Marvel Universe stuff

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I just don't get Ant Man. If its Pym then maybe, but not Lang. The only thing I can come up with is a reason to add another hero for A3. Its almost like "hey we have this guy who really wants to do Antman and is super passionate about the character. OK let's do it! Huh? He backed out? Oh well can't stop now. Onward!"

You'd almost have to put an infinity gem or something to make it fit or else what's the point?

Again... Hope I'm wrong...

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think the choice of Scott Lang could be something else that leads into civil war. He was a thief, if they go with that and he steals something before turning good. He might be the first hero with a secret identity that is not 100% trusted. That could be use as one of the initial reason why we can trust heroes in mask.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its almost like "hey we have this guy who really wants to do Antman and is super passionate about the character. OK let's do it! Huh? He backed out? Oh well can't stop now. Onward!"
That's exactly what it is as far as I can tell. He spent the better part of a decade fighting to get it made. When he started the MCU wasn't the juggernaut it is now, by the time they agreed his vision for the movie just wouldn't fit in the larger universe. So creative differences lead to him leaving.

Edgar seems like a very reasonable guy every time I've heard him speak, but I can see how having this passion project somewhat commandeered would chafe. Sucks for him, but at least he got the ball rolling I guess.

As for details, I'm not gonna speculate on why it will or won't work. At this point I just sit back and let the warm gooey Marvel Entertainment goodness drizzle all over my taut body.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
As cool as all of this is... I, for some reason, can't bring myself to give a shit about Ant Man. I am a huge comic book type and I have never even bothered to waste my time with Ant Man. At least I am sure the movie will be cool to watch though!
I know little about Ant-Man and even less about Lang, so I don't think this would be a movie I'd be very excited about if it wasn't for the fact that it'll likely be Marvel's heist movie. Heist movies are one of my favorite genres, so I'm really looking forward to seeing Marvel's approach. But, I still can't help but wonder how well Ant-Man and Paul Rudd, in particular, will fit into the Marvel Universe. Marvel's track record has been pretty stellar over the past few years, so my concerns are likely unwarranted, but I can't help but wonder if Marvel's insistence that all of the properties they have the rights to have to exist in the MCU will eventually start painting them into a corner. I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a standalone movie every once in a while.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I am thinking of Ant-Man as an action comedy heist movie starring Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Evangeline Lily. I still have hope for it, they pulled off GotG and that's a way bigger risk than Ant-Man. Plus even if Wright left there really seems to be an amicable break up there. Adam McKay only dropped out because of other commitments and he's actually scheduled to direct one of the up and coming Marvel movies.

As both a Marvel and Wright fan, I just think that if this had been before the MCU really got cranking, Wright would still be in it. However, Marvel does have a lot more invested than Wright does, when it concerns the impact of the movie on the overall picture.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think that having cameos here and there in every movie is great. I don't see why standalones with one cameo aren't okay. But I haven't been following this whole release too much. Is the plan to have some grand cinematic universe the likes of which has never been done?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think that having cameos here and there in every movie is great. I don't see why standalones with one cameo aren't okay. But I haven't been following this whole release too much. Is the plan to have some grand cinematic universe the likes of which has never been done?
That sounds like an amazing idea. I really hope someone has that idea and runs with it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And Sony is doing it based on their rapidly deteriorating Spider-Man franchise that gets worse and earns less money with every iteration!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's a shame that marvel doesn't get in on this. The west coast avengers would be a great universe to get in on

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Maybe when everything gets stale in 2022 Squirrel Girl will come in and reboot the franchise by killing all the villains off

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sorry maybe I was misunderstanding the argument here. I was under the impression that the tie ins of everything were preventing standalones within the MCU. Is this not the case?

Like what was said about the original Ant Man concept being canned because it didn't fit in the greater vision. But they went ahead with it anyway in a different way.

j00t

Probably will depend on how big hero 6 does. Also, there's a limited amount of money (or at least there was) to make these movies. They want their resources to be building towards the whole. The more standalone movies they have, the less opportunity they have to build the universe

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not to mention standalone stuff will confuse the audience. Can't wait til DC has their Flash movie that has nothing to do with their Flash TV show that's on at the same time. Multiple continuities are bad enough in comics.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think standalones would confuse audiences anymore than X-Men, Spider-Man, and The Avengers all being in separate universes currently does.

j00t

Confuse? No. But it did irritate the audience. People keep asking why wolverine and spider-man aren't in the avengers movies. Heck, people keep asking why ironman didn't show up in cap2.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
So I just popped in Ironman and when he wakes up as a hostage after the opening scene, the terrorists are recording the video and behind then is the 12 rings logo.... Never saw that before. Probably common knowledge but I was impressed.

Edit: my bad... 10 Rings