Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is going to be a bit harsh but do you think that possibly now that she can make her own money to not live on the streets she doesn't need you?
This sort of happened to me with my ex. I don't think she was consciously in it for the money, but I think it was a lot easier for her to stick with the relationship (and implore me to do the same) when she had very little financial means and she couldn't maintain a "normal" lifestyle on her own without accruing mega-debt. I noticed a gradual shift in her mentality when she got a better job while we were engaged and felt like she had enough money to live ok on her own. Glad we decided to go through with the wedding anyway (massive sarcasm intended).

I agree I shifted those goalposts. But I'm having difficulty conceiving of the conversation where I invite the chick to move in, and tell her she now owes me $900/mo. I made the invitation to move in, not split finances. To me those are different conversations.
I've done rent sharing every time. It was always less than whatever she was paying prior; as in, moving in discounted her living expenses & was part of the "justification" this was a good idea. If she had less means, I was willing to take on a larger portion of the rent. I'm confused why you think living with someone you date = them living 100% on your dime when you aren't even married. Nor do I understand the "separate conversations" part, it's all one conversation: "Do we want to move in together? We'd both save money and we spend a lot of time together anyway..." And into the trap you fall (unless it works out).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Nor do I understand the "separate conversations" part, it's all one conversation: "Do we want to move in together? We'd both save money and we spend a lot of time together anyway..." And into the trap you fall (unless it works out).
Agreed. It's always been part of the same conversation with me, but I also have never dated someone making so much less than me that paying for their living expenses was even a consideration(or I've never made so much money that it was an option to begin with!).

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I agree I shifted those goalposts. But I'm having difficulty conceiving of the conversation where I invite the chick to move in, and tell her she now owes me $900/mo. I made the invitation to move in, not split finances. To me those are different conversations.
You shifted the goalposts immensely. You're the oddball here, not most working class people.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My crazy latina ex is still terrible with money. Despite making excellent salary (~$100k) just like me, and to boot working in tax management/wealth management for a career. Everything is/was about money to her. The moment we broke up her finances went to shit because she is so utterly unable to handle money for some reason.

She also still tries to contact me every few months or so. Just like all the Nostradamus here foretold. Pretty easy to ignore her anymore. Now dating some idiot who works for the city and super proud of his $15/hr for some reason.

Edit: Don't mean that in a condescending kind f way. But the guy is legitimately super proud of his career track to the point of which I know about it despite never meeting him and having minimal contact with her period.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit. You and I live in different worlds.

If the money truly means nothing to your finances (in which case, I envy you), I'd tell her "thanks for the memories, debt forgiven" just so you don't have to stay connected with her over what will likely be a long payoff process. But for me, $20k is a shitload.
It's doesn't mean "nothing" to me. That buys a nice motorcycle! But no, it doesn't make any significant difference to my finances or spending. A few years ago it would have been a bigger deal, but my company's had a few pretty good years and I haven't really been spending any of it. I more or less live off my salary (120k/year), with probably 10-20k left over for saving each year. No car payments, mortgage, or any of that shit. I don't have expensive tastes for clothes, my car's 6 years old, etc etc. I don't live cheap or frugal, but I live well within the means provided by my salary. Any profits pulled out of the company go straight in to my various investment accounts. I'm 3-5 years away from being able to walk away and live off the passive income from my investments, if I chose to. Which also ties in with the whole "what the fuck do I want to do with my life going forward?" thing.

In any case, I've already repeatedly told her that she doesn't have to pay me back and that I'm not particularly interested in her mailing me a $250 check every month for the next 6 or 7 years. Every time she's insisted that no, that's not right, it would bother her to have that hanging over her forever, etc etc. Her paying me back is 100% on her. Truth be told, I was snooping around in some of her files that she left on my NAS, and came across her budgeting spreadsheet. I only briefly peeked before I closed it due to guilt, but it looks like she's intending on trying to pay me back $500 or more per month going forward. Given what I know about her finances and expenses, I think that's incredibly unrealistic. If she worked 32 hours a week for a full year, I think she might pull in 50-60k before taxes. But keep in mind that living expenses in Alberta are probably 20-40% more expensive in raw dollar values than they would be in most American cities. And she has to do a two month unpaid practicum this July/August, followed by a 10 month internship that will either be shit pay, or no pay. And there's no guarantee after she's done that, that she can get her job back at the research center.

One thing I was kicking around as a solution would be for her to donate whatever she can reasonably afford to the local autism society, instead of paying me back. That's the field that she's primarily been working for the last few years. She can even do it in my name if she wants and send me the tax receipts once a year. I get some tax credits, she deals with her money guilt, and the society gets some nice donations. Everyone wins! She's going to insist on paying me back directly, though.

