Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Lenthan

Trakanon Raider
I'm reading the Esslemont books for the first time. Enjoying them since you see different areas of the world. Also, some characters from Erikson. He's just not as good or funny as Erikson. Glad I bought the books, but I don't know about any re-reads. Seeing Korel, Assail, and Jacuruku was interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Unnngg just got to 9 and it’s a love hate for me. Like The Shake and thought process or the Kchain, how can I possibly care about that stuff after following the other story lines for 8 books. How you gonna deep dive into these side stories this point, STEVE.

The love part is real too, though, and I’m still really into the main storylines and enjoying the series as a whole. Does anyone else struggle with what feels like side stories on the 9th book, or do you have enough faith in the author to just go for it?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How can you possibly care? You dont. You zombie through those chapters in order to get to the ones about familiar characters. That last book is rough af imo.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I guess I feel bad about zombing through and missing some of the cool connections they make, but also remember thinking ‘fuck this whole Redmask story’ then getting the result and thinking ‘man, good thing I didn’t pay much attention to that’

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I'm reading the Esslemont books for the first time. Enjoying them since you see different areas of the world. Also, some characters from Erikson. He's just not as good or funny as Erikson. Glad I bought the books, but I don't know about any re-reads. Seeing Korel, Assail, and Jacuruku was interesting.
I *tried* rereading the ICE books , I got almost through 2 of them.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Return of the Crimson Guard is the only ICE book I would ever consider worth rereading, and that would be very low relative to Erikson's overall list.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Open so far for those who ordered Crippled God, not sure when / if general ordering will begin or if they have enough copies.

Granted the Kharkanas trilogy hasn't been as up to par as the Book of the Fallen, but still! And I'd hate to break up my set, although the Lettered Edition is a little steep haha.

• 1Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I thought Forge of Darkness was pretty good. Lots of really good stuff with the Tiste, and the other race of people I won't go into detail about, amnong other things. I doubt most folks have read the book and I don't want to spoil anything, but it fleshes out a lot about the elder races and gods, while also opening the door on a lot more questions. Fall of Light, on the other hand, was not so great. I can deal with the philosophizing that Erikson likes so much but Fall of Light was just totally over the top with it. I may need to revisit that one but I recall being extremely disappointed when I finished it.

That said, is there more art than what's shown there for Forge of Darkness? Surely there is. I might need to get in on this when they open it up to the public. I've regretted not buying the special editions that have been posted in the past.

• 1Like

Lenthan

Trakanon Raider
I finished my read and of ICE's original run of books, Night of Knives through Assail. Speed read through a good chunk of Assail. It was nice to see some loose ends tied but the quality difference was hard to get through. Bringing back a very important character wasn't that great to see.

Anomander alive again? Cheapens his sacrifice and mystique. And losing an arm. So dumb.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It sounded as if at one point he was meant to be but then ultimately not taken in that direction. Probably a lot of overlap remained and rather than tie it all together and work it all out he was just another mysterious character that exists.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I thought Forge of Darkness was pretty good. Lots of really good stuff with the Tiste, and the other race of people I won't go into detail about, amnong other things. I doubt most folks have read the book and I don't want to spoil anything, but it fleshes out a lot about the elder races and gods, while also opening the door on a lot more questions. Fall of Light, on the other hand, was not so great. I can deal with the philosophizing that Erikson likes so much but Fall of Light was just totally over the top with it. I may need to revisit that one but I recall being extremely disappointed when I finished it.

That said, is there more art than what's shown there for Forge of Darkness? Surely there is. I might need to get in on this when they open it up to the public. I've regretted not buying the special editions that have been posted in the past.

Forgot to respond yesterday but couldn't find the old examples of the Book of the Fallen pages to compare the posted artwork vs. what was in the released novels. My recollection is that not all book illustrations were posted online and that the final version did contain more. Guess we'll see if that is the case with Forge as well.

God I really need to finish Horus Heresy Book 5 and just start this re-read.

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Unnngg just got to 9 and it’s a love hate for me. Like The Shake and thought process or the Kchain, how can I possibly care about that stuff after following the other story lines for 8 books. How you gonna deep dive into these side stories this point, STEVE.

The love part is real too, though, and I’m still really into the main storylines and enjoying the series as a whole. Does anyone else struggle with what feels like side stories on the 9th book, or do you have enough faith in the author to just go for it?
Hey, I'm happy to trudge through some less than stellar literary treacle if I'm guaranteed there's good shit on the other side.

Robert Jordan pushed it too far, though. I was getting bored through the Fires of Heaven book (irony) and was told it didn't really pick back up until Sanderson took over, which was at least another 6 books away.

I just cursed Jordan and got onto another series. The Prince of Nothing impressed me enough, and Malazan definitely has.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, I'm happy to trudge through some less than stellar literary treacle if I'm guaranteed there's good shit on the other side.

Robert Jordan pushed it too far, though. I was getting bored through the Fires of Heaven book (irony) and was told it didn't really pick back up until Sanderson took over, which was at least another 6 books away.

I just cursed Jordan and got onto another series. The Prince of Nothing impressed me enough, and Malazan definitely has.
It picked back up on the last book Jordan wrote (11) once he realized he was dying soon. There were some major things that happened in the books between, I’ve always wish someone would just compress books 7,8,9,10 into one. It would be much easier to stomach then. Jordan stretched shit way too far and was introducing completely new and pointless plot lines way too late in the series.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Never marry your editor.
Yeah. It had the feel of just trying to milk money out of the series so he could just write in that world forever.

It’s funny, in the audiobooks you can tell even the narrator is fucking tired of the women and the braid tugging and shit just dragging on forever. He was eventually so flat when reading those scenes.

• 1Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I've "reread" Jordan once. Series is much better if you just read dialogue and the action scenes and skip everything else. First sentence of each paragraph is enough to know whether to skip it or not.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users