Mechwarrior Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://mwomercs.com/

F2P, no pay2win options, giant fucking robots with guns.

I must be missing something. This game isn't getting any love around here? I randomly caught a dev stream on twitch.tv the other day, gave it a shot, and I'm hooked.

It's definitely not for everybody (call of duty kids) - the combat is fairly slow paced at times. From what I've read, it's been changing drastically from patch to patch as they're still working on adding all the features they want while keeping things balanced but that's to be expected from a beta. My only real complaint is that the queue system is archaic and the game modes suck. There's 2 different king of the hill type modes and most of the time people ignore the objectives on purpose and just fight.

That being said it's a ton of fun. Everything feels like I remember it. Combat, mechlab customization, blasting a mech in the face with multiple PPCs and gauss. I was never into MW hardcore but they seem to be following the tabletop rules as accurately as possible without making the game unfun.

Don't know anyone who's playing it yet so if you give it a try add "DZ Arkael" to friends.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I won't play simply on the basis of the issues surrounding them and the Living Legends mod suspending all development. People on both sides claim there was no strong arming or legal maneuvering, but I have my doubts.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So anyone playing this currently that can comment?

Saw the Atlas and was all like damn! I gotta install this!

Installed it, saw the atlas costs $20 (3400+ ec) and slowly lost interest (most mechs are $15-$30). Thought the game was all open world, turns out it's World of Tanks but with mechs. Call me a puss, but I like lookingaroundthe shit I buy or earn in game, yeah yeah I know no 3rd person camera, but bleh.

By the time I got done writing this post, Revo got done uninstalling. Will stick with Defiance. Anyhow, be cool to get some feedback from anyone that played it recently. May install in the superfuture.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
I play it. I'm not super happy with the devs at the moment, but it's not terrible.

Basically when you start, you get a cadet bonus. So after like 20-30 matches you can buy pretty much any mech. Bigger does not necessarily mean better.

Lots of customization. If you enjoy Battletech/Mechwarrior and are a casual player you will enjoy it.

Only reason I'd spend money on the game is to convert mech exp to general exp. But even that isn't necessary.

I'd do a bit of research on the boards before picking which mech I buy.

I can probably answer most questions.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Also they added a new option called training grounds recently. If you are new to the game, pick a trial mech and go there. The trial mechs suck, but there is normally 1 of them that is decent at any given set.

But it will give you a chance to figure things out without getting killed immediately.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
So it is indeed just World of Tanks, but instead of historical tanks, it is customizable mechs?

How "fast" is it? A slower, more tactical game like WoT or more shootery?

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Hmm, well I haven't played world of tanks.

Based on reading threads, I'd say similar vein, but not exactly the same.

I think the style of game depends on how you play. If you are doing like coordinated 8 mans with teamspeak, it can be pretty tactical.

If you are just dropping and pugging it tends to be more fast paced shootery.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Also keep in mind it's missing a few key parts like community warfare and it's suppose to expand from 8 mechs per team to 12. So it's still evolving.

Like I said, I'm not happy with the dev's current direction. So I don't know where it will end up. For a free game, it's a good time killer imho.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Its half-finished in even the more important aspects they were planning a year ago, and development is slow. That said, its fun. Nothing you play all day, every day, but a nice diversion if you load it up occasionally. It is no MMO though, it is World of Tanks without a ton of features like conquest (that's a big minus) but instead of tanks you have fairly customizable battlemechs (thats a plus). I'm on the fence on the game really, but my main beef is that their development speed is incredibly slow. Not sure if they lack money or are just in way over their heads. They're heading in a good direction with the last two maps which are much bigger and allow for actual tactics if your team plays well together, as opposed to the very brawly early maps.

My suggestion would be to stick with it for 30ish matches to get a feel for the weight classes, buy a mech and customize it, and then decide if you like the game based on that. Trial mechs are unfortunately stock Battletech versions from 20 years ago and the change from turn-based board game to real-time simulator doesnt leave those loadouts in a good spot.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Anyone still playing this? I haven't been but I still get emails; saw something about the Wolverine and Griffin mechs today. Looking at their page for Project Phoenix made me scratch my head a little bit; there had been a Project Phoenix TRO back in the day that had covered all of the Unseen, but looking at the mechs they have, all are from Dougram except for the Locust. I thought that they might have just been doing what was done prior in making changes to the artwork to get around licensing, but in that case I'd think that they'd be able to spit out all the Unseen, and not just the Dougram mechs and the Locust.

There are prob posts on their forum that talk about it but I didn't feel like digging that deep.

54e7djul.jpg

http://mwomercs.com/phoenix
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/134...0-03-sep-2013/

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Ive been playing this for a few months now and really enjoy it. Im looking forward to getting the mechs from the Saber package but I dont really like how you have to buy the Project Phoenix in some capacity first, you cant just buy the Saber ones. Can always wait for the non-hero variant's I guess and purchase them with in game cash but they wont be out until sometime early next year.

Buffylol

N00b
I played this in alpha and beta, loved it but put it down because I was having trouble reprogramming my joystick to work with the game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Game is pretty as hell, combat feels good, audio is amazing. F2P model is a pile of horseshit. You'll get ~7 million of their currency for your first 25 games, which is enough to buy about 3/4 of a mech (can't even afford some of the assault chassis, can't customize anything worth a shit). From there you're looking at earning 20,000-120,000 currency per game depending how well you do (which will be awful until you can finish building a real loadout with doubles, xl engines, ferro armor, whatever), with weapons/engines/upgrades costing as much as several million per part.

I really want to like this game because Mechwarrior is awesome, but I just cannot handle the f2p in it. It just defeats the entire purpose of a Mechwarrior game when 99% of the customization is behind the worlds biggest grind/pay wall.

Oh, and if you want to open your wallet, you're looking at about 10-35$ per chassis, for one variant (different hardpoints and configurations of the same chassis). Their big promotion right now is 80$ for 4 chassis and a couple variants of each, which is about the cheapest I've seen for real cash.

Now that I'm done bitching, ign is Dog Solitude and I still play it a bunch because it's Mechwarrior and it's easy to play a handful of matches in a half hour or whatever you have free.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been playing this quite a bit lately. Even with BF4 beta out today I just want to get home and blow things up with my Heavy Metal. As cheesy as it sounds the rock music blasting every time you blow someone away never gets old.

Bladefury

N00b
Loving this game. A bit expensive to buy stuff, true, but easy to jump into quickly (15 minutes max timer per match.) New map was just released, new Mechs constantly in production. Combat feels as chaotic as it truly should.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Ive been playing it pretty solidly for a few months now and still love it. As Ronne said, their FTP model is rough on the wallet if you play on a budget. My advice is to pony up 15-20 bucks and buy a hero mech (my suggestions are a Firebrand, Ilya Muromets or a Dragon Slayer). Hero mechs cost real dollars, but come with a C-Bill (in-game currency) boost so it makes generating cash a bit easier plus you get a badass mech with most of the bells and whistles already on it.

My pilot name is "SR Nyx", look me up.

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
bought one of the starter packs pre-release and got access to the closed beta and fucking hated the game, but it sounds like its more fun now might try it Again once i get my new PC

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Feel free to add me for grouping up. I'm going to be playing quite a bit until bf4 launches.

game name: "Remains Intact"

Usually pilot assaults or lights. I'm only average at both.