Marvel Universe stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5LLBKBH4udb0wJveefs1acQ2pW9.jpg

Title: Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe

Genre: TV Movie, Documentary

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Kevin Feige, Dan Buckley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon, Stephen Broussard, Clark Gregg, Samuel L. Jackson, Louis D'Esposito, Axel Alonso, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Latcham, Alan Fine, Kenneth Branagh, Craig Kyle, Victoria Alonso, Tom Hiddleston, Joe Johnston, Dominic Cooper, Tom Morello, George R. R. Martin, Bobby Moynihan, Shane Black, Brad Winderbaum, Eric Pearson, Maximiliano Hernández, Hayley Atwell, Drew Pearce, Jeph Loeb, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jed Whedon, Ming-Na Wen, Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Robert Redford, Christopher Markus, Sebastian Stan, James Gunn, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Chris Hardwick, Jeffrey Bell, Geoff Boucher, Jason Hillhouse, Meghan Leon, Louis Leterrier, Anthony Mackie, Stephen McFeely, Jeff McNiel, Nate Moore, Joe Quesada, Jeremy Renner, Alan Taylor, Emily VanCamp, David Wiese, Edgar Wright

Release: 2014-03-18

Runtime: 43

Plot: A look at the story behind Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage from all of the Marvel films, the Marvel One-Shots and "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2.17 star(s) Rating: 2.17/5 6 Votes
Title: Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe

Genre: TV Movie, Documentary

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Kevin Feige, Dan Buckley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon, Stephen Broussard, Clark Gregg, Samuel L. Jackson, Louis D'Esposito, Axel Alonso, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Latcham, Alan Fine, Kenneth Branagh, Craig Kyle, Victoria Alonso, Tom Hiddleston, Joe Johnston, Dominic Cooper, Tom Morello, George R. R. Martin, Bobby Moynihan, Shane Black, Brad Winderbaum, Eric Pearson, Maximiliano Hernández, Hayley Atwell, Drew Pearce, Jeph Loeb, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jed Whedon, Ming-Na Wen, Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Robert Redford, Christopher Markus, Sebastian Stan, James Gunn, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Chris Hardwick, Jeffrey Bell, Geoff Boucher, Jason Hillhouse, Meghan Leon, Louis Leterrier, Anthony Mackie, Stephen McFeely, Jeff McNiel, Nate Moore, Joe Quesada, Jeremy Renner, Alan Taylor, Emily VanCamp, David Wiese, Edgar Wright

Release: 2014-03-18

Runtime: 43

Plot: A look at the story behind Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage from all of the Marvel films, the Marvel One-Shots and "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just a catchall thread for Marvel U stuff, not meant to replace individual movie threads. More speculation stuff than specific stuff I guess.

Marvel's Kevin Feige confirms that Edgar Wright's Ant-Man will begin Marvel Movie Universe Phase 3 & that Doctor Strange maybe in the Pipeline

So Edgar Wright showed a test reel proof of concept thing he did for Ant Man, to show what they could do with the size changing in action, at E3. I haven't looked for it since the summer, but universal reviews say it was pretty bad ass. Guy turns tiny and runs up the barrel of a gun and shit. Marvel said we'd see this eventually, you can seean artistic viewer's storyboard for it now. And if the movie is following the "Irredeemable Ant-Man" story like I think it's supposed to it should be pretty great.

I love the scope of what Marvel is doing. Making this whole universe a reality is absolutely insane. They're making everything acceptable within this world they've built and audiences are accepting it. No pulling punches like Fox with the X-Men movies, where they pussed out on Phoenix being alien or Juggernaut's powers being mystical. It leads to some silly stuff like the "Tesseract" just being this random MacGuffin that does...stuff...sometimes, but it also means we can have Thor and the entire Norse mythology and they can do a Doctor Strange movie without making excuses. Magic is just a thing that can happen in this giant universe they're making.

I guess the Phase 2, Phase 3 etc stuff is what all leads up to each Avengers movie? Or whatever united Universe movies they might be later down the line I guess. The upcoming Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies will be Phase 2.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
As for the Phase approach to releaseing movies that Marvel has set forth...

The big three Marvel teams in my limited comics knowledge is FF4, X-Men, and Avengers. Unfortunately for Marvel, the first two are out of their hands. It's always going to be a nagging "what if". What if Marvel had their act together and could produce these movies from the get go 15 years ago and not have to rely on other studios and partners (X-Men, Spider-man, FF4)? Not only would you have continuity within those movies but you could set up something humongous like the Infinity Gauntlet or Secret Wars.

As much as I liked the First Class and how excited I am that they are bridging the next X-Men movie with the cast from the first trilogy, it's still a bit hollow to me, because I know they can never be incorporated into the current Marvel movies without the studios agreeing to play nice. Such a shame.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
As much as Doctor Strange has been a long time favorite, it probably almost works better as like a TV series* or its own little thing than as a major part of the Marvel Universe. It just opens the door to too much wierdness.

*A cool, subtle supernatural show with him helping out people with supernatural problems, just a guy in a trenchcoat with a few tricks out of a manhattan flat may be neat. Only every once in a while do you save budget up for a two episode "ultra magic fight!" or "travel to another plane of crazyness" or somthing.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
While I'm all for the same thing, they did that show already (albeit in Chicago). It was called The Dresden Files.

The magic in Doc Strange is heavy duty acid trip visuals, dunno how well that would translate to TV / Film without becoming tie-dyed vomit, and if they toned it way down to seem more 'real' it would turn into Dresden. Doc Strange just seems like a hard one to translate from paper to the screen. I could see his origin story making a decent film, but how would they follow it up?

