Lost luggage

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
When returning to the United States last week we checked our luggage through customs in Chicago, watched them put it on the conveyor. We land at our final destination and 1 of our 9 pieces of luggage doesn't make it. We've filed a report, been pestering them every day. Getting told the issue has been escalated to the highest level now or some such nonsense. Anybody familiar with the process or been through this? We had over 3 grand worth of stuff in that bin, some of which was irreplaceable.

I'm guessing at this point either they find us our shit or cut me a check but until then I'm wondering if anybody knows of anything else I can do.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Had something similar happen coming back from Mexico with a surfboard bag. Grabbed it in Phoenix and went through customs, never saw it again. Airline ended up cutting me a check for the full value of everything inside, took a few weeks if i remember correctly before they'd declare it officially lost.

Cybsled

Ya, not much you can do except wait and hope they find it or pay you for the replacement. If it's been a week, that is troubling. Usually they are able to almost immediately figure out what happened if it was just misrouted or missed a connection. Rule of thumb for flying is if you are bringing anything really valuable and it's small, put it in carry-on.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Unfortunately we were repatriating and not everything valuable could fit in carry on. 8(

Thanks guys.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Similar note. I buy new vehicles for my company every so often. I bought and registered one a month and a half ago, got the plate and the tags which were to be mailed off to the East Coast. I sent it FedEx and at some routing station in PA the package was lost. We inquired about it after it was a week late and they said they would start an investigation. After another 2 weeks they said, it probably got chewed up in once of their conveyor and was a total loss.

I said, "... and?" They said, "and what? It's lost. Better luck next time."

Luckily, getting new plates and registration tags wasn't the hassle I assumed it would be. The next time, I shipped UPS instead. But, I received zero compensation for the loss of the package, the contents, or the time involved. They frankly didn't give a shit.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you can't get reimbursed from the Airline you can always go through your home insurance carrier. Most states allow 10% of your Personal property amount to cover property not at the location.

Check with your credit card company as well for any coverage for those lost items if you booked using one that offers it.

Hope you get your stuff back.