Lost Ark Online

Raes

Vyemm Raider
What's this gacha jar skin shit. Lemme buy outright or get fucked.

Legendary skins are tradeable. Most look like crap but you get 2x the AP bonus. And there's a function that lets you wear another costume on top of a legendary, so you don't have to use the shitty looking skin and still get the bonus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
-Chaos Dungeon exchange vendor rewards have been adjusted to be character bound. Shards earned from Chaos Dungeons are Roster bound, so players can share them with other characters on their Roster in order to redeem rewards from the exchange on alternate characters.

Isn't this how it works already?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Only for T1/T2. T3 you can farm "infinite chaos" and buy various materials/accessories that increase in price with each purchase. Great for grinders who want extra mats/cash and of course it's bis for bots.

Isn't this how it works already?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Tomorrow's patch includes

-Chaos Dungeon exchange vendor rewards have been adjusted to be character bound. Shards earned from Chaos Dungeons are Roster bound, so players can share them with other characters on their Roster in order to redeem rewards from the exchange on alternate characters.

-Reverted the dash distance changes on the Radiant Golden Cloud mount. The cooldown for the dash remains at 5 seconds.

The Radiant Golden Cloud mount has gone up 5k gold already. The infinite chaos rewards should have been done weeks ago but good.

One would of thought the Chaos Dungeon change would have been done prior to the relic jewelry that pointed out that bots had thousands upon thousands of shards built up to buy it day one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Feel bad for Voldeth Voldeth . He's never going to get his reaper at this pace.

It's Scouter but yes, I feel bad for me too.

Vykas is sooner than I thought but thats more raid content this month and everyone enjoys Valtan, so it's more of the good content to do weekly (will also let us complete our sets).

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I am officially never allowed to complain about RNG again after these last couple weeks. Wanted to get to at least 1430 for Vykas and saw that hard mode chaos line had shard bags in the exchange so I had an excuse to start tapping weapon again. 3 taps for +18->19. That's like 10 taps for +16->19. Might even get 1445 this week if I can wrangle up the GHLs.

asdfadsfasdf.png

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm fully expecting pity weapon +20 and pity the rest of my armor that needs to get to +17. So far pity legs +13->14.

I don't even want to hone my other chars at the moment to ruin this good luck streak even though I need to get glaivier and zerk to 1415 =[.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
On the flip side I logged out in disgust today trying to get my helm from 17-18 when I ran out of Gleaps. You get about 4.5% pity per attempt and I am at about 88%. Yeah I pretty close to throwing in the towel at this gated ass faggotry.

• 1Solidarity

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
On the flip side I logged out in disgust today trying to get my helm from 17-18 when I ran out of Gleaps. You get about 4.5% pity per attempt and I am at about 88%. Yeah I pretty close to throwing in the towel at this gated ass faggotry.

Are you using additional mats?

I've been using Lost Ark tools and resources just put in your region prices and see what's most efficient cost wise per each tap attempt. Doing so adds additional pity and potentially saves you money in the long haul especially if you're not getting early wins.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Are you using additional mats?

I've been using Lost Ark tools and resources just put in your region prices and see what's most efficient cost wise per each tap attempt. Doing so adds additional pity and potentially saves you money in the long haul especially if you're not getting early wins.

I follow those but that doesn't change the fact RNG is RNG. I went full pity on it, typically I haven't had the worst luck on items but over the last month or so on my main my luck on Armor pieces has been pure fucking ass. I have pitied more pieces of that shit than I have on any weapon on any character.

I am sure over time it evens out because again it's the law of averages but holy shit does this game deep dick your shithole at times. 1457.5 now 1 more item upgrade to hit 1460 and probably will sit there for a while until I have to move up for more content. I would like to get one of these super lucky honing sessions all the others seem to brag about.

Grav is about the only other one I know who has had to go through a complete shit ass faggot bad luck streak in the guild.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Oh for sure, just keeping an eye out since I was doing a lot of raw taps and didn't realize adding some extra mats was worth it at certain price points.

Yeah over my roster I'm on the average side/bad side on most characters, but in this case for weapon I've been insanely lucky. I have pitied legs +14/+15 and helm +15 so far since my post though =O

Out of GHL again so 1445 must wait.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just barely hanging on. I've only been logging in to do una's and then chaos on my main. Haven't run an abyss in 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sick of running the same guardian raids over and over. Haven't been doing any of the daily content either (islands, chaos gate, bosses).

