Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Deja vu, or have you made nearly the exact same post before joeboo? Fuck you for giving me deja vu.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I somewhat understand the cheapness. Look at it from their perspective. I don't know how remote they are, but a family of 5 does not travel trivially. Couple hotel rooms(maybe 1 if you put someone on a cot), food not at the reception, gas. They're out ~$400 just to attend. Hope none of the kids grew out of their nice clothes recently. And yes, they can decline to attend, but sometimes a decision like that when it comes to families is not that cut & dry. Especially if they are close family.

So, yeah, it's cheap. Which is why the wife and I only invited close family. Relations and distance. We also did a family style reception, so there wasn't a per plate cost to someone showing up or not.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We only had two people skip out on our wedding... he claimed he got hurt at work but I'm pretty sure him and his girlfriend got stoned and forgot about it.

and yeah, some couples just gave us 50 bucks but you just gotta laugh it off. With cocktail hour, passed appetizers, plated dinner, and 4 hour open bar, I think we paid like $120 a plate almost. Hardly anyone actually covered the cost of their meal now that I think about it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I really think that's the wrong way to look at it. A wedding is not a financial transaction between the hosts and the guests(unless you're Italian). Between travel and lodging for the guests and hosting for the main couple, pretty much everyone loses. It's big party and scale it accordingly. If money is more important, scale it down and invite less people.

And buy her a moissanite ring.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I never did look at it that way. But I did take it as a slap on the face. that $20 envelope or the salt and pepper shaker (true story) might as well have been a picture of a dudes hand giving me the birdie.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I had to fly back to Cincinnati three times in one year's time for weddings. I was in the wedding party for every one of them and the best man for two of them. Flights, rental cars, hotels, tux rentals. I spent nearly $1500 to just attend the wedding. You're not getting a gift too. They were all cool with it, but one of the wives did get a little nasty with me about it six or seven months later when we met up for dinner when I happened to be in Seattle (where they currently reside).

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you laugh in her face and have another drink as your ex-friend looked on in sheepish helplessness?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
They were all cool with it, but one of the wives did get a little nasty with me about it six or seven months later when met up for dinner when I happened to be in town.
I feel sorry for that dude that married her.

Our wedding/reception cost less than $200, and I think we spent $40 of our own money for the preacher. It was the day after we graduated college, and neither of us had extra money to spend, so we didn't. 23 years and counting; that wedding day doesn't mean shit in the long run.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Deja vu, or have you made nearly the exact same post before joeboo? Fuck you for giving me deja vu.
It's entirely possible. I know I've mentioned it before, but I can't remember if it was here, or the previous forums, or what.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel sorry for that dude that married her.

Our wedding/reception cost less than $200, and I think we spent $40 of our own money for the preacher. It was the day after we graduated college, and neither of us had extra money to spend, so we didn't. 23 years and counting; that wedding day doesn't mean shit in the long run.
I've mentioned my wedding a few times. Between everything we spent like $500 or $600. Every time we see someone talking about spending thousands of dollars we look back fondly on it. Otherwise, it was just a day.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We invited 445 people, we both have large families and parents that wanted to invite a lot of their friends. Only 250 came. I think out of that maybe 6 or so didn't show. Thankfully our parents paid for most of it, though we helped where we could.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There aren't even 50 people I would want at my hypothetical wedding, let alone 445.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Did you laugh in her face and have another drink as your ex-friend looked on in sheepish helplessness?
It was an isolated incident. My friend shrugged it off and defended me right there at the dinner table. He's not really pussy-whipped at all. He still does fun bro stuff like Vegas trips and other comparable excursions.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There aren't even 50 people I would want at my hypothetical wedding, let alone 445.
I'm not sure I even know 445 people. Hell, I only have 300 facebook friends, and 2/3 of those are highschool classmates I havent seen in 20 years.

We had about 65 people at our wedding. I invited about 15, the other 50 were my wife's invites.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have 136 in family alone. We're fairly close, always getting together for family stuff. Couldn't not invite all of them. I think she had 90 family as well. I agree its a crazy amount.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had to decline going to a very good friend of mine's wedding a few weeks back. It would have cost me around $1200 to get there and pay for the hotel and that doesn't even include what I would have spent to eat and drink. I sent them $200 as a wedding gift. Really wish I could have gone but it just wasn't financially possible. You should never expect to make back what you spent on a wedding. If you and your wife feel the need to spend an extravagant amount of money on a wedding that's your business and you should. But you shouldn't begrudge people who don't give you an extravagant gift in return. You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking the world revolves around you on that one day because it doesn't and people have other financial burdens you may not be aware of.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Can't believe some of you selfish bastards spent so much money on a wedding, then bitch if people don't "cover their plate costs". L O fucking L. We had a potluck reception in a cheap hall we rented. So yeah, we "covered plate costs" like a motherfucker. Not that that was important to us. I just find the whole concept of "making money" at a wedding alien.