Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What mom spends 14hrs a week cooking? The kids getting souffl? every night? CEO work, really?

Honest question here for the femalez. Every stay at home mom I've ever met complains endlessly about how hard/thankless their job is (including my mom growing up as well as my stepmom), and I always ask the obvious question "why don't you work and just pay for a nanny/maid?". Obviously there is the pragmatic reason such as "I have four kids under the age of 10 and could only haul in 40K a year, so it isn't worth it", but most of the time it's more along the lines that "My precious Timmy will grow up to be a sociopathic mass murderer unless I am present 24/7". I may get flamed for this, but I hate the use of the word "hard" in reference to housework/child rearing, and I hear it all the time. There are differences between hard, thankless, and shitty. Calculus is hard. Doing laundry and changing diapers is just shitty.. I've told every woman I have ever seriously dated that I don't want her cleaning toilets and running laundry all day, and that with the exception of maybe a year off post childbirth I expect her to have a job- not because we would necessarily need the money, but simply because a) you can hire barely literate people at 9 bucks an hour that do a fantastic job at cleaning/laundry, and I feel my potential wife's time is worth more than $9 an hour and b) I feel that the extended (5+ years) stay at home mom suffers from some serious confidence/self-worth issues. I'm no longer marketable, I don't feel pretty anymore because all I do is run around the house bedraggled doing laundry and feeding the kids, my husband earns all the money, etc.. Entirely subjective, but the most stable happy relationships I've seen aren't where the wife stays home, but when both partners have jobs and the "power" is equally distributed.
There are women who arent like that. My mom would of been the dream girl for any guy; loved to stay at home cook, clean, take care of the house. My dad was dumbass though and didnt see the woman he had so he cheated on her religiously which of course ended up as a divorce.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I think it should be RR charity time. Lindz, you free those beauties and we donate to the charity of your choice. It's for the children.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dude are you a fuckin' noob? Do you even grift bro?

On this forum we don't donate to charities, we donate directly to the source. And the currency is xbox360s and Vicodin. Jesus Christ man, seriously.

fuck... man...

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Bullshit. Dream life is finding a woman who makes even more money than I do and paying other people to do all the tedious house chores. Fuck being the sole income for a household. That's way more pressure than I need in my life, I want the freedom to switch jobs without the risk of financially ruining my family if it doesn't pan out.
dream life for me, bro. me as househusband and my wife work from her comfy job. i do some part time and stuff.

but that shit isn't attractive lol.

yeah, though, my mom was pretty traditional and stuff but slightly lazy. my dad always wanted her to work and they would fight over this shit. my dad eventually found a woman, who you'd say is the type you'd want. that was some long fucking affair though. think my dad wanted to stick by us until we graduated and found our place and then divorce my mother.

she of course wasn't gonna take that shit.

yeah, modern family sure is complicated.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There are women who arent like that. My mom would of been the dream girl for any guy; loved to stay at home cook, clean, take care of the house. My dad was dumbass though and didnt see the woman he had so he cheated on her religiously which of course ended up as a divorce.
How old are you though? Your mother grew up in a different era, where housewives were actually housewives and took that shit seriously. It was actually their job and they made damn sure they were good at it. The type of woman who would lambaste her peers for neglect of duty if she would have ever saw something Facebook or a Cherry Berry. It also wasn't as hard to live on a single income back then. Times have changed. They didn't have all the gadgets and modern technology that essentially makes that "job" an afterthought. Non-iron shirts and set it and forget meals didn't exist when you were growing up (if you're over 30). Not to mention that it was difficult for a woman to be taken seriously in the workforce.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Im 26, mother is 60. Yeah youre right though. She came from a pretty poor country family and have 10 other brothers and sisters. They just dont make them like they used to.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Dude are you a fuckin' noob? Do you even grift bro?

On this forum we don't donate to charities, we donate directly to the source. And the currency is xbox360s and Vicodin. Jesus Christ man, seriously.

fuck... man...
Do not let pride obscure your view of the glorious forbidden melons.

Shall I paraphrase Sun Tzu?

"Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions...He who can modify his tactics in relation to [the melons], and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain."

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That sounds exactly like my mother. Our entire childhood (actually after my brother was born, she worked when I was a child) my mother was a stay at home mom and loved it. She always had our place spotless, always had food made, always did the shopping and took care of us kids. My dad worked long hours and we barely scraped by. It wasn't until a few years ago that he was promoted and started making $100k+/year (elevator mechanic, now state inspector). He ended up allegedly cheating on my mother. I say allegedly because he always says he didn't while she says she has proof.

He does alright for himself now, but he probably regrets whatever choices he may have made. He owns a house now, but he lives by himself and got a shit deal on it. His credit was destroyed by the divorce and he was paying A LOT for child support for years ($500/week.. not court ordered, he is a good guy like that).