Noodlemod_sl said:
You know, $20k almost does sound like she was in it for the money
Trust me bro, she wasn't. On the other hand, if I also added up a reasonable amount of rent and utilities, groceries, dining and so on that she would/should have been paying on her own, it's probably double or triple that. But no, she really wasn't after money. She wouldn't even let me buy her a pair of shoes or some clothes or whatever when we were out shopping.

Tarrant_sl said:
He kept records of it, if he wanted to he could go after her for it if she doesn't pay. Two things with this;

1. It sounds like she will pay, or at least attempt to.

2. If she starts then stops, unless she does something to truly piss Eomer off, I don't see him going after her for it anyway. (not saying that as a knock on you, I just think with your feelings for her and how you seem to talk, you'd be okay with just cutting the loss and moving on)
Oh yeah, I've got a signed promissory note for the car loan, with the car specifically mentioned as collateral. I could have her car repo'd no problem. The other money would be more difficult if I chose to pursue her and she resisted, but there's records of it all. In any case, I'm not going to pursue her and she's probably not going to walk away from it. It just occurred to me that I'm also a co-signer on her car loan, so that could potentially come back to bite me in the ass, but I really, really doubt it. Even if it does, it would only be a few thousand bucks.

Cad_sl said:
I mean ok but who the fuck charges their girlfriend rent.
Cad_sl said:
The idea that someone making as much as me or Eomer is going to split rent with a girlfriend who is a student is just absurd. If the two are kinda on the same playing field or rented the apt together? Maybe... if I invite her to come live with me then start invoicing her 1/2? Yea thats not going to work out and you know it.
I could see it if a couple was living in the guy's place and he had a mortgage, condo fees, and so on and like you said they were in similar financial positions. Whether you call that rent or "sharing expenses" is kind of moot. But no, in our situation it would have made zero sense. But as I said above, it does factor in to the her finances in a big way not having had to pay rent or utilities for 2 years. Conservatively that's $15,000 or more by itself.

Tenks_sl said:
This is going to be a bit harsh but do you think that possibly now that she can make her own money to not live on the streets she doesn't need you?
I don't think that factored in to things for her, but it definitely made her life easier once the decision was made to leave. If this had happened a year ago she'd be in much worse financial shape and would likely have to work shifts waitressing along with her 4 day a week job at the autism research center and her night classes etc to make ends meet. She may still have to do that. But her pay raise this summer after coming back from her practicum was damn near 40% as she changed positions from research assistant to psychometrist.

Noodlemod_sl said:
Maybe he said "hey you wanna move in and split the rent" ?

He may have posted it, I can't remember. Me and the wife got joint accounts early though, but we were mostly on equal pay before I graduated.
The arrangement when she moved in that she suggested was that she would pay for the groceries and take care of cooking, cleaning etc (she insisted that we cancel the house cleaning service). After a few months I started to give her $150/month to help out with groceries. After six months we'd hired a new cleaning service. After a year I'd gotten a secondary Visa on my account so that she could just put the groceries on there, and whatever else she felt comfortable. I never really monitored it closely other than categorizing shit in Quicken. She never did anything silly with the Visa, and the few times she purchased clothes or whatever on it she either paid me back later or added it to the list of what she owed me.

Kirun_sl said:
Eomer, my bro..you dodged a fucking bullet. Psychology majors are fucking insane. They're right up there with teachers and nurses. Any sort of "altruistic" profession attracts the absolute crazies.
Sorry man, but you're just flat out wrong with this chick. She's got a couple odd and large hangups about money, but otherwise she's far and away the most reasonable and rational girl I've ever dated. Everyone that knows her would agree. She's not crazy in the slightest.

