Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Night of Knives is book one of a side series (five-ish books long?), so may as well follow that through to the end. Think Return of the Crimson Guard is book two.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There's also the prequel trilogy being released at the moment, if ICE doesn't appeal to you (they're all mediocre to good though). Forge of Darkness is the first and only two are out at the moment.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I just started reading this (I'm almost halfway through book 1) and I am loving it. The magic is awesome and I'm loving Erikson's writing in general. Crokus' first scene blew me away, so awesome.

Lots of the reviews I read before starting said the first book is the hardest to get through so I guess I only have better things to look forward to somehow!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I just started reading this (I'm almost halfway through book 1) and I am loving it. The magic is awesome and I'm loving Erikson's writing in general. Crokus' first scene blew me away, so awesome.

Lots of the reviews I read before starting said the first book is the hardest to get through so I guess I only have better things to look forward to somehow!

I'd heard the same thing, and on subsequent re-reads, that is probably one of my favorite books. I does get better though, so if you're enjoying book 1 just wait... These were pretty great books, and its frankly astonishing he was able to write so many at such a high quality.

Sterling

El Presidente

The first book is kind of tough in that there's a ton of stuff happening and not much exposition or backstory, which is something that a lot of people won't like. If that doesn't bother you then this series might be great for you, as it happens in the rest of the books as well, if not quite as densely as in Gardens.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The first book is kind of tough in that there's a ton of stuff happening and not much exposition or backstory.
Others say flaw, I say best part of the series. Not that I disagree in that it makes it tougher to follow. But the payoff makes it worth it. I feel the Chain of Dogs subplot and Memories of Ice as a whole are quite good because the books rarely uses exposition. Helps you relate to the characters better.

Sterling

El Presidente
Others say flaw, I say best part of the series. Not that I disagree in that it makes it tougher to follow. But the payoff makes it worth it. I feel the Chain of Dogs subplot and Memories of Ice as a whole are quite good because the books rarely uses exposition. Helps you relate to the characters better.
Yeah, I like how it feels very different from most authors because of it. Coltaine for President.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'd heard the same thing, and on subsequent re-reads, that is probably one of my favorite books. I does get better though, so if you're enjoying book 1 just wait... These were pretty great books, and its frankly astonishing he was able to write so many at such a high quality.

It really does get better every subsequent read. I'm on book 6 now, it's my third or forth read through. Still catchings things I missed due to being tired/stupid/drunk. This is the best built world in fantasy IMO.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I like some mystery so I'm finding the unknowns really fun so far. I am looking forward to the world being opened up some more though.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I really like the first book. It is definitely better after you've read the rest.

My main problem with the series as a whole is that there is still a ton of shit that never really gets resolved. Oh and the constant introduction of new random bridgeburners pretty much every book

Randin

Trakanon Raider
My only real issue with book one (at the time) was the Azath, which comes out of the blue and gets no explanation. It comes across as the stupidest sort of Deus Ex Machina until you actually get an explanation X books further into the series, then it becomes pretty awesome.

Some day I'll have to do a full second read-through and see how things read when you actually know what's going on.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I really like the first book. It is definitely better after you've read the rest.

My main problem with the series as a whole is that there is still a ton of shit that never really gets resolved. Oh and the constant introduction of new random bridgeburners pretty much every book

And the snake... I don't think any number of read throughs will make that bearable.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The Azath trap powerful beings that might destroy the world the same way Wooly traps all the autism and retardedness in one poster so we can easily avoid it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Forge and Fall of Light give you more about the Azathanai, although like everything else it probably adds more questions than answers at this point.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>

Shit not getting resolved is what riled me up the most about this series. I picked it up when book 8 was out and reread it through when book 9 and then 10 came out and it's definitely a hell of a ride, especially the first third. Rereads are awesome when you actually have a clue what's going on and where the story is going.

Although fuck having to read esslemont's books as well to actually find out there's stuff going on in the rest of the world that's important to the story.

Also the timeline towards the end is a mess, that also irked the hell out of me.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Shit not getting resolved is what riled me up the most about this series. I picked it up when book 8 was out and reread it through when book 9 and then 10 came out and it's definitely a hell of a ride, especially the first third. Rereads are awesome when you actually have a clue what's going on and where the story is going.

Although fuck having to read esslemont's books as well to actually find out there's stuff going on in the rest of the world that's important to the story.

Also the timeline towards the end is a mess, that also irked the hell out of me.
To be fair though, besides NoN, esslemonts books were pretty good. RotCG is one of the better books in the Malazan world