Lucifer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Terial

Trakanon Raider
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Lucifer

Genre: Crime, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2016-01-25

Creator: Tom Kapinos

Cast: Aimee Garcia, Tom Ellis, Lauren German, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Rachael Harris, Scarlett Estevez, D.B. Woodside, Tricia Helfer, Kevin Alejandro, Tom Welling

Overview: Bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, Lucifer Morningstar abandoned his throne and retired to Los Angeles, where he has teamed up with LAPD detective Chloe Decker to take down criminals. But the longer he's away from the underworld, the greater the threat that the worst of humanity could escape.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 63732[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Lucifer[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Crime[/GENRE], [GENRE]Sci-Fi & Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2016-01-25[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Lucifer, the charming, charismatic and handsome-as-hell original fallen angel, who after becoming bored and unhappy in Hell, takes refuge in Los Angeles, where he uses his gift of persuasion to punish bad guys. But the longer he's away from the underworld, the greater the threat that the worst of humanity could escape.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Fox 2016 show, does not look horrible

Nuttin_sl

shitlord
Kinda odd, NBC axes Contantine and Fox brings this similar looking series to life, I really hope that this series succeed tbh.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it is at least loosely, and I mean VERY loosely, related to the Lucifer comic series? Similar principle... minus the buddy cop shit. I'll watch it.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like it has potential. Will be interesting to see how the "Rules" play out.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Looks like they are focusing primarily on the nightclub part of Lucifer, at least to start with.

And Nuttin both Constantine and Lucifer were Vertigo titles. I don't recall any crossovers, but they were both part of the magical side of the DC universe. I would kick a puppy if they brought Death in for an episode or two.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if I like the "mortal" angle they're playing. Lucifer in the comic was uncontested by the Angels for a long time because he was literally the second most powerful being in all of Creation. As Michael was indisposed and dumb as a post anyway. So he just did what he wanted.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So it is at least loosely, and I mean VERY loosely, related to the Lucifer comic series? Similar principle... minus the buddy cop shit. I'll watch it.
Shares the title. thats it. Honestly, as dumb as I think this looks, the trailer did make me feel better because of that. This is not Lucifer. Its so different, that I don't even know why they bothered with the rights, etc.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It wasn't on my list of things to watch, that trailer did it's job of at least making me curious enough to check it out and see what happens.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I don't know if I like the "mortal" angle they're playing. Lucifer in the comic was uncontested by the Angels for a long time because he was literally the second most powerful being in all of Creation. As Michael was indisposed and dumb as a post anyway. So he just did what he wanted.
Well, in the comic noone fucked with him because he quit without giving up any of his power. The trailer didn't really touch on any of that, so we'll have to wait a few months for more details. So far 1 major difference and 1 minor. Major is the cop buddy, which could go either way. Minor is they are explicit about him drawing peoples' true natures/desires out. That happened in the comic books, but was never explicitly explained. The same effect happened around Morpheus and the rest of the Endless as well, though that was more them fucking up reality in their general vicinity due to being so powerful.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I can see this being nothing but a comedy buddy cop show and that makes me very sad.

I really liked that comic.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The comic as written isn't even filmable because of all the supernatural jaunts, never mind Mazikeen. I just don't expect very much from this, which is too bad because the concept is great. Also, if it tanks, that's one more strike against any potential Sandman series.

I really, really badly want HBO to pick up Sandman as an anthology series like True Detective where the stories are picked up for a season with characters watching the Endless come and go out of their lives at different times.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Sandman would have the same problems Lucifer does with a TV show.

Caliane is spot on though, why bother with the rights when you're just making it a police procedural show like everything else on TV.

Pretty sure Lucifer is in the public domain at this point.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I think the reason you're seeing so many of these comic based shows "wear a skin" of another type of show (like a police procedural) is that each one is a specific calculated risk. They know they will have a built in audience of the comic's fans, but they also know they need to bring it non-comic fans if the show is going to survive.

In order to bring in non-comic fans they need to give those people something to mentally grasp onto in the show until they acclimatize to the comic book/superhero elements.

The new Supergirl show looks to be doing this wearing the "little girl in the big city" show skin...

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
sure. things that work in comics, won't necessarily work for TV. Same with movies. Movies with 2 hour formats, Comics with long monthly runs, or GN. and TV shows with their seasons.

The supergirl changes most a little sense though at least. And very clearly has many elements of the character and figures around her.
Supergirl is inherently a fish out of water story. While Clark was a baby and grew up in Kansas. Supergirl was sent to Earth at 15. she GREW UP on Krypton/Argo City. (Shes actually older then Superman chronologically. )
now, normally, this is written as, shes Alien, and knows little of human culture. Unlike Superman who is human first, and alien second. Which is one of those things, that Man of Steel totally fucks up, and why its wrong to suggest Superman is Kal-El, and can't understand humanity. no, thats Supergirl. SHE is one that struggles with that.
In this new TV show, they seemed to have blended Kara, with Linda Danvers a bit though. The third Supergirl.

Linda Danvers was a brown haired country girl... who almost killed in comic book shenanigans , then bonded with the "Matrix Supergirl" (a shapeshifting clone made by alt Earth Alexander Luthor).
Took on the identity of Supergirl.

Kara has actually been dead for most of her career.

So the smalltime girl who gets powers and trys to live up to the inspiration of her "cousin", is Linda Danvers supergirl.

So while it may blend bits of each Supergirl... its not a stretch at all.

Devlin

Golden Squire
You're both right, the Supergirl show completely makes more sense in that respect that she's a young girl in a strange new environment.

Lucifer in a buddy cop environment makes no sense and although I understand where Haus is coming from it's lazy as shit and everything will suffer for it. The buddy cop show is so fucking tired at this point, Forever did the exact same thing and ended up getting canned because of it's mediocrity.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just can't get my head around the idea that (even if you're not a reader of the comic) Lucifer, the Lord of fucking Hell, gives a shit about solving a god damn murder case. For fuck's sake, even that angel was all, "Hey dude, all those millions of damned souls you've been punishing for eternity are going to escape if you don't do your job."

But Lucifer is more concerned with finding out who killed his bimbo....

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
For Lucifer it's more that he got shot than whoever the arm candy was. You don't fuck with the Morningstar and walk away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Devlin

Golden Squire
The Lucifer in the comic's power level is one step below god's. He's the second most powerful being in the DC universe.

The whole premise of him solving crimes is absurd.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database