[manga] Everything Else

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea i did that too, you have to commit at least 6 issues, and then youll be like fuck, its 4am. Short description, guy is suddenly a gamer irl, reads a book int plus 1, runs for 1 hour sta plus 1. How did this happen and why, and how it affects him now., thats all i will say

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm on chapter 9 of The Gamer and while it's not as good as Tower of God, it's still better than a lot of the manga that is currently out.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
I've been reading The Gamer, it's been pretty enjoyable. Nothing ground breaking, but I look forward to it each week.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea the problem the gamer and the breaker have imo is central character bias. You only really care about shiwoon or the gamer. I guess in the beginning nine arts dragon(9AD) was cool, but in new waves he's so non-existent, you like, what the fuck ever.

As opposed to tower of god, if he released 20issues now that timeskipped between earlier and current times of Rak or Koon and zero mention of Bamm, fuck yea i'd be cool with that. He's done the best world-building and primary/secondary/tertiary character creation. BUT that's a special case imo, most manhua's and all mangas are just like gamer/breaker they just don't have the skill to create great secondary chars.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone else read A Fairytale for the Demon Lord? It's on egscans. Its a very trippy manhwa, hella confusing at most times but its has this totally original twist that happens in the 2nd/3rd season that is pretty damn awesome. Artworks a bit schizo but passable.

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
The Gamer is good at first until you realize that there is no plot beyond "I have game like abilities aren't I awesome?". There is no story beyond grinding and having him explain at length the most basic game concepts every other chapter while supporting characters get jealous and make repetitive comments while the main character gloats about how amazing his abilities are... over and over again. So the highlights are a shallow and over powered MC, a cardboard cutout side cast including his BFF who comes off as being gay for him due to his endless motherly concern, no plot beyond the power grind and endless repetition of the above. So it's a less proficient average shonen type of manga.

That said each chapter takes only a few seconds to read and the beginning is amusing so enjoy/hate it for what it is.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Agree it definitely lacks the depth or gravitas that TOG and the breaker(even though I am not a big fan) have. I think all mangas need that in order to transcend to awesomeness.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Another Manhua that goes breakerstyle is "feng shen ji", again w/o the main char there substance anywhere.

while in TOG you could have 20 or even 50 issues w/o a single mention of bamm and if it's focus'd on good secondary chars, still perfect.

A manga that actually manages to do it differently, where i don't give a shit about anyone but interested in the group as a whole, fairy tail. (it is also a guild concept, so maybe this is what he wanted to accomplish in the first place)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Finally caught up with The Gamer in two days. I will agree with everyone's assessment in that there is very little plot outside of grinding and becoming powerful. Probably the worst offense of all is you have people who've never played games before are using abbreviations and terminology that are only seen in games.

Malkav

French Madman
Latest Nanatsu no Taizai chapter : DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMNNNN! Shit's getting serious.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
gamer is very enjoyable, especially if you are a gamer yourself (like most of us).

I recently started to read two things similar to it (well they related to game). Zhang long and overlord. Overlord plot is similar to Sao, a guy get trapped in the virtual mmo he was playing the night before the mmo was shut down. the difference is, he is the only one trapped, and the char itself aint human, he is an undead. Also the protagonist while not being evil di per se for sure is different from the classic do goodie usual char we find in these type of stories.

Zhang long its about a guy, an ex special corpse guy, who works as a security guard, who is tasked to protect some company heir 24/7, so he has to folllow her also in vr game who he wanted to play but had no money for. Its pretty good imho.

I enjoyed both of those so much that i went ahead to read the lightnovels as well.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I tired to read gamer but I hate the art style and page setup.

Also Nyn I been reading those for a couple weeks now and I agree they are enjoyable.

Latest one I started reading is "The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor" about mmos, guy is poor and randomly tries to sell his account which then goes for a shit load of money which is then mostly taken by loan sharks. But then tries to do it again in a new game.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah legendary was my next target, the manwha has few chapter translated but there are tons of novel.

Beside those 2 i really enjoy two more amonst what ive read lately that stand out imho (both have novel and manga/manwha)

The first is mushoku tensei: its about a neet that die in rl with lot of regrets, and reborn again in a fantasy land, with all his memories of his previous life, and decide to live his new life doing the best he can. The novel (and supposely the manga) cover all the phase of his life from kid to the adulthood, it is pretty cool.

Second is Douluo dalu, somewhat similar but very different.. bout some martial artist that reach the pinnacle of his own school and decide to steal its secret tecnique. After doing so he choose to end his own life. He reborn but keep his previous memories, and basically its the story of the guy. I think its chinese manga, its very well done but its slow on the updates, tons of novels for this too tho.

The new gate is also another that i read, only few chapters are out, premise is similar to overlord/soa, very powerful guy got stuck in a game, seem he is alone, and he tries to figure out what to do.