Lost Ark Online

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
After spending the day watching Lost Ark content, I am really all over the place on the starting character. I normally alt out and nice to have a game that encourages that but this, wow. Normally I start with tanks but I thinking of doing something different here; I was thinking Berserker at first but now realize there will be 1.2 million of them to start, so now I more like Striker or Artillerist. Seems like there will be plenty of opportunities to try lots of things out.

This is really the thing that Lost Ark has going for it which makes up for all of the sins that would drive me away from it. Like, I absolutely fucking hate daily quests and alts, so you would think I'd hate the game but the class design & combat are absolutely top notch. It's difficult to describe just how fun it is to roll a class and farm 15 minutes of chaos dungeons or how when they release a new class it's a downright giddy joy to fuck around with because it just feels good to play. They also don't suck at balancing classes, so the fairytale of being viable regardless of what class you pick is actually true here.

Can we get a Lost Ark channel added to the Discord server?

I sent a PM to Alk to see if he'd oblige.

Nothing really wrong with the FOH one, but id prefer we use one where we have a bit more control. “Please guy, can you do this even though you don’t even post on FOH much anymore?” Is going to get old pretty fast.

Voldeth Voldeth I have the old rerolled one, but don’t you already have one of your own?

I do have my own and while I appreciate the sentiment, I think there's value in just sticking to the FoH one if we're able to get a channel created for us. If it becomes problematic I'll just post the info at that point as I suspect everyone would rather have the ability to chat on Discord instead of using the shitty in game chat.

I would never waste skill points on extra range on movement skills pre-50. Yes, waiting on cds to reset to change tripods is annoying, and yes you can experiment later in Trixion, but IMO testing shit out and making a build as you level that's efficient for YOU is going to save you enough time overall to more than make up for the few minutes you spend testing tripods. It will also mean that you have a basic knowledge of what all your skills and tripods do when you do go to Trixion at 50 to tweak them, instead of having to deal with learning everything all at once.

As someone who does a fair amount of speed leveling (part of the appeal for early access is rushing for me -- I intend to get 3 characters to 50 within the first ~30 hours provided things 'go right' with being able to log in (they won't) I agree with this quite a bit but I also don't see much harm in people following a guide like that. To each their own, albeit a lot of those guides are going to be used by people who then won't really understand much at 50 (beta was hilarious for every guardian group that didn't know how to counter). I would however recommend anyone that's looking to actually have fun to do their own thing and test out abilities and have fun with it. Class design and abilities are fantastic (even if a lot of classes only unlock the good stuff later on) so learning about some of the other abilities you get that you may not use much of will definitely come in handy.

I don't know why you wouldn't since running is literally the slowest part. They can be used before you mount between spots, and especially in dungeons during speed cloak downtime. It's usually only 4 points in 2-3 skills too, so it has very little impact on actual power levels besides specific level ranges. For the most part any strong skill will one shot every trash mobs anyway, and optimizing for dungeon boss DPS seems utterly pointless versus optimizing for movement when you spend a lot more time moving than fighting dungeon boss(you can also switch before a boss since movement skills have low cd if you really want, mostly useful if you're at the levels that let you get a 3rd tier tripod on a good skill by unspecing them).

For the learning the game thing, personally I do like that too, but I don't fault people for following guides if they want to. It's certainly not like botting your way where you don't play the game, you just experience only a specific part of the class without discovering the other facets until you test them.

Don't want to derail the topic too much but while you're right, I don't think it's the time saver you may think it is. Of course spending some points in movement abilities will make things 'slightly' faster. For instance on Soulfist, you can get extended mobility right away and use spacebar to cancel the combat animation to get a slight increase. With that being said, the amount of time saved with that stuff is really, really small compared to the zillion of other things (knowing which mobs you need to kill in Morai to unlock the ability to move forward, knowing which ports to unlock even if they're slightly off the quest path since you'll use them more later, etc etc) which saves a lot more time. The game is on such a straight path that the difference between leveling and learning versus speed leveling is just so very small that I just hope people won't focus too much on these guides and instead on learning and having fun (even if I'll admittedly be speed leveling).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean, play how you want dude. Your movement skills are maybe saving you 20 minutes 1-50. Most of your time is spent on horseback, or spamming G to skip dialogue one line at a time. Tripod levels aren't just about damage either, they are about completely changing how the skill works. Anyway, the main point is, (and you are doing this) is play how you want and learn the game yourself, don't rely completely on some guide telling you what to do.
Oh they're not saving 4hours that's for sure, I don't even know about 15mins, but the damage tripods more or less don't save any time at all, even the ones that change how the skills work. Maybe the ones that increase aoe size, but I don't think I've ran into situations where I just had nothing to press to kill things anyway. Most quest is just aggro a bunch of mobs on horse back(or on foot if in a dungeon), group them up, then one shot them with a single strong skill. The skill doing more damage isn't going to one shot them harder, one shot is one shot regardless.

