Lost Ark Online

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Count me in as one of those barely hanging on. I hit 1415 today, watched a couple of Valtan videos to learn it, and I'm like "do I really want to put in the effort?"

Yes to Valtan. You've made it to 1415. It's a fun encounter to learn -- even those who seem to be pretty burned out in the guild enjoy it. I think it would be pretty silly to make it there and quit before running it; it's the literal reward for putting up with that last bit of honing grind. If after you raid it you don't enjoy the encounter and your desire to log in to get to the hard mode isn't there, well, you know you're certainly done. From a pure statistics point of view, retention went WAY up in every region once people did Legion raids. Do yourself the favor and give it a go (preferably in coms with friends drinking/learning). If you do end up enjoying it, well the next few months will have more of that good stuff to actually play MMO content and with the release cadence, you'll enjoy yourself quite a bit.

Kythik Kythik : I'm sure you've seen this before but we need to 1v1 on: Lost Ark Typing Practice

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I wouldn't mind a MMO taking the span EQ and WoW did, I also dont expect it or look for it in every new game. If it happens great, if not, oh well. Even during those 2 games heydays, I played other games, including other MMOs(iirc I spent a lot of 2001 to 2003 in DAOC, AO, FFXI, in the middle of playing EQ). There's always been plenty of other things to do, no reason to tunnel on 1 game only, especially a MMO.

Gaming in the end is all about having fun. The minute you stop having fun, stop playing. I honestly can only think of 1 game I bought that I didn't feel I got the hours of entertainment out of it, for its cost, and that was the original FFXIV launch. Otherwise for quite a while now, its almost always at least 100 hours worth of playtime in everything I play.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Valtan is an easy to learn (literally see the mechanics once and that's pretty much it) and an overall fun fight. Pug 1 shot on my scrapper and 3 tries with my glaivier today so unless you go full learning party you're likely to get carried even if you're balls at the game.

Plus 1415 is the start of access for solid money making loot, hard mode chaos line w/ a lot of good materials, guardian raid is a joke (mostly done in 3-4 minutes tops) and potential loot pinata. NAW I've been selling even 3/3 relic accessories for a couple k and have had 3 pieces of decent +5/3 go for 15-20k. Shit adds up quick compared to the 50-100g I was getting for the majority of legendary pieces.

---

Also seconded on not making MMOs the only thing you play now a days especially this one unless you're a mokoko gathering type. There are so many good games across so many platforms now if you've been ignoring the last decade no matter what genres you like and access to a lot of these SaaS models for low sub can lay out 100+ games worth playing (or at the very least worth trying) for <$2-20 a month depending on if you snag deals from the PC. Cleared out a shit load of my backlog when I gave up full timing WoW classic. Now I mainly do my lost ark chores during the day and alt game on the weekends while rested accrues. Though if a non asian MMO comes out that is actually good, lives up to hype etc. then I'll probably eat my words and go full 60 hour a week MMO sperglord again ;D

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Yes to Valtan. You've made it to 1415. It's a fun encounter to learn -- even those who seem to be pretty burned out in the guild enjoy it. I think it would be pretty silly to make it there and quit before running it; it's the literal reward for putting up with that last bit of honing grind. If after you raid it you don't enjoy the encounter and your desire to log in to get to the hard mode isn't there, well, you know you're certainly done. From a pure statistics point of view, retention went WAY up in every region once people did Legion raids. Do yourself the favor and give it a go (preferably in coms with friends drinking/learning). If you do end up enjoying it, well the next few months will have more of that good stuff to actually play MMO content and with the release cadence, you'll enjoy yourself quite a bit.

Kythik Kythik : I'm sure you've seen this before but we need to 1v1 on: Lost Ark Typing Practice
My fail rate is horrific. I should probably get to writing an AHK script to do it for me.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'll take a stab at answering this even if I fall deftly under the category of 'when I quit MMOs, I don't normally come back'. I'd be interested in hearing Raes Raes weigh in as well though because prior to launch he stated that he plays a lot and takes breaks fairly often, so his mileage will likely reflect other people more. He also took a lot of flack for it at the time, so some vindication seems in order!

