Low Tech Jobs and Cross Country Moves

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So my brother is wanting to get out of California to avoid the cost of living. He works for UCSD as facilities maintenance and makes a good $80k doing that.

From all the cost of living calculators he needs to make around $50k here.

How does one even go about finding jobs like that? I know it seems like an odd question but I work in an entirely different industry.

Are there headhunters for construction jobs and other low tech stuff?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Headhunter doubtful.
Go to indeed.com and type in facilities maintenance and the location where he'd like to live and apply.

@Amod Please merge this with the jobs thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure if non-skilled laborers are offered relo packages. Though I don't really know if facilities maint is considered non-skilled or not. I'd imagine he'd just go the job hunting route like anyone else. There are probably just fewer opportunities for that profession than there are for something like finance or IT.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So my brother is wanting to get out of California to avoid the cost of living. He works for UCSD as facilities maintenance and makes a good $80k doing that.

From all the cost of living calculators he needs to make around $50k here.

How does one even go about finding jobs like that? I know it seems like an odd question but I work in an entirely different industry.

Are there headhunters for construction jobs and other low tech stuff?
That is very good money. Is he sure is worth the massive paycut he will take?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
That is very good money. Is he sure is worth the massive paycut he will take?
Jesus, you never cease to amaze.

Indeed.com and maybe keep an eye out for GS positons for him since there is ways some sort of facilities manager/supervisors at base/location.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Jesus, you never cease to amaze.

Indeed.com and maybe keep an eye out for GS positons for him since there is ways some sort of facilities manager/supervisors at base/location.
Yeah I am perusing USAJobs for him and the rest of the sites I know.

T Tenks yeah he knows he is paying for the move, they are between houses right now and the housing market in San Diego sucks and house/land out here is so much cheaper.

P Picasso3 thanks, Indeed is actually giving me some useful information.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I don't know what his exact job description, but even with CoL factored in, it seemed a very good salary for a building handyman, which is what I am assuming facilities maintenance is.
I thought the same thing but I ran the numbers in a calculator and it was pretty much spot on to what a_skeleton_03's number was. guess I'm just oblivious to how retarded SoCal COL is.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My research when moving out to Orange County said I needed about 30% more salary to factor in COL difference between Ohio. That seems about right. The only difference is housing. Literally it is 2.0-2.5x more expensive for housing. But in terms of food and resturaunts and things everything feels about 15-20% more. From what I understand San Diego is even more expensive than Orange County.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
this is the grown up forum where we operate on a strictly no trolling basis. thank you for your consideration.
Fuck off. Not my fault the legumer doesn't understand the concept of varying costs of goods, housing and other commodities and services across geographic regions in the US

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Fuck off. Not my fault the legumer doesn't understand the concept of varying costs of goods, housing and other commodities and services across geographic regions in the US

The "salary" for picking oranges is the same everywhere =(
sad me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Tell him to keep an eye on craigslist and newspaper classifieds. I know when I moved to Portland, I just went into auto shops ad shot the shit with the owners and asked around about who was hiring/what their reputation was and had a job within a month of moving here.

Might be a little different with building maintenance but most trades are kind of word of mouth.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My wife's brother is in facilities maintenance at a community college in NC and is making right at that figure with state benefits.