Men's Fashion

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
God strike me down for making this thread. Please god, no swamp donkeys.

So I'm graduating soon, moving into a corporate world. I need to get a good amount of shirts/slacks/suits. I'm not going to be a fancy lawyer or anything, so I don't need absolute top of the line.

Thinking about heading over to Jos A. Bank and grabbing some suits. From what I've heard, their stuff isn't too bad and the prices are pretty good for starter suits.

I went to Macy's the other day and their suits were the shittiest things I had ever seen, and more expensive than more reputable places.

Where do you guys go for your fashion needs? I'd like to get a few solid suits for work, weddings, presentations, etc.

Also, what colors are the best to get in these situations? I was probably going to go for a bunch of dark/charcoal suits, but I'm not sure. Also, are there different suit styles? Literally know nothing about them.

Pardon me for making the gayest thread I have ever made.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you buy one suit, buy a navy suit. I don't like black suits at all.

Brooks Brothers is where I've gotten my two suits. Navy and gray/charcoal. I probably only wear them a couple times a month but they've lasted me 6 years now. Brooks Brothers will also tailor anything you buy there for free, not sure about Jos A Bank or other places (for example, Nordstrom charges for some alterations but not all)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was thinking Charcoal too, maybe get an additional black for things like funerals (I seem to go to a lot).

Men's Wearhouse is giving me a free $500 suit for the tux rentals we have going through them, but it's not available until 2 weeks before I get married.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Eyashusa is right, Navy and Charcoal are the best starting suits, black suits are for funerals and black tie events really.

As far as suit styles, there are basically American and Euro suits (I tend to favor Euro since American styles tend to be for fatter Americans). So pick one that works better for you if you are slender or a fatty
https://www.google.com/search?q=euri...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Jos A Bank is definitely an American styled suit clothier. I never liked them at all, their suits seem to be tailored for men with horrible physiques. Best thing you can really do is to nail down a great tailor in your area (I use this guy in Chicago:http://paulchangcustomtailor.com/) and just bring him off the rack suits to tailor for you. Tailoring makes all the difference in the world. Go online and find a name brand suit that you like (CK, Hugo Boss, Burberry, DKNY, etc.) and then just take it to your tailor. For $400-$600 (cost of suit + tailoring) you'll have a suit that looks and fits great.

If you don't have a big budget to work with, I'd suggest not skimping on the suits, but cutting corners on other stuff. For shirts, ties and sweaters, you can hit H&M or Express.

P.S. Styleforum.net is one of the best men's fashion forums online and you can read their primer on buying a suit:http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kin...t-should-i-buy

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thanks for the link. Budget isn't really a concern, but I don't want to spent more than $400-600 at the moment as we will surely have last minute wedding expenses.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Don't buy American styled suits ("banker" suits) as they are extremely bulky. Go for the slim fitted suits. Brooks Brothers is great, but, they are *extremely* expensive. Hugo Boss makes some excellent tailored and slim fitting suits.

Stay away from Men's Warehouses. They're cheap for a reason.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like Brooks Brothers as well. I tried looking at those style forums and others in the past but they seem to like the hipster, tight pants, weird looking shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't buy American styled suits ("banker" suits) as they are extremely bulky. Go for the slim fitted suits. Brooks Brothers is great, but, they are *extremely* expensive. Hugo Boss makes some excellent tailored and slim fitting suits.

Stay away from Men's Warehouses. They're cheap for a reason.
This settles it.. going with the gay guy for fashion advice.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Araysar is right on the money in regards to H&M. They're low quality but they fit really well and they actually can look pretty good. They're also pretty fucking cheap so you can get a lot more for your money.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I have two hugo boss suits (one a black 3 piece with i guess you could call it a textured stripe, and the other charcoal) and really like them. Got one at a HB store, and the other from Nordstrom. Had really good service from both locations.

I've only picked up casual clothes at H&M, and haven't been in a while, but they've been kinda hit and miss for me. I generally check out Banana Republic as well, and will sometimes find stuff I like quite a bit.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
One of my favorite suits is my navy pinstripe, hugo boss 2 piece, double vented. Looks amazing

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agree on slim fitting suits. Even if you are heavier, they are much better. Same with dress shirts. I always try to go with slim fit.

You need to define "extremely" expensive. Sure, Brooks Brothers has $1900+ suits, but their basic suit is $600 and that includes tailoring. You have to consider it an investment and I don't think that's a very expensive one if you take care of it and are wearing it often enough.

Check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you too.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I learned how to tailor my own dress shirts (helped that the wife had a sewing machine already). Dress shirts in the US are made for fatties for the most part. In order to get one that fits me in the shoulders/arms, it ends up looking like a fucking parachute. So I take them all in. The difference between a tailored dress shirt and one that isn't is amazing. Makes you look like a totally different person. I have a few slim fitted dress shirts, but they're hard to find. It's easy for me to buy a $25-30 dress shirt, tailor it, and make it look like it cost $100.

I have one suit that I've only ever really worn to interviews.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Nothing worse than a parachute dress shirt. Disgusting.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
For those that can't get their shirts tailored something simple like a military tuck in the back helps immensely. You can use "shirt stay" garters to be really amazing.

You know you have it right when you can grab your trousers and spin them around your waist a little bit left or right and your shirt never moves.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Make sure you know your American, Europe/French, and Italian suit sizes, yes they are all different. Get a cloth measuring tape to get your measurements. Also some clothing companies will vanity size their clothing. So while the tag may say size 34 waist in reality it is a size 32.

You may also want to wait for twice a year seasonal clearance sales where you can get most stuff off for up to 50%. Usually starts happening in June or so for spring depending on the store/brand.

Another two cheap options for suiting not yet mentioned you may want to look into is uniqlo(wish they still had j+
frown.png
) and jcrew (I know, I know).

At $600 you are kinda low balling it but should be able to find a great suit during sale time. Make sure you get a wool, wool/cotton blend. I would pass up any synthetic polyester blend suit. They tend to look tacky like men's wearhouse suits.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just recently got tired of not having a professional interview suit and went off the deep end spending a month's salary on a charcoal Ermenegildo Zegna suit. It certainly fucking fits though, jesus.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Do you really need a suit every day or will business casual with a tie suffice? 600 USD might get you one suit, but there are a lot more items to fill the wardrobe. Shoes, belts, ties, cufflinks, shirts can easily exceed the cost of the suit itself. You might want to just pick up a few pairs of nice slacks and pair it with a shirt and tie. This will save on the cost of the suit jacket. This will halve the cost compared to the suit, or you could splurge for some nice slacks at 200-300 USD / pair. anyway, most people will notice your shoes or your belt far earlier than your suit brand.

as for hugo boss - a lot of the money is going to the style/brand - they aren't the best suits. I own a few hugo super 120's and have worn them once a week for the last 5 years, and they are definitely showing their age. They aren't stitched like a proper bespoke , they are fused (glued) together. You will notice it when you have them dry cleaned.