive.

If you're looking to maximize value, I'd recommend just waiting for launch and going from there. The first time you level up, you'll be going through multiple epic moments that feel great to play which is a bit cheapened by shoddy translations. By the time you reach max level, you'll be doing the status quo MMO thing (dailies, weeklies, raiding, upgrading gear, playing the market game, etc) and, based upon your feelings towards the aforementioned activities will dictate how much you'll enjoy LA.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I played this on RU for a few months and had a blast but couldn't find a static to run stuff with and then they announced the Western release so I bailed. Even though I've played this to max on a few classes, looking forward to this much more than New World and wish they'd announce release already. Really disappointed that Striker is the last class and not Lance Master.... Also bummed Destroyer isn't in at launch as I love playing that class. Looking at some online straw polls and Holy Knight seems to be insanely popular - can't wait for an army of "DPS" paladins to just pump blue skills as one of only two support classes in the game lol. Reddit is already in meltdown with "I can play the class like I want to, it doesn't HAVE TO be support!111!". MMO's... never change.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played this on RU for a few months and had a blast but couldn't find a static to run stuff with and then they announced the Western release so I bailed. Even though I've played this to max on a few classes, looking forward to this much more than New World and wish they'd announce release already. Really disappointed that Striker is the last class and not Lance Master.... Also bummed Destroyer isn't in at launch as I love playing that class. Looking at some online straw polls and Holy Knight seems to be insanely popular - can't wait for an army of "DPS" paladins to just pump blue skills as one of only two support classes in the game lol. Reddit is already in meltdown with "I can play the class like I want to, it doesn't HAVE TO be support!111!". MMO's... never change.

Lol. Oh jesus, I can see it now. People trying to be "Dps" bards or holy knights. Thankfully the developer is korean, so going to assume they wont cave to the retards here.

Also ditto for lance master. i wanted to play that. I think at this point I am going to do bard + gunslinger and maybe summoner.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lol. Oh jesus, I can see it now. People trying to be "Dps" bards or holy knights. Thankfully the developer is korean, so going to assume they wont cave to the retards here.

Also ditto for lance master. i wanted to play that. I think at this point I am going to do bard + gunslinger and maybe summoner.
If BDO is any indication, Korean devs are pretty good about just flat out ignoring Western "feedback".

Which, in BDO's case, has been both good but also really bad.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I’ve seen a lot of rumbling on p2w shit in this game. The packs seem borderline to my definition of p2w. I saw in game currency and potions.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I never understood the bitching about buying in-game currency with RL money as P2W. Because gold-seller sites don't exist or something?

James Franco Reaction GIF

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
It's mega pay to win (pay to progress), with two exceptions:

PvP
Hell raids

(They are both templated).

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I figured they were holding back on the next test / soft-release until after New World launches, but they just pushed that back a full month. Maybe they will announce a new beta in the next couple days as part of a marketing reshuffle at Amazon?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's mega pay to win (pay to progress), with two exceptions:
PvP
And that's the only one that matters. I could give a fuck less if Yuri in Siberia wants to drop $50k on doing dungeons/raids faster.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, the pay-to-progress is really retarded. You pay cash to get gold and upgrade mats to max out your gearscore aaaaanndd, do what? The only point of doing the content is to get gold and mats to upgrade your gear...

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well I mean no one said Lost Ark was the next big MMO. I just want to play it cause a lot of shit looks cool. Some of the shit I've seen is where I had always hoped Diablo would go. Not the rehashed model with a shit progression that it has turned into. Ill probably play it until the grind sets in and put it down, like most people have done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I've gotten a bit tired of an endgame model where it is nothing more than gear resets over and over, while calling it new content. The other aspect of LA which I think I'll dislike will be the raids (Guardians are fine). Its difficult to summarize my general dislike for raiding across all games, but I think it was King's Fall in Destiny that made me step back and look at what the raid was having players do.... and it was stupid. So now, I just find raids to be really dumb, and LA has a ton of mechanics that really make no sense for being there other than to have the players run around like lab rats.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Well I mean no one said Lost Ark was the next big MMO. I just want to play it cause a lot of shit looks cool. Some of the shit I've seen is where I had always hoped Diablo would go. Not the rehashed model with a shit progression that it has turned into. Ill probably play it until the grind sets in and put it down, like most people have done.

That's just it. There is no grind in Lost Ark. To try to push you to spend money, the things you can do to earn gold/mats are severely limited. So, you log in, do your weekly dungeon, ok that's done for the week. Weekly Epona quests, maybe 30 minutes or so a day, for 3 days, that's done. 3 daily eponas, that's 15ish minutes. Spend your workpoints gathering, that's 15-30 minutes a day, depending on what you gather. Now, you can either do some of the boring, tedious side shit they make you do to work on getting your skill point pots (not technically a grind, since each only has to be earned once, and "extra" skill points are account/server wide), or you can queue for arena. That's it.

Usually, the grind in an MMO is for gold, gear, or xp. None of that here. Unless you want to do like I do in RU and run extra accounts. That's a bit of a grind, but not too bad. Leveling to 50 is the worst part. Once (or twice) for each account. Then you just log in, dailes/weeklies (for epona gold bag) and gather. Takes 30-45 minutes per account. With 2 level 50s you can earn enough epona badges for the bag in 2 days, then for the rest of the week you can just log in and gather. I make about 24k gold a week, when I actually feel like doing it.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That's just it. There is no grind in Lost Ark. To try to push you to spend money, the things you can do to earn gold/mats are severely limited. So, you log in, do your weekly dungeon, ok that's done for the week. Weekly Epona quests, maybe 30 minutes or so a day, for 3 days, that's done. 3 daily eponas, that's 15ish minutes. Spend your workpoints gathering, that's 15-30 minutes a day, depending on what you gather. Now, you can either do some of the boring, tedious side shit they make you do to work on getting your skill point pots (not technically a grind, since each only has to be earned once, and "extra" skill points are account/server wide), or you can queue for arena. That's it.

Usually, the grind in an MMO is for gold, gear, or xp. None of that here. Unless you want to do like I do in RU and run extra accounts. That's a bit of a grind, but not too bad. Leveling to 50 is the worst part. Once (or twice) for each account. Then you just log in, dailes/weeklies (for epona gold bag) and gather. Takes 30-45 minutes per account. With 2 level 50s you can earn enough epona badges for the bag in 2 days, then for the rest of the week you can just log in and gather. I make about 24k gold a week, when I actually feel like doing it.
And honestly? That sounds amazing to me. Sure, it's not going to be a game I can devote 40 hours a week to, but it's nice to have a game that can be used for "side" activities or when you get bored of your "main" game/MMO.