Men's Fashion

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went back to kohls today and got a shitload more shirts for $12 each.. can't beat that for work shirts. Ain't nothing fancy, but for everyday wear it's good enough for me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There really isn't much wrong with those van heusen shirts for that price tag. They will wear out a lot sooner than a more expensive shirt, and they aren't as comfortable but they work. You should consider buying a nice shirt every couple months to throw into the rotation. Eventually you'll have enough that you won't have to wear the cheaper stuff anymore and you won't break the bank in the process. You may not think so now but there is a very noticeable difference between a nice, tailored dress shirt and the stuff off the rack at Kohl's. They are WAY more comfortable.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've had a few Van Heusen shirts but the sleeves are always way shorter than on other shirts... usually I only wear them in the summer when I can roll them up and not look like a nerd.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I still have some Croft and Barrow shirts from years ago that I have managed to keep in good condition. The Van Heusen shirts always has this shiny look that I didn't like. Once I get down to a 34 waist I think I will look into buying some good, tailored shirts, maybe just one or two at first. I just don't want to do that and then end up having to buy more soon.

Khane

Most people don't understand just how much better a properly fit, tailored shirt looks until they see themselves in one.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I still have some Croft and Barrow shirts from years ago that I have managed to keep in good condition. The Van Heusen shirts always has this shiny look that I didn't like. Once I get down to a 34 waist I think I will look into buying some good, tailored shirts, maybe just one or two at first. I just don't want to do that and then end up having to buy more soon.
Tailored shirts don't have to be expensive. Uniqlo and Jcrew make affordable (30$-60$) tailored shirts with decent build quality if you are looking to dip your toes right now. Key to getting a good fit is to find your correct size. Most Americans nowadays are accustomed to wearing vanity sizes, where say a medium sized shirt is in reality one or two sizes larger then what the tag says. Use a cloth measuring tape to get your size.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Tailored shirts don't have to be expensive. Uniqlo and Jcrew make affordable (30$-60$) tailored shirts with decent build quality if you are looking to dip your toes right now. Key to getting a good fit is to find your correct size. Most Americans nowadays are accustomed to wearing vanity sizes, where say a medium sized shirt is in reality one or two sizes larger then what the tag says. Use a cloth measuring tape to get your size.
I'm confused by the way you are using the term "tailored". To me a tailored shirt is always assembled by a tailor to fit your body. If you need to find the correct size, it is by definition not tailored. If you buy bespoke suits, I've always found it easy and simple to buy shirts at the same as they already have your measurements. Most tailors are equipped to make both suits and shirts. A decent tailored shirt will start at 100 USD in my part of the world. If you want top brand fabric like LP, thomas mason, Alumo, zegna etc, then its going to cost 200-300/shirt. A tailored shirt is not just about the fit, its also about customizing it to your job/environment/tastes - you can change the front placket, the sleeve placket length, the button material (mother of pearl, bone etc.), cuff length, the inner lining materials/patterns, the collar style, and so on.

The skill of the tailor is the single biggest factor in how decent a tailored shirt comes out. The fabric is also very important. You should expect a tailored shirt to hold form for at least 100 wears.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm confused by the way you are using the term "tailored". To me a tailored shirt is always assembled by a tailor to fit your body. If you need to find the correct size, it is by definition not tailored. If you buy bespoke suits, I've always found it easy and simple to buy shirts at the same as they already have your measurements. Most tailors are equipped to make both suits and shirts. A decent tailored shirt will start at 100 USD in my part of the world. If you want top brand fabric like LP, thomas mason, Alumo, zegna etc, then its going to cost 200-300/shirt. A tailored shirt is not just about the fit, its also about customizing it to your job/environment/tastes - you can change the front placket, the sleeve placket length, the button material (mother of pearl, bone etc.), cuff length, the inner lining materials/patterns, the collar style, and so on.

The skill of the tailor is the single biggest factor in how decent a tailored shirt comes out. The fabric is also very important. You should expect a tailored shirt to hold form for at least 100 wears.
I am using the term tailored to describe the fit of a shirt, I am not referring to bespoke clothing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am about to reach into homosexual level here but can anyone recommend a really good iron? I have some cheap one and it's starting to spit out shit when I hit the steam button. It is almost like dirt. Perhaps there is some maintenance required that I never performed, but in any case I'd like to get a really nice one.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah that's rust. You have to get the water out of it after use and if it has a top or something you should leave that open so the remnants can evaporate. I had a Shark for years and years that I really liked but then my wife ironed some adhesive shit and ruined it so now we have some Sunbeam that I hate because instead of having buttons for the temp it has a dial, which is in no way accurate. Not that the buttons wee the picture of accuracy, but the dial just feels worse to me. I'd recommend the Shark with the buttons and not spending a ton of money on an iron, I can't imagine there is really a big difference in high end irons.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The best iron I ever owned was a super old dry iron: just a triangular piece of metal, a handle, and an electric cord running into it. It didn't even have an on/off switch. I don't iron my clothes because in general I'm an unfashionable bum who doesn't give a fuck. However, if I did, I'd try to find another one like that.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider

Some of the off the rack brands in the US use tailored rather than slim fit to describe a slimmer cut shirt. Jos. A Bank and at least a few others do.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I assume by tailored, Mix was trying to differentiate between buying a shirt that is size Large and a shirt that is size 15? 34 or whatever

Khane

When I was talking about tailored I was referring to buying a nicer shirt (like brooks brothers) and then having it custom tailored. You should know your general measurements (I'm a 16 neck, 34 sleeve). I like going to an actual tailor and picking fabric and options but that gets very expensive very quick and 2 out of the 3 I've gone to were old Italian guys stuck in their classic ways. While they did a good job they just didn't understand or didn't care for modern fits (slimmer, more form fitting) and literally wouldn't do it for me. They said "yea I can make it slimmer fitting" but when I got the shirts they would still be what I consider "baggy". Especially in the arms. But that was a problem with the tailors obviously

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah that's rust. You have to get the water out of it after use and if it has a top or something you should leave that open so the remnants can evaporate. I had a Shark for years and years that I really liked but then my wife ironed some adhesive shit and ruined it so now we have some Sunbeam that I hate because instead of having buttons for the temp it has a dial, which is in no way accurate. Not that the buttons wee the picture of accuracy, but the dial just feels worse to me. I'd recommend the Shark with the buttons and not spending a ton of money on an iron, I can't imagine there is really a big difference in high end irons.
Figured it was something like that.. I leave it open all the time, maybe after it cools I should lay it flat or something.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They probably also just corrode after a while, probably not a lot you can do about that. It seems like so many things these days are made to be disposable.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Once I'm done ironing, i empty the iron and plug it back to get it to temperature. Then i wiggle it around to boil off any residual water so it's entirely dry. I've done that for nearly 20years and my iron is still good as new. My mother has been using hers since the early 70s. So yeah, buy a decent one and always get it dry and it will last pretty much forever.