Men's Fashion

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
http://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-dress-shirts/-/N-fzlgreat shirts at a decent price point, also having a tailor make you a shirt is not much more expensive.
Careful not to overdress. If an engineer who is seldom called to meet with any management walks into a meeting ad hoc in a tailored shirt, mgmt might draw the conclusion he is a schmuck trying to impress someone. For this guy, I would suggest having a warbrobe that gives the impression of being well dressed while drawing no attention and being completely forgettable.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you are coming from polos and jeans to wearing business casual every day, dont bother getting some famous or expensive brand like brooks brothers. Just go to whatever department store and find something that fits well, is cheap, and has a deal for like 5 or more. Then find a similar deal for slacks, and keep the colors of the pants grey, blue or black, and avoid tan/brown. If you are tallish, perry ellis might do from dillards or wherever. then get a brown and black (DRESS) belt, and 3-5 pairs of dress shoes (with ten pairs of the same black socks). spend no more than 50 USD per shirt, and 100 USD per slacks, and 200 USD per shoes. Its far more important that the clothes fit well (slim at the waist, not tight at the chest, no material in the back/legs, sleeves/pants are right length) the brand doesnt matter. Use that as the base of your everyday wardrobe. It will be cheap, you wont care if 1 or 2 gets ruined/stained/ripped whatever. After this, you can experiment by trying some new styles/brands. For example, if you have your heart set on brooks brothers, they have a nice wrinkle free line, but these will run 120-150 USD per shirt.
Can I ask why you tell him to stay away from tan/brown?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are coming from polos and jeans to wearing business casual every day, dont bother getting some famous or expensive brand like brooks brothers. Just go to whatever department store and find something that fits well, is cheap, and has a deal for like 5 or more. Then find a similar deal for slacks, and keep the colors of the pants grey, blue or black, and avoid tan/brown. If you are tallish, perry ellis might do from dillards or wherever. then get a brown and black (DRESS) belt, and 3-5 pairs of dress shoes (with ten pairs of the same black socks). spend no more than 50 USD per shirt, and 100 USD per slacks, and 200 USD per shoes. Its far more important that the clothes fit well (slim at the waist, not tight at the chest, no material in the back/legs, sleeves/pants are right length) the brand doesnt matter. Use that as the base of your everyday wardrobe. It will be cheap, you wont care if 1 or 2 gets ruined/stained/ripped whatever. After this, you can experiment by trying some new styles/brands. For example, if you have your heart set on brooks brothers, they have a nice wrinkle free line, but these will run 120-150 USD per shirt.
I would agree about making sure whatever you buy fits. Cheaper shirts that fit better are infinitely better than more expensive shirts that don't fit good, although there is probably a break even point somewhere.

Also, regular Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts are $92 according to the website

Khane

I would agree about making sure whatever you buy fits. Cheaper shirts that fit better are infinitely better than more expensive shirts that don't fit good, although there is probably a break even point somewhere.

Also, regular Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts are $92 according to the website
You can get the "low end" non iron shirts for $90 (before tax) each or 3 for $225. The step up shirts are $125 each and no special deals for multiples. I have each style and the $125 shirts are nicer but not really worth the extra money if you ask me.

splorge

Can I ask why you tell him to stay away from tan/brown?
Three reasons:
1. Its easier to mix and match your shirts with pants/shoes/ties if you stick to the three colors I mentioned. tan/brown looks less professional/corporate, more smart casual than business casual. 3. Its easier to make fashion faux pas with tan/brown.

Brown is a fine color for slacks if done correctly, but get the basics down first.

The Nozz_sl

shitlord
Here's some fashion advice I got (copy pasta'd) from a GQ article awhile back:

1. Buy a 2 button suit
2. Chances are, you?re wearing your suit a size too large. Its shoulders should hug your shoulders (not jut out past them). And ask your tailor to size the sleeves so they stop at the hinge of your
wrist (not halfway down your thumb) and to size the pants so they break once (not gather in a baggy mess at your heels).
3. Toe taps on leather soled shoes
4. Matching wood hangers
5. If you?re going to own one sweater, make it a charcoal gray v-neck. It goes perfectly with a dark suit in fall or winter and with jeans or cords in spring.
6. A black J.M. Weston belt works with khakis, jeans, suits, everything. It is the one belt every man should own.
7. A dark, slim tie will instantly give any ensemble a younger, cooler feel. And unlike wider ties, it looks as good with a jean jacket as with a suit jacket.
8. Raincoats should be trimmed and tailored like a suit.
9. Invest in a classic one- or two-button tuxedo with peak or notch lapels.
10. Learn to tie a bowtie.
11. Get a long, dark scarf and don?t wait till the temperature plunges below zero to wear it. Skip the parka and pair it with a suit or a sport coat and jeans.
12. Learn to form a little dimple in your tie.
13. Cordovan dress shoes are indispensable.
14. If you want your suits to survive, dry-clean them infrequently. Instead, have them steam-pressed when they need shaping up.
15. Pocket squares,are square.
16. Tell your dry cleaner you want your dress shirts cleaned without starch and pressed by hand. It?s pricier but worth it?they?ll look crisper and last longer.
17. The gray crew-neck sweatshirt is an American classic that?s more versatile than ever. You can wear it on its own, underneath a jean jacket, or even with a suit and sneakers.
18. When you wear your trim two-button suit, leave the belt in the closet ? you don?t need one. Going beltless lends the suit a clean, confident look.
19. Wear cuff links without a tie. It will give you a rakish yet elegant flair.
20. When wearing sunglasses with a suit or sport coat, wire-rimmed aviators are your most refined and understated option.
21. Sambas are the one sneaker that always goes well with a suit. But be sure to dress down the suit?nix the tie and go for a T-shirt, an open-collared oxford, or even a layered track jacket.

Superhiro

God, some of those are fucking awful.

Wood hangers? A tuxedo? Bowties? No belt w/ suit? CUFF LINKS WITHOUT A TIE?

What to do if you are a trendy fashion fag.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You know that stuff is fashionable because each mannequin's hip is jutting out to one side.

Some of that stuff looks way too tight to be comfortable. I don't wear baggy clothes or anything, but I like a little bit of leeway just for comfort. In the second post, the black button-down just looks like it's stifling.

Khane

Why all dem mannequins black? I can't help but think those are very Asian from a style standpoint. All I can picture is Vash the Stampede on his day off.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The last one. The hoodie ones are way too flared for me also, but I assume you wouldn't wear it like it is on the mannequin.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the last one I would never have zipped up and would have shirt and tie underneath, typically not supposed to zip up all the way. Hopefully they are pretty slim, been training for marathons and im 6'1-6'2" and weigh around 160 atm =/. the one hoodie looks like its trying to be tron

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I typically try to stay the hell away from ordering stuff online, with my body size its hard to find stuff that fits right. And if you didnt notice a lot of te shit lis bassed off games like assassins creed/Final fantasy hah

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Apparently I mixed up my dry cleaning bag with goodwill donations, so now I'm stuck with no dress shirts and I can't find the pants to the one suit that fucking fits. Just had to go buy a new one for a presentation Saturday.

Goddammitsomuch.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Moral of the story? Don't give to charity.

How long was it between the mix up and when you noticed? I'm sure you could call Goodwill and explain what happened.