Obviously at certain levels when you unlock certain skills it can be worth it(24 iirc for the 3rd tier of tripods on your first skill? That can make a skill that's meh into a powerhouse or just simplify, then I respec for a level) but the guides will go out of their way to remove the movement skills to get 3secs off an aoe cd or 20% dmg to another aoe, when it really kinda doesn't matter, while the movement skills are still useful anytime you're in a scenario, dungeon or everytime you dismount if the movement skills have fast animations so you use them then mount, instead of just mounting. It's just free movement and that saves a little but of time.

Just saying if the guides are about optimizing leveling speed they should focus more on movement than damage, damage is never a concern while leveling even in hard mode dungeons on bard, everything just melts, hard mode dungeons bosses are slower but normal ones just kinda explode if you throw all your bar at them even if you don't respec for them(which honestly besides bard and maybe paladin there's no reason to).

It's similar to how they all recommend endgame stats distribution for leveling, like crit/spec and shit, but how much are these even doing when you're leveling? I'd rather max swiftness and have movement speed+cd, the leveling gear will be binned the moment you reach 50 anyway and 10% crit is definitely not saving as much time as 10% cooldown reduction, not is building identity worth more than just running faster in all phases where you can't mount. At least to me I just don't see how they'd rate them better for leveling. But maybe it's cause I played classes that had strong clearing skills only? I only leveled Scrapper and Summoner and both have two or three one button clear aoes so it felt very pointless to build for damage over building for speed.

Overall I feel I'll take 5 or maybe 10mins saved over nothing saved at all, which is how I see not taking the movement skills to put 5more points into damage skills instead and specing crit instead of swiftness.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Oh they're not saving 4hours that's for sure, I don't even know about 15mins, but the damage tripods more or less don't save any time at all, even the ones that change how the skills work. Maybe the ones that increase aoe size, but I don't think I've ran into situations where I just had nothing to press to kill things anyway. Most quest is just aggro a bunch of mobs on horse back(or on foot if in a dungeon), group them up, then one shot them with a single strong skill. The skill doing more damage isn't going to one shot them harder, one shot is one shot regardless.

Obviously at certain levels when you unlock certain skills it can be worth it(24 iirc for the 3rd tier of tripods on your first skill? That can make a skill that's meh into a powerhouse or just simplify, then I respec for a level) but the guides will go out of their way to remove the movement skills to get 3secs off an aoe cd or 20% dmg to another aoe, when it really kinda doesn't matter, while the movement skills are still useful anytime you're in a scenario, dungeon or everytime you dismount if the movement skills have fast animations so you use them then mount, instead of just mounting. It's just free movement and that saves a little but of time.

Just saying if the guides are about optimizing leveling speed they should focus more on movement than damage, damage is never a concern while leveling even in hard mode dungeons on bard, everything just melts, hard mode dungeons bosses are slower but normal ones just kinda explode if you throw all your bar at them even if you don't respec for them(which honestly besides bard and maybe paladin there's no reason to).

It's similar to how they all recommend endgame stats distribution for leveling, like crit/spec and shit, but how much are these even doing when you're leveling? I'd rather max swiftness and have movement speed+cd, the leveling gear will be binned the moment you reach 50 anyway and 10% crit is definitely not saving as much time as 10% cooldown reduction, not is building identity worth more than just running faster in all phases where you can't mount. At least to me I just don't see how they'd rate them better for leveling. But maybe it's cause I played classes that had strong clearing skills only? I only leveled Scrapper and Summoner and both have two or three one button clear aoes so it felt very pointless to build for damage over building for speed.

Overall I feel I'll take 5 or maybe 10mins saved over nothing saved at all, which is how I see not taking the movement skills to put 5more points into damage skills instead and specing crit instead of swiftness.
All classes are different, so the effectiveness of higher levels of tripods can vary wildly. I've played every class except the non paladin warriors and bard, so my perspective is a little different. Not all mobs are one shots, and there are elites too. The difference in classes is also exacerbated by the fact that the skills they typically start you out with tend to be shitty. Normal dungeons trash mobs do tend to have fewer hp than overworld mobs, so yeah, they blow up easy.

The few pieces of rando jewelry you get while leveling mainly help by upping your attack power, and you can't really focus on what stats you want, but I try to prioritize agil, then crit (although, the max crit you can get isn't really helping much) and some classes are helped a lot more by specialty than others.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Leveling via MSQ is the biggest "failure" of Lost Ark given the quality of combat. Its like watching a football game, where you have maybe 5 seconds of gameplay followed by 5 minutes of commentary, commercials, etc. Since I put together a set of 4 main skills on my RU Sorc, I just want to blow shit up, but its rare to get the chance to do so.

