Mad Men

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So far Bob has been seen as just a generally good, nice person. But everyone thinks he's creepy.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That is part of the thing he is overly nice. I don't know if they are truly going for the Sharon Tate / Charles Manson angle with Megan and Bob or not but don't forget Manson was always regarded as a very well-to-do, handsome, charismatic fellow. Then you died.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Mad Men has always been good about letting history exist on the perimeter of the show's world. They'll reference is and show the impact, but I can't think of any instance where a significant moment in history directly affected someone. That would just be too sensationalistic for the show.
Well there was the American Airlines Flight 1 crash where Pete's dad died. It probably doesn't seem all that significant now even though at the time it was the worst single plane crash in US history.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well there was the American Airlines Flight 1 crash where Pete's dad died. It probably doesn't seem all that significant now even though at the time it was the worst single plane crash in US history.
Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that one, though I'd argue it still existed on the periphery as Pete's dad wasn't a major character, and it wasn't really a major plot. I really can't see there being any way they could have the Manson Family kill Megan off and not have that be a significant part of the show for several episodes. I suppose it's possible, but it's just so out of place for what I've come to expect from them.

I'm still torn on the theory that she'll die in some other way though. After this past week's episode, the trajectory of the season looks to be aiming to have Don learning to appreciate Megan again and be a good husband. Between Sylvia and Betty, I think he's reached a point where he's accepting reality rather than the ideal. That would make it the perfect time to kill her off since it'd have the biggest impact on Don and perhaps be big enough of a catalyst to start having him push away from the Don Draper role. However, at the same time, considering this season's theme of duality, I sort of suspect that any death that occurs is going to be figurative.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that one, though I'd argue it still existed on the periphery as Pete's dad wasn't a major character, and it wasn't really a major plot. I really can't see there being any way they could have the Manson Family kill Megan off and not have that be a significant part of the show for several episodes. I suppose it's possible, but it's just so out of place for what I've come to expect from them.

I'm still torn on the theory that she'll die in some other way though. After this past week's episode, the trajectory of the season looks to be aiming to have Don learning to appreciate Megan again and be a good husband. Between Sylvia and Betty, I think he's reached a point where he's accepting reality rather than the ideal. That would make it the perfect time to kill her off since it'd have the biggest impact on Don and perhaps be big enough of a catalyst to start having him push away from the Don Draper role. However, at the same time, considering this season's theme of duality, I sort of suspect that any death that occurs is going to be figurative.
I don't think anyone is claming Manson and family are going to catch a flight to NYC, but rather a similar story unfold with the murder of megan

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It just seems odd to have Megan dress up like Tate, tweet that it isn't a coincidence and have it amount to nothing. I guess it could symbolize she will be a rising star actress but the ominous sirens, the dark dialog and the violence last episode lends me to think someone is getting killed in the near future.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that one, though I'd argue it still existed on the periphery as Pete's dad wasn't a major character, and it wasn't really a major plot.
Well the fallout went beyond the death of Pete's father. The crash caused American to shop around for another agency. Duck pushed hard for dumping Mohawk in order to court American, which was the beginning of the ill will between he and Don. Even this season, Pete is having to deal with his mom because his father is no longer around.

iannis

Musty Nester
She gave it up to the Catholics for adoption.
There was even a line an episode or two back where Peggy and Joan are in the same office again. And Peggy says, "So how's your little boy?" and Joan says, "Fine. How's yours?" And then it's awkward for a split second until peggy says, "Oh, you know, he's still writing for the newspaper".

So we're just pretending that Peggy's baby didn't happen.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think anyone else knows, they all think she got fat and went crazy for a while or something. Joan is pretty smart so she may have figured it out, but she certainly didn't mean her kid when she made that statement.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. That's really the basis for Don and Peggy being so tight. It doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise, he's usually a dick to her and she's a little bit afraid of him. But when he figured out what happened he showed up and told her, "This isn't the end of your dreams. You come back to work and you pretend like nothing happened." And I -think- she was still just a secretary at that point, albeit his secretary, so it wasn't a self-serving thing for him to do. He was genuinely decent to her when she needed him to be.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, he managed to find out where she was through her mother I think. I meant anyone other than him.

she had already transitioned to copy at that time, she wasn't his secretary. But he was still being genuine with her, he didn't need her.

Intox_sl

shitlord
I totally forgot about her kid. I figured Joan was talking about her boyfriend at the time since she basically supported that douche.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah. That's really the basis for Don and Peggy being so tight. It doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise, he's usually a dick to her and she's a little bit afraid of him. But when he figured out what happened he showed up and told her, "This isn't the end of your dreams. You come back to work and you pretend like nothing happened." And I -think- she was still just a secretary at that point, albeit his secretary, so it wasn't a self-serving thing for him to do. He was genuinely decent to her when she needed him to be.
I think Don has respected her since he realized she wasn't just working at Sterling Cooper to find a husband, but that she was someone with ambition and talent. That was a lot of the reason he visited her in the hospital. He knew she had potential and didn't want to see that squandered over a single mistake. Sure, he's a dick to her. He's a dick to everyone, but he's also someone that pushes Peggy to be better, which is part of the reason he felt so betrayed when she decided to go work for the competition.

Yeah, he managed to find out where she was through her mother I think. I meant anyone other than him.

she had already transitioned to copy at that time, she wasn't his secretary. But he was still being genuine with her, he didn't need her.
She also eventually told Pete. That was back when he and Trudy were facing the possibility of not being able to have children.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
However, at the same time, considering this season's theme of duality, I sort of suspect that any death that occurs is going to be figurative.
I agree with this. Though with the focus on crime, and lawlessness, who knows--I actually found the break in scene really tense because I thought one of the kids was going to get hurt or killed.

However, if it is a "figurative" death--I think what will happen is Megan is going to reveal that she had an abortion, and not a miscarriage, so she could continue acting on the show. That will be full "death" of any notion Don has of her being a motherly figure in his life and it will be the end of the relationship. Who knows though. Though if Roger's relationship continues to be the road map--then the drug induced flashed of insight is the beginning of the end for Don to :p, and it's funny how it was about mother figures in his life.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Smoking a little weed will do Pete a lot of good. Very good episode tonight. Just wasn't a very good show to watch after that bomb of an episode Game of Thrones delivered.