Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Scanned Eomer's post again for mention of marriage and it reinforces my previous opinion barring inner-relationship material to which we aren't privy. My wife made no mention towards marriage whatsoever while we dated. I deployed about 1.5 years into the relationship, spent 9 months apart, came back, and proposed to her at my unit's welcome home celebration. Next time we talk I'll confirm with her but I think many women feel that if they bring up a marriage discussion in any serious sense that they would feel that they're potentially coercing the man into an engagement which would absolutely tarnish the entire ritual.

The only solution to that is dating a woman who's already got a career when you yourself have a good career.
That's good advice for practically anyone that wants a peer.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Or one that doesn't really care about money. It sounds like this girl cares about it a great deal. Like Cad said that his wife makes a fraction what he makes but I doubt she complains that he pays more bills.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Or one that doesn't really care about money. It sounds like this girl cares about it a great deal. Like Cad said that his wife makes a fraction what he makes but I doubt she complains that he pays more bills.
Shit, my wife's car cost more than she makes in a year, and she couldn't even afford our mortgage. She gives no fucks. But we've been together since we were teenagers so she doesn't see it as "I pay bills" she sees it as us together, which it is. She does a lot of shit I don't do, I do shit she doesn't do, it's a team.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
My impression is that she cares more about being "in the loop" and treated like a partner. Dating for 3 years with only a vague idea of the financial realities of the householdwouldbe disturbing to any woman interested in being treated like an equal. A woman content with being a sextoy wouldn't care to know the details since she would, like all of us, pick up enough circumstantial evidence from Eomer's life to know that her needs would be met.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Shit, my wife's car cost more than she makes in a year, and she couldn't even afford our mortgage. She gives no fucks. But we've been together since we were teenagers so she doesn't see it as "I pay bills" she sees it as us together, which it is. She does a lot of shit I don't do, I do shit she doesn't do, it's a team.
Your wife also actually has a career and isn't a student. She probably doesn't care because she has a good life that's made better by you, she feels validated in her own work. Eomer's woman is still struggling to even see if she'll get to that point. I don't think it's about a monetary amount so much as feeling like she contributes something, period.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Your wife also actually has a career and isn't a student. She probably doesn't care because she has a good life that's made better by you, she feels validated in her own work. Eomer's woman is still struggling to even see if she'll get to that point. I don't think it's about a monetary amount so much as feeling like she contributes something, period.
Thats on the woman not on Eomer though. He's not holding her down or preventing her success. Only her own choices are preventing her success. Acting like she's unhappy with him because she's not succeeding through no fault of his is some goddamn princess-y bullshit.

Khane

Thats on the woman not on Eomer though. He's not holding her down or preventing her success. Only her own choices are preventing her success. Acting like she's unhappy with him because she's not succeeding through no fault of his is some goddamn princess-y bullshit.
You're right. But he also chose to date a student when he probably should have known better. But what does the single guy know?! He took part in many conversations in here, including the who should pay what for rent and all that good stuff. He was living in ignorant bliss!

iannis

Musty Nester
I just expect my girlfriend (when I have one) to be someone that's worth spending money on.

I mean that's all it is. If she's feeling really self conscious about it maybe tell her "it's not so much what you do, it's just what you are. You're a woman I am quite fond of and you're more important than a slip of paper".

Not that that will make her feel any better about it, actually. Cause that's halfway a fucked up thing to tell a person. It certainly won't help her out with any "I'm not pulling my weight" issues she might be going through. But I mean fuck, whatever, the bald truth is the bald truth.

Ask her why she sucks your dick. I mean any dick would do, you know. What's so special about YOUR particular dick? That's all it is.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I, personally, would be somewhat reluctant to date someone going for a doctorate. That is a ton of time and a ton of adult life not actually being in the real world. I would be nervous about how that person would react when they suddenly have to go to work 40 hours a week and put up with work related bullshit all the time after being in academia their entire life. But that is my own personal problem.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That doesn't really have much to do with you, it has to do with her. Remind me again what she's doing for a living or studying to do?
She works 4 days a week at a rehabilitation hospital. The hospital does a wide range of things, but she specifically is working as a psychometrist on an autism research study. She does assessments of kids with autism, organizes research, and so on.