Kirun_sl said:
PS. This little stunt of her wanting to "repay" the debt is just a way for her to stay connected/in contact with you. She likely wants to see what other dick she's missing out on for a bit (especially now that it sounds like she's "established" herself and you helped finance it, so she doesn't really need your patronage anymore), but she's going to keep you on the backburner under the facade that she's "repaying" you. Juuuuuuuuust in case she doesn't find a better alternative/gets bored/goes broke/etc. Then, she'll come to you one day for her "month/yearly/whenever the fuck I feel like it now" payment and want to "reconnect". Like Haast said, if you can ignore the 20k, just write it off as a life lesson and cut your losses. You're only going to end up hurt in the long-run.
I guess we'll see what the future holds, but I really doubt that she's going to keep me on a leash in case she wants to come back. As I said before, after seeing how she was with her recent ex when the two of us started dating, and seeing how her behavior and demeanor towards me has changed since we broke up, I really can't see her changing her mind down the road.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Even at 120k/yr I'd still consider 20k a pretty significant amount of money. Maybe I'm just a miserly old asshole. But that is about 20k below my combined household income and I would certainly notice and feel 20k missing. Or maybe it means more to me now since I'm saving aggressively for a down payment on a home so I'm more in tune with it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
120k is just his salary, he still has the profits of his business he gets too he just invests it and doesn't count on it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
120k a year is my salary. In the past 18 months I've pulled out about a million in dividends in to my holding company, most of which I could then flow down personally without tax because my hold co owed me a shitload of money from buying my dad out back in 2010. It varies massively from year to year of course, but in an average year my personal bonus or dividend to my hold co (depending on how the accounts structure it) is somewhere around 400-500k. Again, it varies hugely in terms of amount and timing and whatever black magic the accountant is doing, but that's more representative of my true income/earnings.

Like I said, it's not that it's "nothing" or even "insignificant". It's that it makes no material difference to my own lifestyle or finances, and I lent her that money with no expectation of ever seeing it again. Course, the second half of that expectation was that she stuck around. But dwelling on it isn't going to help either of us, which is why I'm getting kind of frustrated with her insistence on paying me back. However it's going to be next to impossible to just cut her out and avoid her entirely, as she is still best friends with the wife of one of my very good friends. Even if I dodge her calls and texts we're still going to run in to each other eventually, and it'll just be that much more awkward if I've been ducking her.

In some ways, the situation is almost comical because it's the complete opposite of probably 90% of relationships where the dude walks away jilted that the chick owes him a ton of money, and the chick walks away feeling no guilt about it.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Even at 120k/yr I'd still consider 20k a pretty significant amount of money. Maybe I'm just a miserly old asshole. But that is about 20k below my combined household income and I would certainly notice and feel 20k missing. Or maybe it means more to me now since I'm saving aggressively for a down payment on a home so I'm more in tune with it.
$120k is Eomer's salary from his business, which is not the same as his income. He makes additional money as an owner of the business. He was saying he lives well within the means of his $120k salary and with his other income considered, $20k wasn't that much.

Just remember: it's all Canadian money, which I'm pretty sure is equivalent to the pink bills in a Monopoly set.

EDIT: looks like Big E beat me to the post.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
However it's going to be next to impossible to just cut her out and avoid her entirely, as she is still best friends with the wife of one of my very good friends. Even if I dodge her calls and texts we're still going to run in to each other eventually, and it'll just be that much more awkward if I've been ducking her.
You don't have to duck her. Just tell her you'd prefer to go your separate ways, and be polite but brief with conversation if you are around her with friends. She'll probably get the hint and minimize interaction with you.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, if I were to loan a girlfriend/friend/family member money I'd do it under the expectation that I'd never get it back. Of course I would prefer to get it back but I wouldn't loan more money out than I could afford and be okay with never seeing again. ~17% of my yearly salary would be tough but not impossible for me, but man that person would have to have a pretty special need.

Eomer, you could set up a joint bank account that she just wires the repayment into. That way you don't have to interact with her or worry about cashing checks and she can technically still access the money should she need it desperately (which I'm assuming is one of the reasons you aren't in a hurry to re-coop it).

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its gone up a bit. Last I saw it was trading at 1CAD=0.70USD. Its kind of shocking because not even what .. 5 years ago? 1CAD > 1USD.
I had no idea what the exchange rate was, I just like talking shit about Canadian money. Though in college, when the interweb was young and the Canadian exchange rate was even more in favor the the USD, I found I could buy games off a Canadian website and get them cheaper than US stores. Dat currency manipulation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So when eomer says he had 1 million in dividends really thats $740,000 real money and basically means he's homeless

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had no idea what the exchange rate was, I just like talking shit about Canadian money. Though in college, when the interweb was young and the Canadian exchange rate was even more in favor the the USD, I found I could buy games off a Canadian website and get them cheaper than US stores. Dat currency manipulation.
There was a mensware store that I bought a few things off when the CAD crashed because it was cheaper than even buying the items direct from Japan. They now do a 1:1 exchange rate if you're outside Canada so now the prices are pretty fucked. Luckily the Yen crashed a few years or so ago so buying directly from Japan is pretty dirt cheap due to exchange rates. That went from 80yen~=1USD to 120yen~=1USD rather quickly.