With that being said, my experience is that when people quit LA that has made it to Legion raids+, they do what every MMO player does: they watch some TV, catch up on social life, enjoy summer. That lasts a few weeks at best. Then they go through their steam library (it likely has 5000+ games they swore they'd play but never did). That lasts an extra week. They then see a new class get's released in LA. They remember the fun of the combat system. Shit, the class looks fun as fuck too. They tentatively log in and are rewarded to some express pass and a honing buff. All of a sudden every day is like launch again - they're gaining 50 ilvls, going through legion raids and having a blast. Fuck, they might even get an accessory that sells for a metric fuckton still and it feels good to be the envy of the world. Of course the inevitable occurs: they hit the catch up point where the wall is and fail a bunch of honing. They remember how much they hated that shit. They make a mental note to not come back. The game won't get any of my money this time - the fuckers tricked me by releasing this class.

They repeat this cycle until the next class is released. But this one lets you play as fucking Iron Man, so how can you not play?

My experience is similar to your example, replacing "quitting" with "taking a break." One of the main issues I have with these types of games is the fact that I enjoy character progression and once you get to a certain point that progression is limited to boring minimal number upgrades. In Lost Ark, once you level up and get enough skill points for your build your progression is either annoyingly expensive (engravings), boring stat increases (more ap and hp), and sometimes even a downgrade thanks to fucking retarded rando new set bonuses. Add the gold grind and upgrade rng to that and it's just work for very little payoff. I want to play not work.

The progression is what brings me back. Learning a new class and figuring out my builds is fun. After that though, it just goes straight back to being a list of chores to do. LA is more "game" than "world" but, unfortunately, outside of raids (which have their own problems) none of the "games" offer any challenge whatsoever. I'd have more fun playing tic-tac-toe with myself.

For the past couple months I've only been logging in to do my guild contribution and sell fusions. There are 5 reasons for this.

1.) I've done all this already in RU.
2.) Still no Scouter, and looks like it will be 6 months before we get it thanks to Amazon's stupid 1 class every 2 months bullshit. Which leads to...
3.) I absolutely despise the Amazon team and their fucktarded decisions and it actually lessens my enjoyment of the game.
4.) Bots. Because fish are so damn cheap fusions only sell for 8-9g instead of 11-12 where they should be. (also due to reason 3)
5.) I moved to Oakland a couple weeks ago and started a new job.

Riot's game might be the next tentpole western mmo, years from now when it launches, but there are other korean mmos coming much sooner, including T&L this summer and LA's numbers are going to tank when that happens. Not saying it will be great, hard to make any calls yet based on what we've seen, but it will be new and shiny and that will be enough. I think it will be fucking hilarious if it launches at the same time that AGS fiiiiiiiiinaaaally releases Scouter and...no one cares.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your number 1 is why I limited myself so much in RU. I knew if I went all out, I would get into NA and be done in less then a month.

• 1Solidarity

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I've been looking forward to Scouter and Reaper. I think that's contributing to the fatigue now knowing they won't be around any time soon.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Your number 1 is why I limited myself so much in RU. I knew if I went all out, I would get into NA and be done in less then a month.

It's usually not an issue. Like, I played KR BDO hardcore for months before NA launch. Same with Archeage alpha. In BDO I even had a similar situation with the NA version not having my preferred class at launch, but I was at least able to work on horse breeding, fishing and trading while waiting. And, other than weapons (which I could still sell on the AH and then buy the equivalent replacement), I could move all my gear to my preferred class when it was added. In LA there's just the time/rng-gated gold/mat grind, or what, leveling my estate? Ugh.

I don't burn out on mmos, I get gradually worn down by shitty design flaws and stupid dev decisions.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Riot's game might be the next tentpole western mmo, years from now when it launches, but there are other korean mmos coming much sooner, including T&L this summer and LA's numbers are going to tank when that happens. Not saying it will be great, hard to make any calls yet based on what we've seen, but it will be new and shiny and that will be enough. I think it will be fucking hilarious if it launches at the same time that AGS fiiiiiiiiinaaaally releases Scouter and...no one cares.
I am also looking forward to Throne and Liberty but that game is slated for 4th quarter the last I heard. Where did you read Summer at?

Riots MMO and Ashes of Creation are sadly years away.