Really the only actual "content" I'm doing is the weekly Argos and Valtan raids. If Vykas sucks ass, I'll probably throw in the towel.

That's not to say I dislike the game. I've put in almost 900 hours. But the systems are definitely starting to wear on me. And without the "horizontal" stuff to break up the monotony, I'm finding it hard to care.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That's not to say I dislike the game. I've put in almost 900 hours.
And that's EASILY worth the money.

I think with where the MMO genre is at currently, people have to quit with the idea/notion that you must play an MMO forever/years. The only reason that worked for games like EQ and to a lesser extent WoW is because of novelty and lack of options. The novelty in 2022 has long since expired and the options nowadays are nearly limitless - I have a "backlog" on Steam that's easily 30 games deep.

Anything over 500 hours in the MMO genre is a total win IMO.

• 1Like

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
And that's EASILY worth the money.

I think with where the MMO genre is at currently, people have to quit with the idea/notion that you must play an MMO forever/years. The only reason that worked for games like EQ and to a lesser extent WoW is because of novelty and lack of options. The novelty in 2022 has long since expired and the options nowadays are nearly limitless - I have a "backlog" on Steam that's easily 30 games deep.

Anything over 500 hours in the MMO genre is a total win IMO.

I agree with the premise of this post however 500 hours is a weird cut-off for me. Most MMO players I know haven't gotten above 50 hours in a new MMO for the last decade or so. This is also a F2P game, so while I don't mind people who hate a lot about Lost Ark (I do too) I would hope that everyone agrees that they got their money's worth on this game.

Also, just want to emphasis, there is absolutely nothing coming out in the MMO landscape. Given the amount of production time a good MMO takes, if you're an MMO junkie like a lot of us are here, you really should consider just taking a break from LA when it frustrates you and coming back for new classes rather than getting so frustrated that you quit/delete. You're not going to have much else to play until something like Riot's MMO comes out in 2030. Also, if you're lurking the forums, you absolutely can still roll on Regulus and ask for a guild invite / help to satisfy your itch (please roll bard or paladin).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I agree with the premise of this post however 500 hours is a weird cut-off for me. Most MMO players I know haven't gotten above 50 hours in a new MMO for the last decade or so. This is also a F2P game, so while I don't mind people who hate a lot about Lost Ark (I do too) I would hope that everyone agrees that they got their money's worth on this game.

Also, just want to emphasis, there is absolutely nothing coming out in the MMO landscape. Given the amount of production time a good MMO takes, if you're an MMO junkie like a lot of us are here, you really should consider just taking a break from LA when it frustrates you and coming back for new classes rather than getting so frustrated that you quit/delete. You're not going to have much else to play until something like Riot's MMO comes out in 2030. Also, if you're lurking the forums, you absolutely can still roll on Regulus and ask for a guild invite / help to satisfy your itch (please roll bard or paladin).
Eh, I put the cutoff at 500 hours because I think that is a solid amount of time to give an accurate assessment of most any MMO's systems. I don't think you can do that at 50 hours with most MMOs, or even 150.

As far as MMO's on the horizon, I think Fractured Online looks really promising. But, it's going to be very niche (mostly appealing to those of us who liked UO) and it needs probably at least another year or so of work. Ashes of Creation sounds cool, but I think that game is going to suffer from system bloat like a motherfucker. Not to mention all the money it'll waste on all the likely stop/restarts on the project.

But, you're probably right in that Riot's MMO is probably the next "big" MMO that'll have broad appeal, similar to a Lost Ark, FF14, WoW, etc.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Regardless of the hours it is worth the initial experience of just hitting 50 the first time and running the dungeons. It has plenty of fun little mini games, side quests, towers, but most of them are either built to an extreme, they are one time things, or designed to run everyday in perpetuity for the rest of the games life, only for you to gamble your daily paycheck in the slot machine on multiple characters. Anyone who pauses or takes a break is better off quitting once you break that cycle because you will remain forever behind unless you dump cash in to catch up.

