Mass stabbing at Pennsylvania high school

Chris

Potato del Grande
If everyone had knives then these victims could have defended themselves...

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
If everyone had knives then these victims could have defended themselves...
I know this is sarcastic, but I used to carry a large pocket knife around. There's no way I would have tried to knife fight a psychopath. Gotta look for an opportunity to fuck him up him when he's focused elsewhere (e.g. stabbing someone else).

Whoops, forgot we were doing it gamer style. My sneak/hide would need to be maxed for this encounter, otherwise I'm mashing the run button.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think I've ever seen this many bad jokes in a single thread. Impressive.

kudos

<Banned>
I'll bet if it was a gun there would have been less injuries. More people would have heard a gun shot and ran / took cover than some guy stabbing random people before they noticed.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'll bet if it was a gun there would have been less injuries. More people would have heard a gun shot and ran / took cover than some guy stabbing random people before they noticed.
Yeah 5 deaths is much better than 20 injuries, the number is smaller.

Sulrn

Deuces
I think his logic is fine, but I still think he's just wrong not stupid. Most users are more likely to hurt themselves with a knife than a gun.

I've been in the ER working on a guy who was shot 11 times in the back and still lived and had a 90% recovery. Could've had a similar event here. Kid was bad with knives, what's to say he wouldn't have been equally bad with dual .38's?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think his logic is fine, but I still think he's just wrong not stupid. Most users are more likely to hurt themselves with a knife than a gun.

I've been in the ER working on a guy who was shot 11 times in the back and still lived and had a 90% recovery. Could've had a similar event here. Kid was bad with knives,what's to say he wouldn't have been equally bad with dual .38's?
The fact that guns are far easier to use lethally than knives!?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think his point was that the kid was sneaking around and stabbing people and nobody knew what was going on because it was quiet. If they had heard a gunshot they probably would have run for the doors. It would be hard to shoot 21 people if everyone took off running after the first shot.

iannis

Musty Nester
The fact that guns are far easier to use lethally than knives!?
At range?

Because you don't miss with a knife. You may not inflict the wound you wanted to, but you don't miss. Knives don't kick. Knives don't produce a sound that people have learned to associate with extreme violence. You don't have to (but obviously can) train a man in the proper operation of a knife. A knife is only an extension of the hand. A gun is an extension of the eye.

"Easier" seems a bit too broad, is all. A gun is obviously a more powerful tool.

I do agree with the basic point. It just depends on what the meaning of "is" is, I guess. Easier is not the word I would have chosen.

Rime

<Donor>
America needs better mental health care and to work on removing the stigma attached to seeking help.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
At range?
Generally, a firearm is better both at range and in close quarter. I'm trained to use all sort of weaponry, and baring some exceptions, if I have the choice between shooting you in the face or stabbing you in the neck, you can expect lead flying your way. Same deal if I'm to cause injury at the torso or the guts.

The guy stabbed over 20 people and they are all still alive last I heard. It's not that easy to inflict deadly wounds with a knife. The standard rule to effectively damage organs is 6" of penetrations. Slashing wounds are incapacitating and scary because of the amount of blood, but they are rarely as lethal as penetrating wounds, especially if someone gives first aid. Either type require a fair amount of force, fat, muscles and bones actually offer a fair amount of resistance. Arteries aren't as easy to strike as one would think. A larger knife obviously offer more leverage and can be more traumatic than a firearm, but it's not exactly stealthy.

Also, knifes can fail to penetrate and get stuck in clothes, hit a rib leaving a minor wound when a deadly strike was expected, be dodged or blocked, your grip can slip and you cut your own fingers. Knifes miss plenty.