I admire the people able to continue the dailies on 5+ ALTS in this game. At first it seems ok, until you realize that a weeks worth of farming might get you 5 increases in gear. I really wish they would have just increased the number and left the percentages at a manageable level. A game should not depress a player. That is the opposite of why players play a game. However this game is more of an addiction. You have to have the crash to appreciate the high. It takes a certain mentality and hours/money to play this game at the high end. I am sadly not of that mentality as I quickly burnout on repetition. I can do it for a few days but if I do not see a carrot for my effort I tend to log in less.

I don't burn out on mmos, I get gradually worn down by shitty design flaws and stupid dev decisions.
Sadly this is the games problem. The raid/combat is the only interesting aspect of the game. Everything else is just a bland filler that has little to no interest. You have collections and an unbalanced PvP system. I do not play MMO's to collect things, anymore than I do to jump just right(Looking at you Guildwars 2). I will PvP if the system is made well enough( /Wave Dark Ages of Camelot).

Elements of play brings me to one that many players enjoy, The Marketplace. Of all the things to mess with in an MMO, this game introduced to me a new kind of system that I hope to never see again. Whoever came up with Pheons should just be shot. It is the worst mechanic I have seen introduced in an MMO in a long time. But lets face it, this game was not designed to actually be fun beyond feeding the addiction. It has great combat and good raids. That is all they needed to then create all of these other rule sets. Rule Sets designed to take advantage of the addiction and make them money. It obviously works or the game would have collapsed already. BoTs still exist, so somebody is buying the gold.

I will still log on but I am taking a little bit more control of how I play.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I am also looking forward to Throne and Liberty but that game is slated for 4th quarter the last I heard. Where did you read Summer at?

My bad, shittily worded article. I thought it was going to be July/August, but I guess it's Oct/Nov. Which will line up with Scouter release if they do him last.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
5 fully juiced taps <_<. Sorry for your losses.

hnnnng.png

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
5 fully juiced taps <_<. Sorry for your losses.

Pretty certain there are multiple people who want to murder you right now but congrats!

Our hard mode Valtan clear tonight was incredibly smooth. We also finished 3rd in the PVE GVG & 4th in the PVP GVE rankings as of tonight. Still looking to add more forum folks that are looking for an MMO to play (or if anyone is coming back). We raid Thursday's & Saturday's with the hope of recruiting a bit more to start some secondary runs.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
It's being paid back on my other chars. I pitied 3 pieces on on glavier to 1400 -> 1415 and managed to get my zerker from 1385 -> 1393 eating all my leftovers/bound mats (600GHL!) and another 15k in purchased mats with multiple 70%+ artisans/pities.

But that sweet sweet glow is done.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
It's being paid back on my other chars. I pitied 3 pieces on on glavier to 1400 -> 1415 and managed to get my zerker from 1385 -> 1393 eating all my leftovers/bound mats (600GHL!) and another 15k in purchased mats with multiple 70%+ artisans/pities.

But that sweet sweet glow is done.

No +21 and 100%? It feels like I'm chatting with a filthy casual.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Hah. I gotta push to the rest of the armor to +17 first so I can at least start doing HM Valtan for relic pieces and I'd like to get that zerk to 1415. Then we'll see about getting HM Vykas ready on scrapper depending on how bad pugs look or start bringing the other 1370s on the roster into the 1415 land.

No +21 and 100%? It feels like I'm chatting with a filthy casual.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
What did it cost?
All silver+ starter packs ($99.99 + $49.99 + 24.99) & 12,00 Royal Crystals for additional slots ($100.00) so about $275.00. So from a cost standpoint, I think the 1500 hours I have played was worth it. I'm also sitting on 1.6 million gold (lost about 100k switching to EO last night), which I could probably sell for a bit and turn quite the profit?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
All silver+ starter packs ($99.99 + $49.99 + 24.99) & 12,00 Royal Crystals for additional slots ($100.00) so about $275.00. So from a cost standpoint, I think the 1500 hours I have played was worth it. I'm also sitting on 1.6 million gold (lost about 100k switching to EO last night), which I could probably sell for a bit and turn quite the profit?

Grats on 60 =D. Hell cube or au naturel? I'm seeing quite a few pop up lately and they all seem to be doing the cube which would probably make me quit after the first hour.