Hope I am never in that situation. I don't believe in cheating, so there's that. Been hit with that stick a couple times myself.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Basically the Stay-at-home-mom salary should just be the base 40 hours, the 37K. Parents that work only need someone taking care of their kid during the ~40 hours a week that they are working. It's not like us working parents come home from work and then don't have to do anything with the kid. We work 40 hours, and then also put in that 54 hours a week that the picture estimates. That extra 54 hours is happening whether you work, or stay at home. It's the first 40 hours that is the only difference.

lindz

#DDs
It also depends on just how much the mom is doing. Some of you mentioned your mothers that would take on the majority of the work because your father was the one bringing in the paycheck. I know it is not as standard today, most men participate in the work at home when they are at home, but it still happens. These moms take on more of a burden than the stay at home mom who watches the kids from 9-5 then helps with half the house work. Obviously it can go the other way around too, men can take on the burden of the housework and it should not be calculated into their wage, but just saying there are those that take on more than others.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I'm ambivalent. Before I met my wife, I broke up with a long-time girlfriend because she had no aspirations and very little professional drive. She basically wanted to discard her education and stay at home and have me take care of her financially.

When I married and my wife was pregnant with our first child, I started to have a different perspective. I felt that that simplicity and convenience that having her run the home and raise the kids full time would have brought to our lives would have been a good trade. She didn't agree.
cool.png

Our kids are 7 and 11 now and we are both still chugging at full-time engineering jobs. I'd still love to come home to clean and organized home, kids with finished homework, dinner ready, etc. Just not going to happen for us; she has too much ambition and, my salary being about double hers, it doesn't make sense for me to be Mr. Mom.

There are some "his chores" (snowblower, trash), some "her chores" (laundry, shower cleaning), but we split things like cooking, homework, vacuum pretty evenly. The only real conflict comes when one person is feeling a little lazy when the other wants to get some shit done.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
How old are you though? Your mother grew up in a different era, where housewives were actually housewives and took that shit seriously. It was actually their job and they made damn sure they were good at it. The type of woman who would lambaste her peers for neglect of duty if she would have ever saw something Facebook or a Cherry Berry. It also wasn't as hard to live on a single income back then. Times have changed. They didn't have all the gadgets and modern technology that essentially makes that "job" an afterthought. Non-iron shirts and set it and forget meals didn't exist when you were growing up (if you're over 30). Not to mention that it was difficult for a woman to be taken seriously in the workforce.
Yup. My Italian stepmother (North American raised) growing up was one of those stay at home moms that constantly complained about her life, despite the fact that she insisted on staying home while my dad preferred she worked. She'd always complain how hard her job was taking care of her 2 kids, even though I'd come home every day at 3:30 and she'd either be napping or watching soaps. Now HER mom (my step-grandma I guess?) was from the "old country" (Sicily to be exact), and was fucking hardcore. She OWNED her role-- house was always immaculate, every weekend she would wake up at 6 am to cook a massive feast of hand made gnocchi and five other courses, and would look on with horror if I dared try and help cleanup. Anyways, I remember my step-grandma being over one night visiting and my dad had just arrived home form work, and he didn't even have the chance to take off his sport jacket before my stepmom started to hassle him to help her out in the kitchen because she had a "rough day". A minor fight ensued because my dad said something along the lines like "can you give me a few minutes to relax first'. After my dad shook his head and fled into his bedroom, I shit you not my step-grandma fucking back-hands my stepmom across the face and starts railing at her in a mix of English/Italian. "how did my daughter become such a lazy spoiled brat?? I cooked for your brother, you and your father growing up, and I would have to walk to the market to get a chicken butchered and pluck the feathers myself. Do you think I had a big refrigerator, washing machine? Do you think I got to go to the dry cleaners or had disposable diapers? How dare you talk to your husband like that after work."

Yes they don't make them like that anymore unless you want to import one from either Asia, India, or Eastern Europe

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My mom was born and raised in Poland. She brought me over here when i was 8 and she was 28. She got a factory job and worked her ass off. Then she met my step dad and became a housewife, had 2 more kids... But she is oldschool all the way. She cleans, cooks awesome, even sews. The house is fucking spotless all the time. She even irons shit, imagine that! I cant even remember last time my wife whipped out the iron.

I guess im just used to that. I remember even when I was a young adult, living in their basement, she would go down there and clean my shit up, do my laundry...etc...

My wife? LOL, she would burn fucking water for tea when I met her. She survived on eating soup out of cans and making macaroni and cheese. But knowing her parents now, its no wonder. Thats how they live as well. Her old mans claim to fame is ketchup spaghetti! She tells me when her mom cooked, she used to give it to the dog under the table it was so awful. So I really dont blame her. You are greatly what environment you grew up in. I remember the first time I made a pot roast when we were still dating, and she was amazed how good it was. She told me that her moms pot roast was like shoe leather and she thought all roast was this way.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There are some "his chores" (snowblower, trash), some "her chores" (laundry, shower cleaning), but we split things like cooking, homework, vacuum pretty evenly. The only real conflict comes when one person is feeling a little lazy when the other wants to get some shit done.
What's funny about the shower cleaning being a 'her chore' is that depending on the cleaning agents, nature of the people being cleaned and the tub surface it can be one of the most physically demanding chores there is, lol.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What's funny about the shower cleaning being a 'her chore' is that depending on the cleaning agents, nature of the people being cleaned and the tub surface it can be one of the most physically demanding chores there is, lol.
What the hell do you do in your shower that you consider cleaning it "physically demanding"?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
He said "nature of the people being cleaned". We're talking about Tuco, here.

rrr_img_61653.jpg

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
What the hell do you do in your shower that you consider cleaning it "physically demanding"?
Yeah, it's pretty much spray and wipe. It's more physically challenging to operate the carpet shampooer. For whatever reason, that's just one of the things she does that I never touch.