Men's Fashion

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Gaming Ghost>
I see alot of recommendations for Charles Tyrwhitt on this thread...maybe it's cause that's the only UK brand that's available in the States but there are much better options.

The reason being that just as Saville Row in London is considered the home of UK tailoring then Jermyn Street is considered the home of mens shirts and brands like TM Lewin on Jermyn Street have been around since the 1800s.

Charles Tyrwhitt by comparison was set up in the 80s when he was still at Uni and only recently moved into Jermyn Street. My point is Charles Tyrwhitt gives the illusion of a "heritage" brand without the history and pedigree to back it up.

Of course if you don't care about that then by all means shop where you want

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The shirts are of a high enough quality that when you get a deal and only have to pay $29.50 per shirt you should buy them because they are of much higher quality than a normal ~$30 shirt.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Gaming Ghost>
The shirts are of a high enough quality that when you get a deal and only have to pay $29.50 per shirt you should buy them because they are of much higher quality than a normal ~$30 shirt.
Fair point, I have no idea what US prices are like. Over here all the Jermyn Street brands are at a similar price point - 4 for ?100 so I usually go with TM Lewin. It helps that they don't bombard me with catalogues every month like CT that go straight in the bin.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bros what are your thoughts on undershirts? I realize the classic tee design undershirt is dual-purposed in that it also absorbs underarm moisture, but generally I don't have that problem. I used to where the tee underneath but realized I don't like the way that you can see it through lighter colored shirts and you can always see the sleeves underneath someones shirt. I've since switched to wife beater, but I'm questioning if that's worse or not.

What do you bros do? Tee? V-neck? Wifebeater? Commando?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I commando it up. I feel so free. I don't really understand the point of the wifebeater, it can't soak up pit sweat, it doesn't offer a contrasting color option because you can't see it under the neck of the buttondown, and it makes you look like a greasy Italian WOP.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I wear white t-shirts. I'm hairy and I sweat a lot so I need the absorption in the armpits and the extra layer to cover up the faint outline of my Burt Reynolds chest hair.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
T-shirts under another shirt (unless a sweater) feel so wrong on me. I'm hairy but don't sweat unless nervous. I also enjoy unbuttoning an extra button to look like a coked up 70s disco guy - would just need the gold chain.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
White or lighter colored shirt = gray v-neck. Cant see gray through white.

Dark shirt = wifebeater

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I always wear an undershirt, a tee. Just habit from the military that makes sense to me somehow and I really can't imagine not doing it. Wearing nothing would be weird as shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My problem with wife beaters is I got in the habit of wearing them under my tshirts in my early teens and now feel naked if I don't wear them everyday

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah i never understood the purpose of wife beaters. I mean the whole reason to wear a undershirt is to make sure your antiperspirant doesnt get on your shirt and stain it and help absorb sweat. Wife beaters cant really do both of those.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
this;

woo_wife_beater_by_ozzie831-d4yinwk.jpg

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As far as wife beaters they fill out the shirt depending on your weight and you can tuck them in so you never show skin underwear if youre bending, playing sports ect and if you're playing sports you can take your nice shirt off and not go bare. I wear layers but I've never done it to absorb sweat

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
Anyone buy a pair of timberland oxfords? I bought a grey pair with a hint of black in them for 300 at nordstroms. They look damn fine. I highly recommend those or the brown ones.

niss_sl

shitlord
The two shirts I ordered arrived today and I'm very impressed by the cut and quality of the fabric. I just hope they last and keep through the washes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The 15 dollar Croft and Barrow shirts I get from Kohls survive the wash just fine. Is this really a thing? These expensive shirts not surviving washes?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The 15 dollar Croft and Barrow shirts I get from Kohls survive the wash just fine. Is this really a thing? These expensive shirts not surviving washes?
Pretty much all cotton clothing will eventually start to fall apart after numerous washes through the spin cycle. How many washes depends on the quality of the cotton, the quality/type of weave, and thread count. You don't have to take them to a dry cleaners, but a lot of people do(with respect to expensive shirts). Just make sure you trust the dry cleaner to not fuck up your shirt. A good cold water soak in the sink would do you just fine. Use a detergent like Woolite black to wash your shirts. And never throw them in the dryer as your shirt will shrink especially in the sleeves. If you have the room, spread them on the floor with the sleeves extended, the entire shirt wrapped between towels. Drying them with the sleeves extended out will help to prevent some of the shrinking, but cotton shirts will almost always shrink some after the first wash. Basically, the less agitation the better.

Anyways, you shouldn't really wash your shirts after each use unless you sweat like a pig or something.