Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I didn't realize that YASV (Yet Another Special Variant) had a pink 70t Urbanmech in it, until I actually found it

1685389345317.png

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Found my Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries disc at parents house as we were cleaning it out. It might be 15 years old, but it beats the shit out of MW5. I can't wait to play again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
MW4 is abandonware at this point, you can download all of the MW4 versions pretty easily. Fair warning, they are jank with a mouse (require like a 30 fps cap to be even somewhat playable).

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I almost skipped this market. I literally thought to myself "It's probably another shitty hero I'll never use"

1686272590466.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I only ever played it on launch via Gamepass and it kinda sucked, but I heard with enough mods it's not bad grabbed it during the sale a few weeks ago or whatever.

There a decent lists someplace of mods to install?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I only ever played it on launch via Gamepass and it kinda sucked, but I heard with enough mods it's not bad grabbed it during the sale a few weeks ago or whatever.

There a decent lists someplace of mods to install?

I played around with a lot of different Mods before getting bored.

I think a lot of it is kind of subjective, depending on what you're looking for. I ended up installing more Mods than I wanted and then turning a bunch off.

I started out going through Nexus Mods when I was playing it on Epic. Here's a link to Baradul's list on Steam, for what he often uses for his playthroughs on Twitch

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heh well I installed a bunch of most popular crap from the Steam workshop and currently cannot play the game as enemy tanks are taking 12+ medium laser burns to destroy and are carrying around SRM20s and AC10s against this starting light mech lmao

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if that would be Scary Tanks or something else.

That was fun for a little while but then I hit a mission with a stupid about of tanks and I turned that shit off permanently.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This is what all I have installed currently, though no idea how many are currently usable due to game updates.

1698296729301.png

1698296759389.png

1698296803047.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I actually finished the campaign this time, but holy shit this game is still so fucking bad

A couple of years of DLCs and uncountable mods helped, but the core systems are still a complete joke.

There's 0 logic or flow to enemies in maps at all, and things just spawn in at complete random (often directly in front you). There's dropships of enemy mechs now which I don't remember from launch, but they are only around...sometimes? Like you'll get a dropship with an enemy lance landing, but then also that same map will have a dozen additional random mechs just appear on the terrain where ever they want.

The defend target missions are just complete tedium in trying to guess/predict which random part of the map the next pack of 4 enemies will spawn at, then hoping they don't spawn inside terrain or are otherwise stuck, and mostly just running circles around the map trying to find them all.

Allied AI still doesn't function in any meaningful way that I can tell? Either a DLC or a mod added a ton of archetypes for AI like sniper, brawler, missile boat, etc, but near as I can tell none of them work or if they do don't change the AI significantly enough to be noticeable. At least they mostly obey move to target commands now? That is when they aren't stuck on terrain someplace and require you to swap control to them to navigate them out of it.

The pilot DLC I downloaded actually has better/more voice acting in it for the custom fan pilots than the entire regular game does.

When is Piranha gonna finally fucking die so a real studio can scoop up this IP.