So while Voldeth Voldeth advice does sound logical one you get on the wagon why would you ever get back on?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Regardless of the hours it is worth the initial experience of just hitting 50 the first time and running the dungeons. It has plenty of fun little mini games, side quests, towers, but most of them are either built to an extreme, they are one time things, or designed to run everyday in perpetuity for the rest of the games life, only for you to gamble your daily paycheck in the slot machine on multiple characters. Anyone who pauses or takes a break is better off quitting once you break that cycle because you will remain forever behind unless you dump cash in to catch up.

So while Voldeth Voldeth advice does sound logical one you get on the wagon why would you ever get back on?

I'll take a stab at answering this even if I fall deftly under the category of 'when I quit MMOs, I don't normally come back'. I'd be interested in hearing Raes Raes weigh in as well though because prior to launch he stated that he plays a lot and takes breaks fairly often, so his mileage will likely reflect other people more. He also took a lot of flack for it at the time, so some vindication seems in order!

With that being said, my experience is that when people quit LA that has made it to Legion raids+, they do what every MMO player does: they watch some TV, catch up on social life, enjoy summer. That lasts a few weeks at best. Then they go through their steam library (it likely has 5000+ games they swore they'd play but never did). That lasts an extra week. They then see a new class get's released in LA. They remember the fun of the combat system. Shit, the class looks fun as fuck too. They tentatively log in and are rewarded to some express pass and a honing buff. All of a sudden every day is like launch again - they're gaining 50 ilvls, going through legion raids and having a blast. Fuck, they might even get an accessory that sells for a metric fuckton still and it feels good to be the envy of the world. Of course the inevitable occurs: they hit the catch up point where the wall is and fail a bunch of honing. They remember how much they hated that shit. They make a mental note to not come back. The game won't get any of my money this time - the fuckers tricked me by releasing this class.

They repeat this cycle until the next class is released. But this one lets you play as fucking Iron Man, so how can you not play?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
With that being said, my experience is that when people quit LA that has made it to Legion raids+, they do what every MMO player does: they watch some TV, catch up on social life, enjoy summer. That lasts a few weeks at best. Then they go through their steam library (it likely has 5000+ games they swore they'd play but never did). That lasts an extra week. They then see a new class get's released in LA. They remember the fun of the combat system. Shit, the class looks fun as fuck too. They tentatively log in and are rewarded to some express pass and a honing buff. All of a sudden every day is like launch again - they're gaining 50 ilvls, going through legion raids and having a blast. Fuck, they might even get an accessory that sells for a metric fuckton still and it feels good to be the envy of the world. Of course the inevitable occurs: they hit the catch up point where the wall is and fail a bunch of honing. They remember how much they hated that shit. They make a mental note to not come back. The game won't get any of my money this time - the fuckers tricked me by releasing this class.

They repeat this cycle until the next class is released. But this one lets you play as fucking Iron Man, so how can you not play?
I mean, I get what you are saying, but I feel like this is true of a fairly large number of MMOs. I did the same with EQ, WoW, EQ2, etc. Each time I "returned", it was for less time than the original stint, until the point where I just don't play at all and have no desire to come back. Sure, some MMOs like EQ will snag me on nostalgia for a month or two (Mischief server grabbed me for a good 6 months), but I haven't touched WoW since Legion and hold ZERO nostalgia for that game, despite being in a top 3 world-wide guild during the TBC era. Same story for FF14 - I played around the time Heavensward was released, returned around the middle of Shadowbringers, quit after a month or so, and I won't touch that weeb shit ever again. The list goes on and on, each time I "return" it gets a little easier to put it down.

The cyclical content that Korean F2P games tend to do works for a bit (and hopefully long enough for them to get you to drop $40-50), but it's usually something you'll put a week or two into, realize why you quit, and then shelve it for months again - to the eventual point where you just never return.

And I think that's ok. I think people just need to resign themselves to the state of MMOs in 2022. A game like The Witcher might be amazing, take hundreds of hours to "complete", and be one of the best gaming experiences of your life. Why do we hold MMOs to such lofty "time played" standards? Many people have their fun and move on and I think it's time for players to realize they don't need to buy into a "sunken cost" fallacy with MMOs anymore. The gaming world has far, far too many options nowadays. You can have your fun, enjoy your time, and move on from the experience when the game starts feeling more like a chore rather than something you look forward to doing each day.

• 1Like

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
Count me in as one of those barely hanging on. I hit 1415 today, watched a couple of Valtan videos to learn it, and I'm like "do I really want to put in the effort?"