Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I guess I'd rather not be confused when reading. It's cool there's an audience out there for it though, I guess I'm just not in it. Ah well.
frown.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Try not to let the confusion get to you. Letting yourself be "surprised" about the how or why makes for a better story. But for Gardens of the Moon, that the Bridgeburners are a revered and elite commando force is all you need to know. That piece information is eventually given to you(next book, I think) and it fits into the narrative much better.

This isn't to say that the author is immune to this. Karsa Orlong's backstory, along with just about the whole continent of Lether was done somewhat hamfistedly. But, easily forgiven since Karsa, Tehol and Bugg(the latter being inhabitants of the Letherii empire) are some of the best characters in the book that aren't in the Malazan Marines.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Karsa, Tehol, and Bugg are like three of the best characters ever.

At times I've seriously considered trying to do an "Annotated Malazan Book of the Fallen" akin to a wiki, but I find most of the wikis (malazan.wikia.com and encyclopediamalazica) to be terribly bad and not really what I'd be going for. I'm kinda obsessed and can't wait for the next SubPress version.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So are the versions available on Audible worth a spin? I started reading the series maybe five years ago because so many of you talked about how amazing it was, but stopped somewhere in the middle of the third book. Wondering with my current job and tons of road time if it's worth giving it another go. Audiobooks is pretty much my main source for reading now, and I'd just like to know if the performances are top notch for what everyone says is such an epic series. Also, I really wonder if a good narrator will help bring a little bit of order into understanding just who the fuck everyone is, which was one of my biggest problems when I first gave the series a shot. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated...
smile.png

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, with the early books you really need to keep repeating the mantra, "Just keep going, it'll eventually make sense," may take half the book, may take five books, but it'll eventually make sense. Hell, I don't think there's even a glimmer of the "big bad" until, like, book four. I can't even remember how many books it takes Erikson to explain what the hell happened in the climax of Gardens, which prior to that explanation held the title of "weirdest damn deus ex machina I've ever seen" (even with the explanation, it's pretty weird).

But then you start getting an idea of what the fuck is happening, and it gets awesome.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Karsa, Tehol, and Bugg are like three of the best characters ever.

At times I've seriously considered trying to do an "Annotated Malazan Book of the Fallen" akin to a wiki, but I find most of the wikis (malazan.wikia.com and encyclopediamalazica) to be terribly bad and not really what I'd be going for. I'm kinda obsessed and can't wait for the next SubPress version.
I would definitely be down to helping in that endeavor. The wiki pages are lolworthy at best, especially at the lack of depth they maintain. There is some serious shit happening with certain characters and the wiki pages sort of just go "and then Karsa killed an emperor. SCENE~!" and move on.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
There are parts of the novels that are well explained and cohesive and huge swaths that just make no goddamn sense at all, even if you have a photographic memory or read with the wiki open. There are many, many things that are presented as some grand reveal that are just total blanks.

And I don't think it's always on purpose. It's just not quality writing.

However, the good parts are really good.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
To me it was just too confusing to follow along with. It jumps all over the place.
Just skip it. There are some quotes out there from Erikson saying even he thinks people can start with Deadhouse Gates. It took me forever to finish Gardens and it's the worst book of his 10 for sure. Deadhouse is my favorite novel of all time and you don't need the background from the first one. That book was written stand alone anyway.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I'd rather not be confused when reading. It's cool there's an audience out there for it though, I guess I'm just not in it. Ah well.
frown.png
This is why I recommend skipping and picking up Deadhouse Gates. I'd say it's worth the try simply because of how great that second book is. The first one is very confusing. Book 2 drops you in the middle of a world as well, but the story is much more engaging and easier to follow.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Which is odd because out of all the books I love Gardens the most and reread it every 6 months or so.
I have never in my life read anything more epic than the Chain of Dogs in Deadhouse. From how it starts all the way to the conclusion. I get goosebumps just thinking of that ending.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Gardens is not my favorite, probably top 3 or 4 in the series though.

I honestly didn't think it was that hard to follow. I think it's worse later in the series when he introduces whole new sets of people for no god damned reason. Pretty much becomes Random_Malazan_Marine_01, 02, etc.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I got it. I just didn't enjoy it. Does that count?

I much prefer the Martin style of narration and intimate character details. Erikson gives you a view from 1,000 feet (and sometimes 10,000), whereas Martin is so low that you're viewing everything from first person.

The power scaling is off-putting to me as well. It's worse than most animes I've seen.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
In what sense? The only person who's power changes, without reason, is Quick Ben. And it's revealed he knows Mother Dark on some personal level, so maybe he's just been that reserved the whole time.

Sterling

El Presidente
In what sense? The only person who's power changes, without reason, is Quick Ben. And it's revealed he knows Mother Dark on some personal level, so maybe he's just been that reserved the whole time.
I don't think he means individuals getting stronger as time goes on so much as introducing new characters.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are some really over the top characters but I personally enjoyed them, some more than others but I felt all had their place. Despite the sometimes "over 9000" power scale I still felt like Erickson did a good job conveying danger and uncertainty which you usually don't get with that kind of power creep.