Mad Men

iannis

Musty Nester
Joan telling him off was super awesome. Don completely fucked her and only dumb luck got her unfucked. But even unfucked with chevy and the merger, she's still probably worse off than if she'd cashed out. For once Pete was right, "Oh don't act like you had a plan."

Don't forget all of the others (except Don) come from money. Don might as well come from money since he took the name Draper. That public offering meant something very very different to Joan. Look at the partners who were in the room. Bert wanted to cash out. Pete wanted to cash in. Joan just wanted cash.

We can assume that Roger wouldn't have really cared, and Don would have been against it.

Frankly a million dollars in one lump would mean that Joan wins at life.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What I didnt get was why Don telling the Jaguar Dealer guy to hit the bricks would cost them the whole account. We already saw in the earlier episode that hes jut the head of the Dealers. The Jaguar Corporate team was a different group. We saw the division when Fatty wanted Don to change the campaign. So why does he all of a sudden control the account?
We don't necessarily know if the dealer guy would have resulted in their losing the account because Don preemptively took his ball and went home. That's why Pete said Don "fired" Jaguar.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
When they said it was competing with the Mustang, I thought it was the Camaro --as that was the intention of the Camaro's design. But bleh, Camaro came out in 67, so I guess it is the Vega, lol, hopping from the English Jag to the American version.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
When they said it was competing with the Mustang, I thought it was the Camaro --as that was the intention of the Camaro's design. But bleh, Camaro came out in 67, so I guess it is the Vega, lol, hopping from the English Jag to the American version.
I think it is either the stingray corvette, second generation chevelle or the third generation nova. The vega came out in 1970

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Hope it is the Vega. it was a big deal that flopped. Would love to see the dynamic of the agency taking the blame for the failure, even though it was the Manufacturers fault.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
We don't necessarily know if the dealer guy would have resulted in their losing the account because Don preemptively took his ball and went home. That's why Pete said Don "fired" Jaguar.
I need to rewatch the scene. I was drinking so maybe I missed it.

Just seemed like Fatty wanted to bring in his own guy to run the campaign, which Don took to mean they were trying to get the info so they could take the campaign elsewhere.

Df~_sl

shitlord
When they are in the chevy office... they main blue car with the 1968 plate is the stingray corvette isnt it?

When they go over the documents with creative in Don's office they mention XP-887 which is the Chevy Vega according to Wikipedia.

As for Don and Fatty...

First time I saw it, I felt Don over reacted. Second time watching it, I thought he was getting ready to shift to his own guy anyway. This idea gets repeated in the elevator, when the heart transplant guy loses his shot to some doctor in Houston AND when they thought Chevy invited two of the "little guys" just to take their idea to the big firms...

Also... not entirely sure how I missed it during the first watch, but they said they landed chevy at the end of the episode. I remembered the companies merging but not them landing Chevy... weird...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah the Jaguar guy definitely was unhappy with what Don did before and this whole "guy who does flyers for his lots" was just a thinly veiled attempt to move them out gradually. Don was right to do what he did, assuming the goal was the long-term health of the agency. Pete and Joan were more pissed about the buyout offer. Which it is funny that Pete ended up fucking up well beyond what Don could have done.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ted loves memes.

iUa9zv1.gif

iUa9zv1.gif

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
just want to say that I found this show last night and it is the one of the best TV show atm... Shows gender roles quite spectacularly...not biased for female or male...incredible... Carry on....

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Empty set of clothes on the bed as Don was leaving, more death symbolism. Also, there is a tea set on the bed, and the room is 503---the episode 503 was Tea Leaves. It's probably a stretch, but Tea Leaves was about Betty's cancer, and her wondering how the kids would react to her death, and in this episode Joan had the same thought. Don't know if there is any link there, but I think it just adds to the whole notion that "Don" as he exists for everyone else, is dying. (Which doesn't mean he will literally die--but he seems to be disillusioned with his life and shrinking away from those around him--his kids, Betty, Megan and now his mistress)

Dont be mad because you are wrong. Its ok. We can all move on from here. No one cares about France and never will.
Hey, just wanted to drop in and note, combined with last week, France has gotten two scenes so far and one of them was through Megan's parents (As I said). Now that you understand you were wrong, we can move on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How long before we get a scene of Don in a gimp suit and a ball gag getting pegged by Joan?

Old whatshisface from Accounts really saved his own ass. I think he was genuinely concerned for Joan, I don't think he was sucking up there.It seems there is some symbolism not only in the placement of Don and Ted's offices but also in Peggy and Joan's. And in the fact that Don's secretary, Dawn, was nowhere to be seen this episode.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Can someone remind me who the dude Roger re-fired was?

Don's little control show with the mistress was weird. I don't really get the timing of his freak out. They just landed Chevy, and he was weird from the beginning of the episode. I get that he's threatened by Ted because Ted's a good human being, Peggy rejectd Don for Ted, etc. But it just seems out of place. Everything is going well. He is made to feel important at home, lands a major success for his company, is smitten with his mistress, and he's acting like a total weirdo all episode.