Low Tech Jobs and Cross Country Moves

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Does your brother have a particular part of the country to move to? Or just anywhere with a lower cost of living?

Indeed is a great place to start. Public school districts are usually pretty easy to go onto. Cannot state how good the pay would be. Colleges with bigger campuses seem to come with a bit more pay. Hospitals are worth looking at. I think for the most part, they don't necessarily hire directly for non medical positions. Usually they go thru some national companies. I think Sodexo, Parallon Shared Services, HHA Shared Services, ABM comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

If he's open to changing industries, Halliburton/Schlumberger are hiring heavily in Oklahoma and nearby states. Would be good pay, although extremely volatile. Could be laid off any day. But if he's wanting to relocate and just get started, may be worth looking into.

You can go thru a staffing company. Express Employment is one that I know of that does anything from small one time jobs to employers that are doing large hiring. Usually it's in a temp with decent potential to regular employment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My wife's brother is in facilities maintenance at a community college in NC and is making right at that figure with state benefits.
Okay that is what he is looking at because he works for the state school in San Diego.

Does your brother have a particular part of the country to move to? Or just anywhere with a lower cost of living?

Indeed is a great place to start. Public school districts are usually pretty easy to go onto. Cannot state how good the pay would be. Colleges with bigger campuses seem to come with a bit more pay. Hospitals are worth looking at. I think for the most part, they don't necessarily hire directly for non medical positions. Usually they go thru some national companies. I think Sodexo, Parallon Shared Services, HHA Shared Services, ABM comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

If he's open to changing industries, Halliburton/Schlumberger are hiring heavily in Oklahoma and nearby states. Would be good pay, although extremely volatile. Could be laid off any day. But if he's wanting to relocate and just get started, may be worth looking into.

You can go thru a staffing company. Express Employment is one that I know of that does anything from small one time jobs to employers that are doing large hiring. Usually it's in a temp with decent potential to regular employment.

He is looking where I am because I am here which is Raleigh NC area. He works for the state school / hospital now so looking at the ones here but I didn't know where else to send him to look for places.