Marriage and the Power of Divorce

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
It's technically $58 for a signature drink, "unlimited" apps, "unlimited" pasta bar, carving stations (multiple), salad and a soup, desert table, and $2 a person for them to cut and serve our cake (BULLSHIT)
invite me.
EDIT: wait, is this divorce. i thought it was a divorce thread. this is marriage. that's not awesome.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$58 is cheap as shit. Is it open bar or just 1 drink included?

Our wedding reception was a plated dinner (soup + bread service, salad, PALATE CLEANSER, steak/chicken, ice cream, cake) with cocktail hour + 4 passed hors d'oeuvres, 4 more hours of open bar with no retarded breaks or bar closings during dinner, and wedding cake and it was around $110 - $120 per person.

What gets included in that is automatic 11% service charge or something and 20% gratuity. Plus it was downtown Chicago so add on more money for that reason I'm sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We're just doing 1 drink, far too many drunks and lushes coming that I feel I couldn't handle it

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I sympathize with that. Not even the cost aspect necessarily, just the waste of people leaving full drinks all over the place. Even making it a dollar bar (Canadian: loonie bar) helps to cut that shit down.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That was the deciding factor really. We went to someone elses wedding that had an open bar, and there were just full drinks left all over the place. The dad ended up spending over $5000 on the bar at the end of the night.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
pretty decent price imo for the food. the photographer however is over charging the fuck out of you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nope.. his prices were good.. fiance wanted to buy everything he offered which includes a photobooth all night with a free 2nd photographer doing it, all prints are free for guests. A custom leatherbound photo album, rights to all the pictures, rights to our engagement shoot pictures, rights to the photo booth pictures. It's a lot.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was the deciding factor really. We went to someone elses wedding that had an open bar, and there were just full drinks left all over the place. The dad ended up spending over $5000 on the bar at the end of the night.
Open bar was not a separate charge. It was included in the price of the package. Only thing not allowed was shots.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Our wedding reception meal was right around that. Choice of steak, chicken or salmon, sides, + water/tea/soft drinks, I think it was right around $50 a person. Every little thing is an add-on when you're doing a wedding meal. It was like $30 for the base entree, another $8 if you want salads + bread beforehand, another $5 if you want to offer coffee/tea/soft drinks, then $2 or $3 for them to plate and serve your own wedding cake. We didn't go buffet though, this was all table service with waiters and waitresses to refill drinks, but because of that it also wasn't all-you-can-eat.

If you can get a wedding meal for ~$50 a person or less, you are doing really well. A lot of catering services and nice restaurants want upwards of $80-$100 a person.

Originally we had planned to just eat at a restaurant in a private room, when our wedding was planned to only be 20-30 people. Once it ballooned to 70ish and we had to start looking at catering options and small banquet halls to rent, the prices skyrocketed because at that point it was obvious it was a wedding. You pay well above going restaurant prices once they know it's a wedding.

I believe the alcohol pricing was something like $12 a person for unlimited beer, $15 a person for beer + wine, $25 a person for unlimited well/mixed drinks, $35 a person for unlimited premium mixed drinks.

Out of our 70 or so people, 60 were adults, so to do a fully open bar with top-shelf liquor we would have been looking at another $2100 on top of the $3500 we spent on the meal. They charge for EVERY adult that attends, whether they drink or not. We went with a cash bar, and everyone seemed fine with that.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy shit, $5000 for food for 86 people? That's $58 a plate. You're one crazy motherfucker.
I personally find the $5000 photographer to be the more insane figure. Did he manage to sneak you guys in between his super model photoshootings?

wait, you had to pay for the rights to the photos? That must be an American thing...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Capitalism baby! Sorry, been playing a lot of BL2 recently.

You guys should look into booking a room at a restaurant if possible. My wife and I booked an Italian eatery where we went for our first anniversary(nostalgia!) and every table was served family style. Don't like the pasta and vodka sauce? You can have some of the sausage and peppers and onions. Or the other two pasta dishes. Or the other 3 meat dishes. It's basically a buffet but without the cheap feel of the buffet and preparation drawbacks that a buffet can inflict on the food.

61 people, $1611. We did not have an open bar, but my wife's dad decided to open one that night, so I have no idea how much that cost.

Oh, that didn't include the cakes either. $100 for 2 large ice cream sheet cakes. Not a typical cake, but we met working at Carvel, so more nostalgia. And fuck you, ice cream cakes from Carvel are delicious. They should sell those chocolate crunchies separately.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our photographer was around $2500.

For that we got 2 photographers and an assistant, with one of the photographers being the owner of the company, for 13 hours. Started at 11 when the women were getting dressed. No end time until we were done partying. One of them offered to come to the bar with us after the reception but my wife and I declined so he didn't go.

Included engagement pictures (which we didn't even get), a fancy photo album, plus we own all the pictures. No photo booth though. That is probably costing you at least $2,000.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
We lucked out on the photographer. Since it was a Saturday morning wedding and she had a wedding booked for that night, she allowed us to just hire her by the hour during the 3 hours that we needed her from like 11am - 2pm. Total cost including the CD of all our photos(that she processed/touched up) = $550. Then we just took those photos and had them printed elsewhere and online, much, much cheaper than buying photo packages through a photographer, and just the same quality.

We had professional photo albums made online and shipped to us for about 1/4 of the cost of what it cost to order them through the photographer.

Most wedding photographers won't even talk to you unless you are buying some big $2500+ package from them where you have them all day to follow you around town taking pictures and crap. We didn't want to spend all day taking pictures at dozens of different locations, that seemed dumb.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had some family members that are photographers that offered to do it for free, but we just didn't feel right. In hindsight, I should've just said fuck it and took them up on it and gave them a sweetass tip

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, we had the same offer from a cousin of mine who is a professional photographer, but we decided not to do it. I hate getting family & business mixed up. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of my cousin taking too long to get the pictures editted, us not feeling like we could say anything because we weren't paying for it, etc. Just puts everyone in a possibly bad situation.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Back up a sec. Quinloe jumped on it first but... you have to BUY the rights to pictures of YOUR wedding that you are ALREADY paying for? Man what a scam.