Malazan Book Of The Fallen

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Deadhouse Landing came out yesterday, just an fyi for those who liked Dancer's Lament. I picked it up but haven't started it yet.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Nice, thanks. I always seem to miss when Esslemont’s books come out. Now I know what I’m reading when I finish Oathbringer

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Deadhouse Landing came out yesterday, just an fyi for those who liked Dancer's Lament. I picked it up but haven't started it yet.

Anyone got a good couple page tldr of dancer's lament on the interwebz somewhere? Maybe I should just read it again but I forgot a lot except that I really loved it.

And thanks for heads up.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finished Deadhouse Landing, good book. It's fun to see how people like Dassem, Tayschrenn, etc end up working for Kellanved and Dancer.

The arrowhead is explained in this one too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Finished Deadhouse Landing, very good book. Only one real complaint:

Mock was written as a total buffoon. It was not believable that he could maintain command over the island, the other captains, or even just one boat with how stupid and naive he was. The Napan/Cawn trap had red flags written all over it and the idiot just sails right into it. He made Tattersail's scenes much less enjoyable by just being there.

Other random musings:
  • I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't put 2+2 together and figure out who "Jack" was until 75% of the way through the book.
  • Tocaras is Toc the Elder, right? The name's too similar to ignore, but they don't actually describe the guy, so I don't know if he's Napan.
  • Kallor was filler. He could have been cut from the book as his scenes provided no development of the character nor his fued with Nightchill.
  • Was there any significance to Lee changing her name to Opal? Searched the malazan wiki and that's the name of a Crimson Guard mage.
  • Really wanted to see Urko choke a bitch.
  • Were the Napans lieing about Hawl being dead? Or is this Hawl a different from the Hawl that is Nok's wife?

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Finished Deadhouse Landing, very good book. Only one real complaint:

Mock was written as a total buffoon. It was not believable that he could maintain command over the island, the other captains, or even just one boat with how stupid and naive he was. The Napan/Cawn trap had red flags written all over it and the idiot just sails right into it. He made Tattersail's scenes much less enjoyable by just being there.

Other random musings:
  • I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't put 2+2 together and figure out who "Jack" was until 75% of the way through the book.
  • Tocaras is Toc the Elder, right? The name's too similar to ignore, but they don't actually describe the guy, so I don't know if he's Napan.
  • Kallor was filler. He could have been cut from the book as his scenes provided no development of the character nor his fued with Nightchill.
  • Was there any significance to Lee changing her name to Opal? Searched the malazan wiki and that's the name of a Crimson Guard mage.
  • Really wanted to see Urko choke a bitch.
  • Were the Napans lieing about Hawl being dead? Or is this Hawl a different from the Hawl that is Nok's wife?

nevermind!

Last edited:

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, hah, finally remembered on of my very minor gripes about the book. I kept expecting Dorin to kill someone with rope. Or just plain do something with rope. I think he fails once to try to grapnel something. That "He was of the opinion that one can never have too much rope" comment didn't seem to pay off.

Isn't the pay-off the fact that Dancer is known as The Rope?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Dancer uses his rope when they ascend in Night of Knives. At some point between Deadhouse Landing and Night of Knives, I assume Dancer learns the rope as a means of killing fools.

• 1Like

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just started Gardens of the Moon today. The first chapter and all the intricacies going on has me hooked already.

Going to be a lot like WoT, and seeing how much I missed the first read through.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't think these have been posted here. Epigraphs for book 1 of the Karsa trilogy.
28061121_944410552377912_8748844693109644616_o.jpg

30705967_976089919209975_2166489930551787520_o.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Until now I didn’t realize he’d decided to write the first of Karsa’s trilogy before he got to finishing the Kharakanas trilogy. Would rather he finish Kharakanas, but I’ll read anything he or Esslemont publishes. I love the Malazan world.

I’m definitely interested in Karsa stuff, I’ve always liked the character despite the 9000 power-level thing.

Hope you’re enjoying the series M Mazim . It’s a different writing style than a lot of other authors, but I think that’s a big part of what makes it great.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think I read that the current prequel trilogy he's been writing isn't selling very well. Malazan is my favorite completed book series, but I don't have much interest in prequels, which is why I never picked them up myself. This goes for movies, games, books, I don't like prequels because you know how everything turns out later. I've been waiting for the Karsa trilogy since The Crippled God, glad he's getting back into current Malazan stuff.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My disinterest in the Kharkanas trilogy has nothing to do with them being prequels. It's largely more philosophical waxing and waning. What started with Toll The Hounds has just continued to ramp up. The series largely turned out ok because it had huge momentum. But as a whole, I thought it ended poorly when considered in context of what it could have been.

Esslemont's trilogy is a prequel and it has been plenty exciting.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed Forge of Darkness. Fall of Light, on the other hand, wasn’t as enjoyable. Like Deathwing said, too much philosophical bs going on with that one.

The battle amongst the Tiste being played out on a chess-board a mile from the action.. barf. Anomander is one of my favorite characters and I wanted to see him own the battlefield.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
My disinterest in the Kharkanas trilogy has nothing to do with them being prequels. It's largely more philosophical waxing and waning. What started with Toll The Hounds has just continued to ramp up. The series largely turned out ok because it had huge momentum. But as a whole, I thought it ended poorly when considered in context of what it could have been.

Esslemont's trilogy is a prequel and it has been plenty exciting.

this

spronk

FPS noob
Took me around 4 years and a lot of down time between books to read other series but I finally finished the main line series. Huh. Definitely an interesting read, not sure I'd ever really "recommend" it to anyone unless they are hardcore fantasy, nihilist/goth-emo kind of people. I enjoyed it although hoped for more from the ending. Reading a lot on the subreddit, http://reddit.com/r/malazan since it has a lot of spoiler-y threads about characters I didn't really understand or threads that just kinda never went anywhere.

Reading through the last few pages I guess there is a kharkanas prequel trilogy, some side books, and maybe a new karsa trilogy? Not sure I really want to tackle any more of it now, feel like jumping into a totally different genre for a while.

Anyways if you are a huge hardcore Malazan fan then the author has donated his own copy of book 4 for a charity, bidding is currently up to $800 and it ends Oct 10th
Read For Pixels 2018 - The HOUSE OF CHAINS Book Auction

When I was 3-4 books in I thought this series might make for a fantastic TV show some day but I'm not really sure anymore, way too many characters, locations, weird stuff. It would definitely be interesting.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That’s pretty cool. I have all the same numbered editions of the SubPress run, finally getting to the end.

Yeah there’s a Kharkanas trilogy as well as the Esselmont books and the Bauchelian & Korbal Broach side stories. I’m a nut and love the stuff but agree with you that it’s hard to recommend unless you know someone is just a weirdo for shit like this.