Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Finally dug into this a bit last night - First thing i noticed was how terrible the UI was - Next i hated the cover system but tbh i dont remember MEs original system either but this doesnt feel the same. I made a female Ryder and when she started to run (without suit) i wondered to myself "Do people really look that weird when they run?"

The quality and polish is not there, and all of this makes me sad bc i was really hoping it would be legit in some ways outside of the combat. At any rate it was free so there is that and im still pretty early in the game and hope it will get better over time. I know this is harsh on it since im also playing HZD when not playing this, so i guess its not far to compare since HZD has given me some pretty high standards for the time being.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
They box you in on certain missions so you can't walk like 25m away from a mission area when there are massive amounts of enemies PAST the barrier engaging you in a firefight.

Then if an NPC calls to you mid fire fight the mission ends and game over if you don't get there in 3.6 seconds.

It sounds like the NPCs just start yelling random dialogue lines half the time. Volume mixing is horrible.

Soundtrack is way too understated. As an Audio Engineer, it honestly feel like some director choked the audio team into a 'minimalist, expansive' direction and fucked up the soundtrack. I don't know many professionals who would leave this many soundscapes completely empty or fully underwhelming this often .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I shouldn't be laughing everytime a piece of serious dialogue is exchanged. All these empty and misplaced expressions.

AND THIS KROGANS FUCKING LADYBOY LISP VOICE LOL LOL LOL

I'm going finish Horizon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I know this is harsh on it since im also playing HZD when not playing this, so i guess its not far to compare since HZD has given me some pretty high standards for the time being.

That's come up a couple times now... why would it be unfair to compare it to HZD? Is Mass-Effect any less a triple-A game, from a triple-A developer and released by a triple-A publisher than HZD?

It's bullshit to grade MEA on a curve as if its team was some kinda affirmative action hire full of retarded children. Did I miss some news where EA did NOT lavish Bioware with enough resources to polish this turd?

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vorph Vorph and Qhue Qhue , is the tide turning after playing more?
No, not really. The DA:I comparisons are accurate as far as combat and crafting goes. That makes that stuff "tolerable" provided you devote two skill slots to Overload and Incinerate (Flamethrower seems shitty), because the NPCs sure as fuck aren't going to handle shields and armor for you. I've been clinging onto Adept so far, but I think I'm just going to say fuck it and respec when I get home today.

For the rest, I keep helmets on "as equipped" in settings so I can't see facial animations planetside, I don't ask anyone about why they came to Andromeda because I don't give a damn about any of their background stories, and I mash the shit out of square the moment a female Krogan starts talking.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If it's like DA:I then I don't even want to play the series. One of the top 10 over hyped trash games of all time

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
You could stop at ME3. You'd have the added benefit of almost a decade's worth of fixes and patches.

If you stick with the same savefile and play it all through to the Citadel DLC's ending, it would prolly be more rewarding than how most ME fans played it over the years.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
That's come up a couple times now... why would it be unfair to compare it to HZD? Is Mass-Effect any less a triple-A game, from a triple-A developer and released by a triple-A publisher than HZD?

It's bullshit to grade MEA on a curve as if its team was some kinda affirmative action hire full of retarded children. Did I miss some news where EA did NOT lavish Bioware with enough resources to polish this turd?

Not sure, it just feels unfair? This game is not up to AAA standards it just feels incredibly unpolished and just not near the quality youd expect from a AAA quality game. I mean this reminds me of fuckin Brink! and i was hyped for that and then it just turned into puree shit.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not sure, it just feels unfair? This game is not up to AAA standards it just feels incredibly unpolished and just not near the quality youd expect from a AAA quality game. I mean this reminds me of fuckin Brink! and i was hyped for that and then it just turned into puree shit.

Yeah what he is saying is it shouldn't feel unfair to you. This game had just as much in the development process being given to it as Horizon. There are no excuses for how shitty this thing turned out to be. Especially given that Horizon is a completely new IP and exclusive on one console and is (Hopefully) outselling a massively known IP and developer in spades in revenue and quality. If anything, it would have been unfair to compare Horizon Zero Dawn to Mass Effect/Bioware.

To think that Horizon, a new IP, with a fairly unknown dev studio who only traditionally made playstation exclusive games just blew the doors off a developer house known for great games for the last 20 years with a well known IP across multiple market platform targets shows just how bad EA is as a publisher, how Bioware is no more, and how consumers at large need to follow the people, not the company, and tell EA to kiss their ass when it comes to using Bioware as a marketing term.

• 1Like

Vorph

Strictly speaking it's worse than DA:I combat because you only have 3 skills instead of 8, NPCs are much more limited as well (compared to DA:I where they had almost the same skill trees as the Inquisitor), and their AI seems worse because you want them to help you with combos and they usually don't. Also, they spend a lot of time dead even on Normal if you aren't constantly micromanaging their position, which is a pain because you can only designate an area for them to cover and not a specific cover spot to hide behind. Not that they'll stay in cover anyway, even if you take away their melee powers.

Last edited:

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah, having replayed DA: I with all the dlc not that long ago, this game is not even close to as good as that was. (another game where the DLC is better than the main game)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey that reminds me. Who got the $10 steam gift again? I am too lazy to look back. I need to PM them a code - which means I have to go to Best Buy or someplace to buy a card and PM them the code since I cannot do it online.

Vaclav

I shouldn't be laughing everytime a piece of serious dialogue is exchanged. All these empty and misplaced expressions.

AND THIS KROGANS FUCKING LADYBOY LISP VOICE LOL LOL LOL

I'm going finish Horizon.

That "ladyboy" is a she if you pay attention closer to dialogue, FYI. I still think it's an odd voice, but so many people seem to be mis-sexing them because of their leadership role/aggressiveness.

• 1Smuggly

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
BTW - while I'll agree the save system sucks while you're on narrative missions... it was ALWAYS that way on narrative missions in all the other ME's. Seems such an odd complaint to crop up now - I've hated it for ~10 years now.

I don't recall this at all. Narrative missions you could always save in between fights.

edit: actually I think I misunderstood, there are some fights like the aforementioned liaras elevator fight thing in ME1 that sucked, but nonetheless, I really don't recall the save system in ME1, 2, and 3 being much of an aggrivation. The fact lots of people are complaining about it in MEA tells me that there's something not right with it.