M. A. R. S. Mars, bitches! Orion's first flight a success.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So NASA successfully put its new crew capsule through a test flight this morning. All systems worked as intended and it splashed down on schedule and on target. Pretty impressive.

NASA's Orion lands with 'bullseye' splashdown

This is the first step in missions to an asteroid and Mars. We have a long way to go, but the next era in space exploration starts with a big success. Think we'll continue down the path, or do you think our government will find a way to fuck it up?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So NASA successfully put its new crew capsule through a test flight this morning. All systems worked as intended and it splashed down on schedule and on target. Pretty impressive.

NASA's Orion lands with 'bullseye' splashdown

This is the first step in missions to an asteroid and Mars. We have a long way to go, but the next era in space exploration starts with a big success. Think we'll continue down the path, or do you think our government will find a way to fuck it up?
They'll probably spend all the money to develop it and then cancel it before it bears the fruit it was designed for, worst of both worlds.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Think we'll continue down the path, or do you think our government will find a way to fuck it up?
boehner-mcconnell.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with nasa is to do any of their major goals requires a long term planning of decades and the way they get funded changes every few years with totally new mandates every 4-8 years. There is no way to make that actually work in any sane fashion unfortunately.

iannis

Musty Nester
8.2g sounds like a whole lot, but wiki says that jet pilots can handle up to 9.

Apparently a dude in 1954 did 25g, but it wrecked his eyeballs for the rest of his life.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
8.2g sounds like a whole lot, but wiki says that jet pilots can handle up to 9.

Apparently a dude in 1954 did 25g, but it wrecked his eyeballs for the rest of his life.
8g is a lot. Without a specialized pressure suit that helps push blood back up out of your legs, 8g is blackout territory.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well yeah. But they'd have that.

I just read 8.2g and I was thinking, "Would their hearts be able to handle sustained compression like that?" And they answer is "yes, perfectly safe".

I also read the line about "And the onboard computers were not adversely effected by the high radiation in space" and I'm thinking, "Well. That's nice... ... ... ...."

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well yeah. But they'd have that.

I just read 8.2g and I was thinking, "Would their hearts be able to handle sustained compression like that?" And they answer is "yes, perfectly safe".

I also read the line about "And the onboard computers were not adversely effected by the high radiation in space" and I'm thinking, "Well. That's nice... ... ... ...."
Ha! Yeah, the atmosphere shields us from a lot of cosmic background radiation. In space flight, electronics have to be radiation hardened, and computers are ganged together in odd number clusters (typically 3). For important decisions, the majority result is used, which helps avoid a bit error due to radiation.

And yes, they would have the suit. Just like pilots of current gen fighters, like the F-22. Except hopefully the NASA suits will actually supply oxygen, unlike the F-22 suits (in some cases).

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Someone give me the cliff's notes. What's so revolutionary about the orion? Or is it cool just because we actually have a replacement for the shuttle?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Someone give me the cliff's notes. What's so revolutionary about the orion? Or is it cool just because we actually have a replacement for the shuttle?
The latter. It's good to see we are making an effort in space exploration again. With the current timelines, it will still be years before we do something revolutionary.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
It is not a replacement for the shuttle. It is just a capsule (like the apollo reentry capsule, but more modern).

Checking the Wikipedia article it says that the next test flight will be in 2018 and manned flight as early as 2021.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Still a long way to go before anything important comes out of it, including a lot of budget revaluations which could put it in limbo for who knows how long.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I haven't kept up with it, maybe that is part of the problem, that people don't keep up with this stuff.

But it sounded from the shit I heard on tv like this was intended to be the ship astronauts travel to the moon/Mars and back in. Minus whatever lander they cook up, of course. That just seems silly to me. There must be some other living wuarters module or something, right? Thing is tiny.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't kept up with it, maybe that is part of the problem, that people don't keep up with this stuff.

But it sounded from the shit I heard on tv like this was intended to be the ship astronauts travel to the moon/Mars and back in. Minus whatever lander they cook up, of course. That just seems silly to me. There must be some other living wuarters module or something, right? Thing is tiny.
This would be the primary crew habitat module, but thats not to say there wouldn't be other parts of the eventual ship that flies to mars. The crew portion of the shuttle wasn't any bigger than this, though. The vast majority of the shuttle volume was the cargo bay.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Cool. Can't help but feel we've spent the last 40 years and the next 20 years in neutral though.