Mad Men

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think Don being a more involved father is really a happy ending. He's clearly a pretty toxic force on everyone's lives, and the kids have the stability they need in Henry. To me that is a big part of Don's happy ending, that he can accept who he really is and stop putting on this mask for the world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I dig a lot of those sunglasses. All the drinking accessories are also great.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1596310280517.png
1596310091555.png

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
12198-5vpF8rBxIkjwcVI5H2vPG1JkoKn.jpg

Title: Mad Men

Genre: Drama

Creator: Matthew Weiner

Cast: John Slattery, Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, Vincent Kartheiser, Christina Hendricks, January Jones, Aaron Staton, Rich Sommer, Kiernan Shipka, Jessica Paré, Kevin Rahm, Robert Morse

First aired: 2007-07-19

Overview: Mad Men is set in the 1960s, initially at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue in New York City, and later at the newly created firm, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, located nearby in the Time-Life Building, at 1271 Avenue of the Americas. According to the show's pilot, the phrase "mad men" was a slang term coined in the 1950s by advertisers working on Madison Avenue to refer to themselves. The focal point of the series is Don Draper, creative director at Sterling Cooper and a founding partner at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, and the people in his life, both in and out of the office. The plot focuses on the business of the agencies as well as the personal lives of the characters, regularly depicting the changing moods and social mores of the United States in the 1960s.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
At least you don't have a_skeleton_03 making it his lifes fucking goal to have every thread fixed and reporting every one he could find.

It's the PTSD from when he used to do that that keeps me fixing this shit. LLR doesn't even need to say anything about it anymore.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The whole vibe became "Shit we gotta fill a full hour of TV, drag these scenes". Even the camera cuts started dragging for minutes.

You needed to have really low expectations and brain activity to watch the later seasons after the debut.

• 1Picard

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You needed to have really low expectations and brain activity to watch the later seasons after the debut.

Or to have the ability to watch a character driven show. It's been demonstrated in many threads that a good percentage of this board doesn't have the attention span to watch a show that has character development and there's not a simple conflict and resolution or at least a cliffhanger in every episode. If you think the "pacing sucked" in Mad Men then probably your mistake was watching the show in the first place when you should have been watching "24" on Fox or something.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
The only really bad season was 50 shades of draper.

I get that it's important and a facet of his personality that he is inclin ed to mistake the game for the reality. But an entire season of it was just too much. They needed to show he was more deeply flawed than just the booze, and had trouble connecting emotionally to a self assured woman. I just got it by about the second episode.

Still a wonderful run. It's pretty safe to ignore that entire season. Or at least all the draper scenes.

• 1Solidarity

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or to have the ability to watch a character driven show. It's been demonstrated in many threads that a good percentage of this board doesn't have the attention span to watch a show that has character development and there's not a simple conflict and resolution or at least a cliffhanger in every episode. If you think the "pacing sucked" in Mad Men then probably your mistake was watching the show in the first place when you should have been watching "24" on Fox or something.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that shit out myself. JFC. Don's trips to California and the brunette waitress weren't "side plots."

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

On the contrary, before you get ahead of yourself, I had no problem with Masters of Sex and watched it front to back.

But I guess Masters of Sex must not be character-driven enough. It's not my problem Madmen fell off and sucked dick. let's get another 5 minute shot of a guy starring at an office cart full of papers.

spinnaker

reformed lurker
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that shit out myself. JFC. Don's trips to California and the brunette waitress weren't "side plots."

Some of the California trips were fine and necessary, it's specifically the Jet-setter shit that was tedious to me.

But what did you get out of the brunette waitress thing? I honestly don't get it. Only part of the show I'd skip during rewatches.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the California trips were fine and necessary, it's specifically the Jet-setter shit that was tedious to me.

But what did you get out of the brunette waitress thing? I honestly don't get it. Only part of the show I'd skip during rewatches.

Ultimately, Mad Men is a character study of very complicated, very flawed, and very talented man. You get a snapshot of who you think Don is very early on in the show, but you quickly realize that all you really had was a fuzzy outline of a man with all the details missing. As the show progresses, you are able to slowly fill in the details about who Don is, like fitting together puzzle pieces one at a time. Some of the puzzle pieces are flashbacks of his past, and others are the things he says and does in the present.

The women in Don's life are a huge part of the puzzle for Don. You could write a dissertation about what each of the women in Don's life mean, but I think that the waitress was a reflection of Don's self hate. That's why he is so sure he "knows" her when he first meets her- he's starting at himself. She is totally different from all his other women. She isn't charmed by him, she isn't impressed by him. There is a codependency between them but no lust at all.

Just like Don, the waitress is running away from the messes she has made in her life. She represents the idea that you can try and run away from your problems, but no matter how far you run you'll always see your problems staring back at you when you look in the mirror unless you fix what's wrong with YOU. The fact that the waitress decides to go back home and face her issues is a message to Don that he needs to do the same thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users