Khane_sl said:
That's ridiculous man why would you continue to help her out if you broke up? Maybe that's part of the problem, she feels you're a whipping post with her? If a woman is attracted to a man because of how he interacts with people and then he interacts with her in a completely different way that could cause issues. Would you just blindly help out anyone else in your life financially?
Not blindly, no. But if a good friend fell on rough times I'd help them out, yes.

Dr. Mario_sl said:
Sounds like she feels like what she does with her life doesn't matter to you. Like if she failed out of school and just stayed at your place all day you'd be cool with it. Just call her a dumb cunt next time she gets a bad grade. Problem solved.
Nah, I wouldn't put up with a chick who just sits at home or who wasn't pursuing some sort of a career or education for herself. She knows that. As far as bad grades, I'm pretty sure she only gets A's and A+'s. Not much opportunity there!

Tenks_sl said:
And yeah you can say "Well don't accept the money!" But I'm sure Eomer phrased in a way where it wasn't a question. He was going to give her to money like it or not.
No, I've always ultimately left it up to her. With the car she ended up fixated on one she couldn't afford to finance on her own. Prior to that I'd offered to help but she'd said no, she wanted to do it on her own. But when she came across "Trixie" and realized her finance limits, she then changed her mind and asked me to help. With the CC payment she had been pretty ornery for a few days and when she finally spilled the beans that she was maxed out and not able to make ends meet anymore, I offered to cut her a check and she accepted with the promise that she'd pay me back soon (which I privately scoffed at, but earnestly accepted). Had she declined I wouldn't have pressed. With the other few thousand, it was mostly for tuition late this summer after she'd been off her regular job to do the practicum, so again she literally had zero money and needed a grand or two to pay tuition and buy books. She asked if she could put it on my CC, I cheerfully said sure no problem and didn't say a thing about it otherwise.

Picasso_sl said:
Cooking may be a way she could contribute. You can ask for her specific recipes and compliment excessively.

Although, I kind of think it's bad to manipulate her into feeling valuable...it may be good long term.
She already cooks dinner 5 or 6 nights a week, and occasionally makes me a lunch to take to work. Every now and then I'll ask why we haven't eaten X or Y in awhile and she'll make it a few days later. And of course I always say it's good (because it is) and thank her. And honestly, in terms of the expectations, it almost feels caveman-esque to say "I expect you to have dinner on the table when I get home". If she wants to do that, great. If not, I can fend for myself or we can go out. She also does all the laundry, and most of the cleaning (we have a cleaner come every month or so). Which I'm all super grateful for, because I hate doing all that shit. I told her I really appreciate all that stuff, but again I have a hard time saying that I "expect" it because that feels so 1950's, especially when she's working 30 hours a week and doing school work for roughly the same.

Eidal_sl said:
Eomer, off the cuff here I think an issue may be that society doesn't recognize many roles for women in a long-term relationship other than wife/partner or girlfriend/sextoy. The girlfriend status is appropriate for a few years, but I think many women feel that, drawn out for a long period, it becomes somewhat stigmatic. What's wrong with her (or you) that marriage isn't suitable? is a perfectly reasonable question that she may have been stressed out about. I know, without a doubt, that if I had not had proposed to my when I did (about 2 years into knowing her) that eventually it would have stressed her out to the point where she would have, ultimately, either forced the question with me or left.

You mentioned repeatedly that she wants to feel like a peer and doesn't; this is indicative of a person of character, they want to feel productive and respected. As it stands and without further knowledge of the two of you, I would look towards her wondering about her future (with or without you) and the idea that after a few more years you'll dump her for a younger woman (upgraded sextoy) or a woman you actually look at as a peer (someone that you respect). Since, ultimately, you haven't proposed and shes likely old-fashioned enough to expect you to do so. That this hasn't come up in three years is a red flag for a woman aware of how the world gets progressively more cruel towards women as they age while men concurrently rise in stature.
Yeah, you may have a point, I'm not sure. Next time we sit down to discuss this stuff I'm going to point blank ask her if that's what she wants or not. Honestly at this point if I dropped to one knee and proposed to her, I don't really know what her answer would be. It's 50/50 that she'd say yes or no.

