Lucy with Scarlett Johannson (wholly crap)

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I don't think Akira and this movie belong in the same sentence.
It's been a looong time since i've seen Akira, where did he get his abilities from and why ( i honestly don't remember, i have the DVD, may have to rewatch).

Perhaps you think they should not be mentioned in the same sentence because it was a fairly new awesome concept back when Akira was released (then again i don't know your age and Akira was released in 1988 (i was in High school at the time))

so why is it that they can't be in the same sentence? Person gets powers, grows in power over time, goes on rampage. Just cause you hold a special place in your heart for a movie that is now common place fantasy does not make it untouchable.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
"This drug allows me to use 280% of my brain." "What happens when she reaches 1000%!?"

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Looked cool until she gained super powers. Would be more interesting to see a movie where a smugglers drug bust inside em.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been a looong time since i've seen Akira, where did he get his abilities from and why ( i honestly don't remember, i have the DVD, may have to rewatch).

Perhaps you think they should not be mentioned in the same sentence because it was a fairly new awesome concept back when Akira was released (then again i don't know your age and Akira was released in 1988 (i was in High school at the time))

so why is it that they can't be in the same sentence? Person gets powers, grows in power over time, goes on rampage. Just cause you hold a special place in your heart for a movie that is now common place fantasy does not make it untouchable.
It's not about being untouchable at all and it certainly doesn't hold any special place in my heart. My remembering of Akira was that Tetsuo's powers had nothing to do with ingesting drugs but you can prove me wrong, and that the telekinesis connection between this movie and Akira is a weak attempt to claim they are in any way similar.

and I was 4 in 1988.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looked cool until she gained super powers. Would be more interesting to see a movie where a smugglers drug bust inside em.
Well seeing as how that typically results in a pretty fast death for the mule, it wouldn't be much of a movie.

spronk

FPS noob
shoulda given boogie the drug, by the end of the movie he coulda transformed himself into scarjo

maxresdefault.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nerd rage in the movie forums on RR crack me up. This is a summer popcorn flick. This isn't supposed to some pinnacle of science fiction.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Nerd rage in the movie forums on RR crack me up. This is a summer popcorn flick. This isn't supposed to some pinnacle of science fiction.
I think the issue for some is that 90%+ of the entertainment our culture produces is simply moronic crap.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
The issue is with internal consistency. This movie doesn't have it. It's supposed to take place in the real world, vs the marvel movies for instance, which take place in their own reality, not ours. In the real world, the 10% brain thing is bullshit, no matter how much of your brain you use it doesn't give you telekenesis, and drugs don't work that way. If they'd just not mention the specifics, as Caliane mentioned, I'd happily turn my brain off and watch shit fly around the screen as ScarJo waves her hands and boobs around.

The other side of it is tone. They're probably trying to go for a more "serious, dark and gritty" tone by mentioning all the science-ish stuff. "Look how dark and grimly serious our movie is as people are impossibly flung around the screen! Scarlet's scowl here proves it! And it's not fun or funny AT ALL! This one can't miss, guys."

Basically it's just hollywood studios showing again that they don't know what they're doing. They seem to have no idea why some movies work and others don't. I won't rage at this, however, I'll just roll my eyes, pirate that shit later, and then actually go to the theater to see the good movies.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's a large amount of assumptions based off a trailer. And who's to say that this movie isn't also ground in another reality just like the Marvel movies? Who are you to make that distinction? I'm not defending the movie necessarily, I just get tired of things getting condemned based off of such limited information.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
akira was a govt experiment, so they pumped him full of everything i guess, tetsuo just happened to be born with the same power years later.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
That's a large amount of assumptions based off a trailer. And who's to say that this movie isn't also ground in another reality just like the Marvel movies? Who are you to make that distinction? I'm not defending the movie necessarily, I just get tired of things getting condemned based off of such limited information.
Who am I? Just a guy with $20 bucks in my pocket making a decision whether or not to go to the theater and see a movie based on a trailer. AKA, the Audience.

You could have a point in that the trailer just sucks, and the movie will be good. That's rare though. Usually it's Good Trailer/Good Movie, Good Trailer/Bad Movie, Bad Trailer/Bad Movie.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was talking more about the distinction that the Marvel universe is somehow special and unique so it doesn't need to conform to our laws. Why do super hero movies get special treatment? If this movie was a comic book first, would that make it OK?