Lost

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Lost

Genre: Action & Adventure, Drama, Mystery

First aired: 2004-09-22

Creator: J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Jeffrey Lieber

Cast: Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Josh Holloway, Naveen Andrews, Terry O'Quinn, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Michael Emerson, Jorge Garcia, Ken Leung, Emilie de Ravin, Henry Ian Cusick, Fionnula Flanagan, Nestor Carbonell, Jeff Fahey

Overview: Stripped of everything, the survivors of a horrific plane crash must work together to stay alive. But the island holds many secrets.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
So hodj, just to be clear, even though this continues the derail, I ask that because you're not correct and I couldn't tell if you were doing it on purpose. The "purgatory" or whatever you want to call it was just an excuse for the writers to do the side flashes in the last season after already doing back and forward timelines previously. In that last episode Christian tells Jack that they all created this in between world because of how important the events on the island were.

Everything that happens on the island, through all the seasons, actually happens and then their purgatory world starts whenever they all die (or however deep you want to take this discussion into the timing of it) at which point they all have their awakening and move on to heaven or whatever.

It was really stupid and I'm not defending it whatsoever, but that is what happened. The whole show didn't take place in purgatory, just those flash scenes in the last season.
Sorry for contributing to the GoT thread derail.

So, this is how the series ends. It's pretty dumb and I'm not defending it, but I don't really see how there is any room for other interpretations.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Juliet blew up the bomb. Everything after that was a bad dream and should never be talked about. NEVER!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What a terrible last season this show had. Thanks for reminding me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You know what the worst thing ever is? It's watching the series twice

I started watching this before I met my wife. When season 5 was starting she wanted to start watching too, but had to start from the beginning. This show had some retarded amount of episodes per season so I had to sit through seasons 1-4 TWICE. FUCK.

The show got more and more retarded every episode after season 1. The finale just destroyed everything. No one talks about this show without saying how shitty it turned out. Invested so much time in it. Yes, I'm still bitter.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Only trolls and absolute morons think differently Slaythe. Or perhaps people who never actually watched the show and just heard about it afterwards.

My faith in humanity hinges on the belief that most are just trolling.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Juliet blew up the bomb. Everything after that was a bad dream and should never be talked about. NEVER!
For all of its flaws, I still think Lost was a fun ride. But I too liked to pretend the last season never happened.

Juliet set off the bomb, fade to white..The End

spronk

FPS noob
it was indeed a fun ride, watching the show live was amazing just to talk about all the crazy weird shit you just saw. 90% of which ended up being total junk and nonsense with no real preplanning by the writers. FUCK DAMON LINDELOF

still the pilot, that one episode covering Desmond and Penny reuniting, the one where you realize Jack and Kate are off the island and its not a flashback, and the one time the post Lost twirl was a fade to white instead of black (after Juliet blew up the bomb) were all goddamn amazing TV

its also fucked up realizing the last moments you see of the real John Locke are him getting murdered, like holy shit his life was soooooooo fucked up

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
seasons 1-5 were incredible, granted there were some terrible episodes along the way, the show kept me guessing and at the time i thought there were answers. then later when we find out they were just spinning bullshit to make the island look mysterious and had no explanation for most of what they were doing. that aside i have no regrets for the first 5 seasons. season 5 even ended on a plausibly good enough way that if the series ended there it would be satisfying.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The final season ruined the entire series for me. I definitely enjoyed the show while it was airing live and discussing all the mysteries. However, the complete shift from what seemed like scientific mysteries to magical heaven stupidity ruined everything that preceded it. The first 5 seasons were entertaining to me, because I thought it was going somewhere with all the cool time travel, hatches, buttons, etc. It wasn't and that sucked.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
When I think back on it, I dont love the way they ended but they really hit me in the feels.

When Kate remembers, and tries to help jack remember, shes in tears telling him shes missed him so much. Didn't seem like much. But then in the end look back.

Jack dies on that island. She flies away. She lives what could have been a long life after that, always knowing he died on the island that day and knowing she lost the love of her life. Then she finally dies, and they reunite in the afterlife. There is something that hits my heart strings about that. And the dog...fucking dogs doing anything hits me.

Something about Jack coming to realize he died on that island, and never saw his son again, never saw his friends and Kate, but having his dad there to guide him was nice.

Rime

<Donor>
My favorite is the writers repeatedly stating 'It is not purgatory, guys'. When people were fan-crafting what the island was/what was happening.

Then the end? 'LOL! It is purgatory! We were just kidding!'

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Again, the island wasn't purgatory, just the lame side flashes in the last season. Still dumb though.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the LOST experience was really watching the show live and having the crazy theories about what everything was.

If someone were to watch it now, it probably wouldn't have the same effect.

It's been so long since I watched it that I don't remember any of the shit you all are talking about though. For some reason I thought it turned out the entire thing was purgatory? Wasn't that why the man in black (Satan) turned out to be the smoke monster?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
whatever technical reason they gave for the island not being purgatory doesnt change the fact that everyone who wasnt huffing paint and writing this show (lindeloff) thinks the island is purgatory. donkey wheel and golden river be damned

spronk

FPS noob
the island wasn't purgatory, it was just a weird magical place where the light had magical powers that mutated to be whatever the writers wanted it to be - bring back ghosts, cause planes to crash, teleport the island when needed, let polar bears live on it, give magic powers to WAAAAAAALT until he became too old and then take them away, etc.

the light was protected/watched over by a "guardian", at first the mother of the two boys (some guardian) and then jacob became the guardian after he murdered his brother which released the "anti-light" which took the form of his dead brother but could become anyone else until it got locked into locke's form for reasons. You could be deep and say the light was jacob's good side and the darkness was his bad side but thats 2 deep 4 me. Jacob couldn't die at smokey's hand but anyone else could kill him, and smokey was trapped on the island until someone killed Jacob.

The flash sideways was completely different, basically once anyone dies they enter a shared MMO where everyone gets reset to level 1 and they have to level up to 60, level their guild up to 25, and then they get to journey together with their guild mates to the next MMO. The MMO is outside of time so it doesn't matter if person 1 dies in 2001 and person 2 dies in 2075, they both enter the MMO together in a time that makes sense to both of them. Also relationships are Island-centric in the MMO, so for example Sayid's true love who he chased after for 20 years is completely disregarded for a white chick he only knew for 3 weeks.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The show ended up being trash and the ending was trash. I gave it really no thought about it other than thinking "Well that was a waste of my time."

TV show information provided by The Movie Database