Eidal_sl said:
I think many women feel that if they bring up a marriage discussion in any serious sense that they would feel that they're potentially coercing the man into an engagement which would absolutely tarnish the entire ritual.
I appreciate your input, but I don't think she would feel that way. She's pretty non-traditional in that respect. But maybe I'm totally misreading that.

Tenks_sl said:
Or one that doesn't really care about money. It sounds like this girl cares about it a great deal.
No, I don't think she does care about money a great deal, in isolation. She cares about it in terms of the dynamics of our relationship. Again, she's quite frugal and in a lot of ways pretty ignorant of money. But right now she's flat broke and financially dependent on me, and feeling guilty about it.

Khane_sl said:
Yeah, that's basically it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well the work related bullshit is a little bit different when you have a doctorate. There's plenty of bullshit involved in getting that doctorate, too. The type of person who is driven to get one has analogues, and they've pretty much already decided to put up with it.

Now if they had to work some bullshit schlep dead end job. Yep. It would break them, and it would break them quick. I would be very concerned indeed about someone with a doctorate in creative basket weaving.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You're right. But he also chose to date a student when he probably should have known better. But what does the single guy know?! He took part in many conversations in here, including the who should pay what for rent and all that good stuff. He was living in ignorant bliss!
When we met she was actually in the process of applying for clinical psychology placements across the country, none of which were in Edmonton. She was waitressing at a couple places and volunteering at the University with one of her psych professors on a research program to polish her resume. So if anything the relationship started with a very large possibility of ending fairly soon if she got accepted anywhere. She found out she didn't get accepted to any of them about 3 months in to the relationship. At that point she started applying for jobs in the psychology field, mostly in regards to autism research or assistance programs for families. She did that for a year and after hearing about the child and education psychology program from a co-worker, applied to that and got in.

But yeah, at the start of the relationship she was the best friend of one of my good friend's girlfriend (now wife). She'd just broken up with her previous boyfriend and they figured that while we probably wouldn't be compatible long term that we could at least have some fun before she shipped off to whatever school she got in to. As it turned out we got along great from the start, maybe because both of us are just good people even if we're not super compatible nor do we share a ton of common interests. But perhaps we're not a good fit for the long haul, I dunno.

Tenks_sl said:
I, personally, would be somewhat reluctant to date someone going for a doctorate. That is a ton of time and a ton of adult life not actually being in the real world. I would be nervous about how that person would react when they suddenly have to go to work 40 hours a week and put up with work related bullshit all the time after being in academia their entire life. But that is my own personal problem.
It's a master's, and through distance/correspondence. I think even she would admit that it's barely a master's. I have no doubt that she'll adjust to whatever job she ends up in just fine. Again, she's already working 4 days a week at a large rehabilitation and research hospital, so it shouldn't come as a shock to her system.

Khane

When we met she was actually in the process of applying for clinical psychology placements across the country, none of which were in Edmonton. She was waitressing at a couple places and volunteering at the University with one of her psych professors on a research program to polish her resume. So if anything the relationship started with a very large possibility of ending fairly soon if she got accepted anywhere. She found out she didn't get accepted to any of them about 3 months in to the relationship. At that point she started applying for jobs in the psychology field, mostly in regards to autism research or assistance programs for families. She did that for a year and after hearing about the child and education psychology program from a co-worker, applied to that and got in.

But yeah, at the start of the relationship she was the best friend of one of my good friend's girlfriend (now wife). She'd just broken up with her previous boyfriend and they figured that while we probably wouldn't be compatible long term that we could at least have some fun before she shipped off to whatever school she got in to. As it turned out we got along great from the start, maybe because both of us are just good people even if we're not super compatible nor do we share a ton of common interests. But perhaps we're not a good fit for the long haul, I dunno.
Well I think we've found the issue gentleman.