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
He could easily become the portal to thanos, as the one with the power to get through space in a split second.

First you cameo him as a surgeon who in assignment of shield performs massive surgery on Thor, who has been in a fight with enchantress. He figures out he can't save him the "normal" way and that is where he reveals himself as the sorcerer supreme.

This way you already established magic with enchantress, wich would only work in a thor movie, and you give dr. Strange a small part in an established superhero series. Then move to a stand alone movie,wich starts off after the tor surgery where he tells nick fury and a round table of avengers on who he is and how he became sorcerer supreme. It only takes some minor canon changes, and you slowly usher in the magic and sorcery.

My guess who would play him, someone who is in his early 40's sophisticated and reserved but with a strong ego, not as big as starks though.looks wise, Jon hamm? Joseph fiennes?

Cristoph waltz would be possible, if he could lose the accent he could definitely sell it though.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just a catchall thread for Marvel U stuff, not meant to replace individual movie threads. More speculation stuff than specific stuff I guess.

Marvel's Kevin Feige confirms that Edgar Wright's Ant-Man will begin Marvel Movie Universe Phase 3 & that Doctor Strange maybe in the Pipeline

So Edgar Wright showed a test reel proof of concept thing he did for Ant Man, to show what they could do with the size changing in action, at E3. I haven't looked for it since the summer, but universal reviews say it was pretty bad ass. Guy turns tiny and runs up the barrel of a gun and shit. Marvel said we'd see this eventually, you can seean artistic viewer's storyboard for it now. And if the movie is following the "Irredeemable Ant-Man" story like I think it's supposed to it should be pretty great.

I love the scope of what Marvel is doing. Making this whole universe a reality is absolutely insane. They're making everything acceptable within this world they've built and audiences are accepting it. No pulling punches like Fox with the X-Men movies, where they pussed out on Phoenix being alien or Juggernaut's powers being mystical. It leads to some silly stuff like the "Tesseract" just being this random MacGuffin that does...stuff...sometimes, but it also means we can have Thor and the entire Norse mythology and they can do a Doctor Strange movie without making excuses. Magic is just a thing that can happen in this giant universe they're making.

I guess the Phase 2, Phase 3 etc stuff is what all leads up to each Avengers movie? Or whatever united Universe movies they might be later down the line I guess. The upcoming Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies will be Phase 2.
meh

It would seem as if Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel with phase three. I don't find Ant Man or Dr Strange to exciting, I never have.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My guess who would play him, someone who is in his early 40's sophisticated and reserved but with a strong ego, not as big as starks though.looks wise, Jon hamm? Joseph fiennes?

Cristoph waltz would be possible, if he could lose the accent he could definitely sell it though.
Seeing as how I fit all of those qualifications, I would be happy to play Dr. Strange.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
meh

It would seem as if Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel with phase three. I don't find Ant Man or Dr Strange to exciting, I never have.
Well, in the case of Ant-Man it's not so much that you love the character, especially if it's not Hank Pym and they do go with the Irredeemable stolen suit SHIELD grunt story. It's more that it's Edgar Wright making it and he's excited enough about the idea that he spent his own money to make a little teaser to show how it could work. My excitement is almost entirely based on his involvement.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Well, in the case of Ant-Man it's not so much that you love the character, especially if it's not Hank Pym and they do go with the Irredeemable stolen suit SHIELD grunt story. It's more that it's Edgar Wright making it and he's excited enough about the idea that he spent his own money to make a little teaser to show how it could work. My excitement is almost entirely based on his involvement.
Give this fucker a +nets. Edgar Wright is one of my favorite directors. He did a good job with Spaced and Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead were the fucking bitchtits. I even liked Scott Pilgrim very much and I could give two shits about the story or characters. Edgar's vision is what made that movie watchable. Given his passion for the Ant-Man project and his directorial abilities, this is one of the rare cases where I'll go into a movie knowing I'll like it.
Also, there was an Ant-Man comic a couple of years ago, I only read it in passing, so forgive the generalities, but the guy was a low-level SHIELD agent who found the helmet and used it for all sorts of shitty, selfish purposes. Spying on the SHEILD ladies' room, trying to steal money and eventually banging his recently-dead best friend's grieving girlfriend, that sort of thing. It was pretty good.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, there was an Ant-Man comic a couple of years ago, I only read it in passing, so forgive the generalities, but the guy was a low-level SHIELD agent who found the helmet and used it for all sorts of shitty, selfish purposes. Spying on the SHEILD ladies' room, trying to steal money and eventually banging his recently-dead best friend's grieving girlfriend, that sort of thing. It was pretty good.
That would be the Irredeemable Ant-Man I was referring to.

F1f6l5O.jpg

ZYnOm4W.jpg

He did eventually actually help people, but man what a shitbag to start. Which is what makes him good for a movie.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
So you did, apologies. Another thing I'm looking forward to is some of the B and C listers getting decent lower-budget movies under the Marvel banner. And perhaps among them, in a far-flung future I can only dream about, maybe Gambit will be redeemed from the stillbirth that was his appearance in Wolverine: Origins.

Sterling

El Presidente
So you did, apologies. Another thing I'm looking forward to is some of the B and C listers getting decent lower-budget movies under the Marvel banner. And perhaps among them, in a far-flung future I can only dream about, maybe Gambit will be redeemed from the stillbirth that was his appearance in Wolverine: Origins.
Gambit is still Fox so seems kind of unlikely.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database