Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I want to do a Malazan reread sometime soon and I always question if I want to include the Esselmont books this time or not (i have not read them). Reviews seem so up and down.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Read them. Blood and Bone was nothing special. But, if you're interested in the Seguleh, the Crimson Guard and the night Kellenvad and Dancer ascended, then you're missing out if you don't read Esslemont.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I want to do a Malazan reread sometime soon and I always question if I want to include the Esselmont books this time or not (i have not read them). Reviews seem so up and down.
The books vary in quality quite a bit, but if you like Malazan they are certainly worth a read.

Lusiphur

Peasant
The first 4 Esslemonts are actually ok (although the first one is rough around the edges). These last two though have not been great.
I need to re-read the first Kharkanas one again. I am fairly sure I didn't get about 80 percent of it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Return of the Crimson guard was pretty good, by far his best. Read that if nothing else

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Halfway through another reread of this series. Just going to put this here.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So I've been "rereading" the series here:

Malazan Reread of the Fallen - Series | Tor.com

And I thought it would be something I'd understand the second time. But I still don't get the switcheroo Erikson plays with the Crippled God. For 7 books, the guy is a gigantic dick. He corrupts the Tiste Edur. His house is populated by dicks: Kallor, Poliel, The Unbound, Skinner, does Cowl count? The whole series I'm thinking they're going to get that guy. And when they finally do, it's portrayed as a mercy killing?

Certainly didn't feel like what the series was building up to. Also, the whole Shake, shore, Kharkanas storyline have jack shit to do with the main plot didn't help either.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sub Press House of Chains should begin shipping tomorrow, heads up if you ordered one back in umm... Jan/Feb?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished up Assail. I felt the overall narrative was better than Blood and Bone. But Erikson and Esslemont might have written themselves into a corner with the expectation of a big finale, which this one didn't deliver.

Jute and Reuth felt close to useless. Not nearly as useless as the army marching into the jungle in Blood and Bone. Jute and Reuth advanced the plot from their point of view. But they themselves felt useless. Reuth was basically there to make sure the Crimson Guard got through the straights.

Jute was there to play the audience as each barely concealed plot point was revealed and he just sat there asking point blank questions he should have already known the answers to. The sorceress is a Jaghut! Cartheron is working for the Empire! Malle trained Claws! The Empire is setting up a client state! The Crimson Guard are kinda T'Lan! Ok, Jute wasn't there for that one, but if you should have guessed that one by the time the Guard went through the straights and the ice was attacking just them.

I am a little tired of the pronoun game as a manner of plot concealment, seems lazy to me. It's fine if it's a conversation between two characters and that's how they normally would have talked and the audience is just listening in. But there were a lot of times, especially when Cowl was being coy, where Shimmer should have just shaked the shit out of him.

The path of the T'Lan Imass makes no sense. They start in the bone peninsula since they kill Yrkki, the guardian of the bone bridge. But then they march south, killing everyone along the sea of dread?

Supposedly Esslemont is under contract for 3 more books, anyone know what they are about?

Rime

<Donor>
My guess would be SJWs.

Karsa Orlong, Tehol/Bugg, and the Marines were all that made me get through some of the slow spots in the series.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So I finally got around to Orb, Sceptre, Throne.

So who was the ultimate Tyrant baddie again? I don't think I saw a name mentioned, just that it wasn't Raest.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Still waiting for the book devoted to Karsa's attempt to save and lead his people.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Yea, the Karsa trilogy is a few years out still. I got an Erikson novel for Christmas as well, called Willful Child. Just started it, so only a couple of chapters in. It's a sci-fi book. Main character is a ship captain who seems like a Captain Kirk type of character. Don't know if this is going to be a series or if the book is a stand-alone. Long story short: Erikson isn't working on the Karsa stuff right now. I'm definitely looking forward to it, but it'll be a while. More Kharakanas please!