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe you should just set her up a loan or something. Because insecurity really can turn into resentment without either of you meaning for it to or wanting it to.

You've already got a spreadsheet set up. Let her know that if she wants to start keeping a tab that is a thing that can happen.

And then, obviously, fucking cheat. Obviously she's not retarded, but you've already said she doesn't have a head for cash money. Subtract the interest instead of adding it.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, thats what it sounds like to me. You said she just had a friend get married, she is probably feeling like while her friend was getting married, assume-ably getting/recently got a place together with her fiance/now husband, and living her life she has spent all this time in school and what does she have to show for it other than a mountain of debt. Didn't you say she moved in with you? She probably resents that a bit even if its just sub-conscience in that she feels like its your place and not "our" place because you didn't pick it out together.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
How old is she Eomer vs how old are you?
mures_sl said:
Yeah, thats what it sounds like to me. You said she just had a friend get married, she is probably feeling like while her friend was getting married, assume-ably getting/recently got a place together with her fiance/now husband, and living her life she has spent all this time in school and what does she have to show for it other than a mountain of debt. Didn't you say she moved in with you? She probably resents that a bit even if its just sub-conscience in that she feels like its your place and not "our" place because you didn't pick it out together.
34 vs 27. The friend who got married is my age. As far as the "our" place thing, yes, I lived there 8 years before she moved in about two years ago. A few times I got in trouble when I referred to it as my place, but I've gotten better at saying "our". One thing I did to make her feel like it's her place as well as mine was get a really nice, custom millwork desk and book shelf built along a wall that wasn't being used. That way she has her own place to study, work, and keep her books instead of using my computer desk or the kitchen table or whatever (it's an open floor plan loft, so there's no office or den or anything like that).

Khane_sl said:
Well I think we've found the issue gentleman.
I said maybe we weren't compatible! Honestly we get along together great, and I think in that respect we are compatible. Mainly I was meaning that we don't really share a lot of hobbies/interests. She basically has none because her entire adult life she's been going to school and working her ass off to support herself, since her parents are both kind of fuckups and couldn't offer much in that regard. I play/watch hockey, like to go skiing in the winter, and game a little bit when I can. But we both like dining out, she likes cooking and I like eating her cooking, we both want to do more traveling (but can't because of her school schedule), we both like hiking/camping in the summer (but again, the school schedule). She's taken a couple ski lessons and has had fun learning, so we intend on getting out for that a few days, but again school gets in the way. So we've got some common interests. But no, we aren't the kind of couple who will do absolutely everything together, but I don't think that means we're fundamentally doomed. That's how most couples operate, from what I see.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Like when she couldn't pay for groceries? I probably wouldn't let that fly, personally. She's a human. She has no expenses outside of normal human student expenses. It sounds like she has no cash. I would have been like "Well, how are you going to pay for this lettuce?" But I'm also an asshole.
Paying off her credit card debt was well meaning, but a huge mistake. Helping her pay off the credit card debt, with her making meaningful contributions to the pay-down, is a useful financial exercise. Paying off credit card debt on the spot leads to more credit card debt 100% of the time. Which we've already seen here. Honestly, it sounds like the car situation was mishandled. Maybe she was looking for Eomer to step in and give her some guidance when she was clearly over-reaching for the car. Maybe she wasn't, and is being retroactively resentful about it. Who knows.

It sounds weird and it is a wealthy person's problem, but Eomer: you DON'T have any expectations for her. If she screws up ruinously, daddy warbucks Eomer steps in and smooths it out without consequences. At some point, if you aren't a vapid entitled cunt, you are going to feel pretty worthless. So that is actually a positive sign for her, I think.

That said, it may be fixable. It sounds like a lack of involvement. Like, she wants Eomer's help to improve herself rather than have Eomer passively solve her screw-ups with money that means little to him. Or such is my armchair guess from reading the text wall.