• 2Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
If you're gonna use that, might as well download a bot to play for you too.
Isn't that what transfer knowledge is basically doing you if I understand correctly? Leveling the character for you. Or it's something else?

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So which martial artist should I go? I keep hearing everyone say striker but soulfist looks like it's the coolest.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My best friend and I are going to play LA, but neither of us know shit about this game apart from watching a few videos trying to decide which class to play. Already, the art direction has me feeling like I need to take a shower. It's an incel's dreamworld.

I settled on playing one of the two Assassin classes (not sure which, help?). However, I'm genuinely not happy that there is no male option and you faggots that think it's sexist that guys don't want a female avatar are some fucking smooth-brained windowlickers that likely dream of getting pegged by a catgirl.

• 2Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My best friend and I are going to play LA, but neither of us know shit about this game apart from watching a few videos trying to decide which class to play. Already, the art direction has me feeling like I need to take a shower. It's an incel's dreamworld.

I settled on playing one of the two Assassin classes (not sure which, help?). However, I'm genuinely not happy that there is no male option and you faggots that think it's sexist that guys don't want a female avatar are some fucking smooth-brained windowlickers that likely dream of getting pegged by a catgirl.
At some point in the future there will be a male Assassin class, this is guaranteed. Next gender swap will be a female Zerker, I think.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So which martial artist should I go? I keep hearing everyone say striker but soulfist looks like it's the coolest.
Hard to say. Easiest answer is to just play Soulfist if you like how it looks and plays. I liked Striker a lot, but it really shines if you can get back attacks... which with my boomer hand-eye coordination wasn't the best solution, so I've went with Sorc and Pally.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
After spending the day watching Lost Ark content, I am really all over the place on the starting character. I normally alt out and nice to have a game that encourages that but this, wow. Normally I start with tanks but I thinking of doing something different here; I was thinking Berserker at first but now realize there will be 1.2 million of them to start, so now I more like Striker or Artillerist. Seems like there will be plenty of opportunities to try lots of things out.
Same here. I skipped around this super long video with Stoopzz and Saintone, and even with them being two people who are super hardcore into the game, it seems like every single class they were like, "eh, I didn't have that much fun on this class." It was kind of bizarre.

So I just waffle back and forth on what to play. Leaning towards Deathblade (sounds like negatives being they have long CD's and lots of animation lock), Scrapper ("boring to play"), Berserker (long CD's, gonna be a million of them), or Bard (shit to level up).

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zindan Zindan Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a good video that showcases the sounds of each class? I know some folks are in to their character's combat sounding like they're constantly trying to keep a tentacle monster from raping them, but I can do without it.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zindan Zindan Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a good video that showcases the sounds of each class? I know some folks are in to their character's combat sounding like they're constantly trying to keep a tentacle monster from raping them, but I can do without it.
Hm, you get to adjust the voices of characters during creation, all the female voices are very female. The mage classes all have a unique language during casting of spells. You could probably find some purely gameplay vids that will let you hear them.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would think that this will only apply to where you claim the items.

I'm not sure based on the reply they gave -

"the pack will be delivered when you create a character on a server, so please be mindful of this"

Sounds like it's sent to your mail once you create your first character, not claimed.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Leveling via MSQ is the biggest "failure" of Lost Ark given the quality of combat. Its like watching a football game, where you have maybe 5 seconds of gameplay followed by 5 minutes of commentary, commercials, etc. Since I put together a set of 4 main skills on my RU Sorc, I just want to blow shit up, but its rare to get the chance to do so.
Fully agree and have always said the combat is for me the best part of the game and extremely satisfying - but the way they decided to guide you to 50 does a horrible job of allowing you to experience the best part of the game. Thankfully we'll only have to slog through it a few times.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Soulfist is the coolest, but it's tougher than say scrapper or battlemaster. Striker is the toughest to play imo but is really good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Fully agree and have always said the combat is for me the best part of the game and extremely satisfying - but the way they decided to guide you to 50 does a horrible job of allowing you to experience the best part of the game. Thankfully we'll only have to slog through it a few times.
Yeah I have to agree on this too. Thankfully for transfer knowledge but the only bad part is having a level 50 and no clue what skills or combos to use at first. I'm sure it's fairly easy to learn cause you only use only certain amount of skills.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also they said there would be ingame power passes at launch. Probably event only, from the login rewards or something like this. Not too much difference between knowledge transfer and power passes, but power passes don't cost gold(which is pretty big), and might take you further(current assumption is the challenge log thing you get at launch will have for example "Reach 1302 item level and get a power pass to 1302" so you'd be able to boost another class straight all the way, but that's just assumptions and might just be way worse).