Medical Bills/Bankruptcy/etc.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If Tarisk really was so rational or cognizant, he could have just signed out AMA (against medical advice). Doesn't sound like he was chained and locked down for 4 days.
ITT: some dumbass reveals he doesn't know what the word involuntary means.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
ITT: some dumbass reveals he doesn't know what the word involuntary means.
Again, you choose to believe everything Tarisk has told you. Sounds to me like he voluntarily chose to go seek treatment. Beyond that we don't know how they viewed his condition. Tarisk makes it sound like he was perfectly rational....in which case, he could have signed out AMA. If he was irrational, then they would keep him to prevent harm to others,and all Tarisk's talk about how perfectly fine he was makes no sense.

They are a for-profit center. What reason would they have to hold someone for 4 days that has a high likelihood of not paying? I'm sure they checked his insurance status etc. when he got checked in. Why take the risk on losing money on someone who didn't have an issue?

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Wow, great response. I can see you love cartoons. Still waiting for you to explain to me why a for-profit center wants to hold someone for 4 days who can't pay. For apparently no reason, because Tarisk was completely rational by his account.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not like multiple possible answers to that question have already been posted in this thread or anything.

Dumbass.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Link one.

Genius.

It's not like an involuntary hold is something taken lightly. Especially when the person can't pay and you know you are gonna take a wash on it. They held him because they felt he was going to harm himself or another, knowing they were probably going to lose money. So it probably was something more serious than we are being told.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That's just the way things are, for better or for worse. We are set up to protect society against the <1% that wants to harm us.

Look at how many billions of dollars we waste on TSA trying to catch terrorists bombing our planes. It's become a huge pain in the ass for travelers such as me, you and the other 99.9% of people who will never commit a terror act. But we do it to try to catch the 1 in a billion person who will bomb a plane. And doing a horrible job at it I might add.
You make no sense unless you are trying to back up my point and are really bad at writing. When the TSA probes your ass for full sized toothpaste tubes they don't bill you for their time, the cost of the instruments and rent on the semi-private room they did it in. The costs are born by the people who passed the law authorizing them to do it. As they should have been in this case.

Wow, great response. I can see you love cartoons. Still waiting for you to explain to me why a for-profit center wants to hold someone for 4 days who can't pay. For apparently no reason, because Tarisk was completely rational by his account.
The insurance already paid for most of it. I guess you missed that part. Hospital is probably only pursuing collections so the insurance companies can't come back and use failure to collect the co pay as proof that they're purposely over-charging. Also because they're greedy. I wouldn't be surprised if the collections department barely broke even.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Now that I think about it, wouldn't bankruptcy be worse than an unpaid hospital bill on your credit? At least for close to a decade?
That's just the way things are, for better or for worse. We are set up to protect society against the <1% that wants to harm us.

Look at how many billions of dollars we waste on TSA trying to catch terrorists bombing our planes. It's become a huge pain in the ass for travelers such as me, you and the other 99.9% of people who will never commit a terror act. But we do it to try to catch the 1 in a billion person who will bomb a plane. And doing a horrible job at it I might add.

Same with medical care. Tarisk CHOSE to go seek treatment. No one forced him to. And no one cares if he's rational 99% of the time, it's the 1% of the time he might be irrational and harm himself or others. Just like bipolar people, we don't care when they are under control, we care when they get delusional or harmful. Rational people don't tell others they might drive into oncoming traffic or that the only reason they won't shoot other people is they don't believe in guns. Those words would never escape my mouth, certainly not when I'm being psychologically evaluated. And that's the best case scenario, we have to believe that is what really Tarisk said. It could have been worse.

If there's two categories of people who never own up to how fucked up they are, it's psychotics and criminals. Everyone in jail thinks they are innocent or undeserving of their punishment, crazy people always think they aren't as crazy as they are. When either group tells me a story, I take what they say with a grain of salt. We should all be doing that as well with the picture Tarisk has painted us.

If Tarisk really was so rational or cognizant, he could have just signed out AMA (against medical advice). Doesn't sound like he was chained and locked down for 4 days.

Also, if he was at a for-profit facility, the last thing they would want is a patient like Tarisk, since he's a non-payer. The same reason why for-profit hospitals divert non-payers away from their ERs to county/government hospitals instead. Tarisk makes it sound like they kept him because they wanted more money from him, when in reality they would have wanted to kick his ass out the first day because he has no money. Don't forget it costs money to send people to collections, or collections take a significant amount of any recoverable amount.
That's the problem. I told them I wanted to go the ama route. This whole place just is awful with their money. Their guy in charge of billing and collections and his boss don't know the difference between net and gross income. Because even when I gave them numbers they kept going to my gross when comparing expenses.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I take it you have no experience with this subject if you think this only happens to people wearing straight jackets while slamming their head into the walls. They're legally mandated to hold him there for 72 hours.

This happens to completely rational people all the time. The legal justification is that they are not "rational" due to their suicidal ideation, but it's a pretty wide spectrum.